U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM

124 posts, read 322,863 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the Law in NC of Management of Apts Complexes entering your unit without your permission. I don't know if the laws are
different in each state. I recently requested a service but they did not give me a time or day and sent Maintenance people in when I was not here. Being from NY I never had this happen and was completely blown away. It is an uncomfortable feeling to know someone has been in your place with anyone here. Am I allowed to change my lock being a rental? Has this happened to anyone else? Is this the price you pay for renting here. Thanks / Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsand2 View Post
Does anyone know the Law in NC of Management of Apts Complexes entering your unit without your permission. I don't know if the laws are
different in each state. I recently requested a service but they did not give me a time or day and sent Maintenance people in when I was not here. Being from NY I never had this happen and was completely blown away. It is an uncomfortable feeling to know someone has been in your place with anyone here. Am I allowed to change my lock being a rental? Has this happened to anyone else? Is this the price you pay for renting here. Thanks / Any feedback would be appreciated.
As far as I know, as long as they give you notice of intent to come within a certain period of time they can do it whether you are there are not. You cannot change the locks because they do not belong to you, they belong to the property owner. In the future you have to be more clear when setting up maintenance appts to say you'd like to coordinate being there to see if they can give you a time frame. Additionally, most complexes have exterminators come in and spray either monthly or quarterly for bugs, they'll most likely be doing that when you aren't home either.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 PM

Thanks- No they didn't tell me when, They just came. I sure will get it straight next time. Live and Learn huh //

Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsand2 View Post
Thanks- No they didn't tell me when, They just came. I sure will get it straight next time. Live and Learn huh //
Sorry it was so upsetting to you. Most places will work with you if you tell them you want to try to be there. Good luck with that in the future

Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 PM

624 posts, read 1,889,868 times
Agree with everything LovesMountains posted:

And sry you felt your privacy was invaded (which I agree it was) As a renter I still like to think my apt is my home but the points Loves laid out mirror my own opinion.

- You requested service to be done and unless you specified that you wanted to be there, it seems like a reasonable assumption that you'd rather the work be done as soon as possible.

- The Mgt company owns the property, apartment and everything else which means changing the locks are out. You probably aren't even allowed to paint your walls, hang an oversized picture, or even have an aquarium without asking permission.

I also rent, and recently had to put in a work order, this is what the form looks like at least for my complex:

What is the legality of Apt. Entry-untitled.jpg

Maybe as a possible positive take away from this experience, you can suggest that your apt complex have a similar form.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:46 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,112,395 times
You need to read your lease. If it is a standard NC apt lease, they reserve the right to enter your apt at any time without notice to perform maintenance, either requested by you, by one of your neighbours (in the event of a water leak) or just because they need to. They do NOT have to tell you they were there. Some do, but, it is not required. You cannot changed the locks, if you do, expect them to be drilled out and replaced (at your expense) by the management company.

In some of the more questionable complexes, there is a monthly "inspection" of apartments to ensure that the residents are keeping the place up. This is also without notice and usually when the resident is not at home. All legal and within the terms of the lease.

sorry.....

Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,646,872 times
As the others have said, in most places the management or maintenance workers can enter your apt. at any time. They have master keys for all units.

Here is the standard NC lease agreement

Right of Entry information (paragraph 15) can be found on page four, in the bottom right hand column.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 PM

Thanks again for the good advice CD people. I have just gone through the process of selling my home and making the move to CLT which I am very pleased with the decision. Moving into an apt. while deciding whether to buy brought new rules and adjustments, in life style. The complex has been very good and helpful and I didn't want to go complaining to them without knowing some of the rules.. Hopefully my lease will resurface soon and I will keep it handy. I appreciated the copy of the lease you sent and your comments. I am sure the leases are all basically the same. It was very helpful. This might be the hardest adjustment, others having access to my home but I'll adjust. Being in CLT is worth it. CD has carried me through the nightmare of relocation and all is truly appreciated. Looking forward to learning and being in the South. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte