Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many years your are going to wait for housing process bottom out?
1 year 7 50.00%
5 years 1 7.14%
10 years 1 7.14%
Indefinitely 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 18,059 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how long should I wait before buying our first home since home prices keep going down. People saying prices will keep falling for next 10 years. so should I wait 10 years. I am so lost. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 AM

494 posts, read 1,342,058 times
Well...I am selling here and hope to start building shortly after we sell. We probably won't lose to much more here since we weren't inflated to begin with and as things get bad in the North and West Coast more people will flock to the Southeastern states...especially as more and more people Telecommute or work in Sales.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:33 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,147,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight72 View Post
I was wondering how long should I wait before buying our first home since home prices keep going down. People saying prices will keep falling for next 10 years. so should I wait 10 years. I am so lost. Please help

People also say we didn't go to the moon, 9/11 was a government conspiracy and the CIA killed Kennedy.

Buy if it's affordable and a situation you are comfortable with, rent if it's not. If anyone had a crystal ball they would be filthy stinking rich from selling the information to the rest of us.

From my experience, the only houses that are losing value are the ones that were overpriced two years ago and new construction attracting first-time buyers who don't quite understand the responsibility of keeping up their lawns and making mortgage payments on time.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Default crystal ball

Its look like my other half ( not sure if its better one) have crystal ball. She was showing me some data and graph from japan land price it shows that land prices keep doing down for more then 10 years. We all tend to predict future thats is not in our hand

Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,035,324 times
I know it's a tough question, I have been toying with this as well. Personally I think we'll have a Japan style recession/bust where they had 19 years of a downward spiral. It might not be that long here but it'll be a slow decline here. Comparing the US and Japanese Housing Bubbles | Seattle Bubble — News & discussion about real estate & the housing bubble in the Seattle area.

But how long does one wait before buying, one doesn't want to wait forever.

If you can buy in cash, that's the best thing or a huge chunk down to hedge against the downturn. If you can't pay in cash you should have a good emergency fund (at least 8 months-1 year) also since there are many job losses occurring.

I'm in the same boat as you, kinda lost. I know a lot of ppl on this board will say 'it's a great time to buy' but we don't know that.

It reminds me of this graph: Google Image Result for http://www.ushousingupdate.com/japan%20housing%20crash%20vs%20us%20big.png

Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I know it's a tough question, I have been toying with this as well. Personally I think we'll have a Japan style recession/bust where they had 19 years of a downward spiral. It might not be that long here but it'll be a slow decline here. Comparing the US and Japanese Housing Bubbles | Seattle Bubble — News & discussion about real estate & the housing bubble in the Seattle area.

But how long does one wait before buying, one doesn't want to wait forever.

If you can buy in cash, that's the best thing or a huge chunk down to hedge against the downturn. If you can't pay in cash you should have a good emergency fund (at least 8 months-1 year) also since there are many job losses occurring.

I'm in the same boat as you, kinda lost. I know a lot of ppl on this board will say 'it's a great time to buy' but we don't know that.

It reminds me of this graph: Google Image Result for http://www.ushousingupdate.com/japan...20us%20big.png

Look at first graph on Comparing the US and Japanese Housing Bubbles | Seattle Bubble — News & discussion about real estate & the housing bubble in the Seattle area.

Us line is closing up very quickly with japa line. So it shows that bupple might not last that long. Need to learn how to read graph!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM

624 posts, read 2,099,579 times
I was a little disappointed with the options. I'd be a first time home buyer and would be looking to purchase before December 1st of this year. If I don't make that window, I'd probably hold off til end of 2010.

I don't understand how indefinitely is even an option? Is that included for ppl who are in their dream home or house they are going to retire in? Or for people who are just never going to buy a home and intend to rent forever?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,106,051 times
When the average cost of a local house is equal to two and a half times the average annual local wage, I'll consider that the market has corrected to the historical average level. Then I may buy. It will also depend on the tax burden at that time. The states are broke and property taxes can only go up. A lot.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,990,158 times
I think the choice to purchase should not be based on if we have bottomed out but on your own situation. If you have a good sized down payment, not necessarily 20% but closing costs plus at least 7%, if you also have a substancial saving account in addition (4 - 8 months worth of your monthly needs), if your payment is within you means (extra money each month & you can still put a good amount toward retirement) and if you are planning on staying there for at least 5 years then I say BUY NOW. Someone said it before, who cares if the home you bought for $200K goes down in value to $180K. It only matters if you plan on selling while the home is still valued low. I know a lot can come up, life is not predictable but you have to live somewhere...

Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,718,547 times
I think people have lost sight of the fact that a house is a place to live. It's not an investment. It depends on how long you plan on staying, how much money you have to put down, and how much you can afford per month. We bought our first house last summer. Of course we could have waited a few months and maybe got it a little cheaper. Maybe we could've waited ten years and got it a lot cheaper. But, we were more concerned with a)is it a good place to live b)can we easily afford monthly mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte