U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,026 times

Advertisements

Hi I am thinking of relocating from New jersey to Charlotte...big difference I am assuming. So can anybody help me with my decision. I am very confused because I love the warm weather and the fact that Charlotte is cheaper than NJ but I also like the fast paste and the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,034,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessydoug View Post
Hi I am thinking of relocating from New jersey to Charlotte...big difference I am assuming. So can anybody help me with my decision. I am very confused because I love the warm weather and the fact that Charlotte is cheaper than NJ but I also like the fast paste and the city.
paste = pace?

If you can secure a job before you move then come on down.
Charlotte is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,798,349 times
The decision has to be yours. I'm from New York and Charlotte is definitely at a slower pace. Nevertheless, Charlotte is not a sleepy city. There are plenty of arts, nightlife and entertainment. It all depends on your age, likes and dislikes. You will find rent and car insurance cheaper as well.

Please don't move here withouth a job, as Charlotte economy is having the same fate as the rest of America.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM

1,808 posts, read 5,858,818 times
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you could be making a mistake by relocating to Charlotte if the only things you want to gain from such a move are the weather and a lower cost of housing. Maybe you could share your other motivations for moving with us?

And, as mullman and arussell have already stated, make sure you have a job prior to making the move down.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:44 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you could be making a mistake by relocating to Charlotte if the only things you want to gain from such a move are the weather and a lower cost of housing. Maybe you could share your other motivations for moving with us?

And, as mullman and arussell have already stated, make sure you have a job prior to making the move down.
+1 cri...cheap?? oh no its not cheap here...housing, taxes and insurance are less expensive....but please dont base your decision on what u think and not what u know.... we lived in NJ and love it here..great weather, nice people, and great schools...again that is MY opinion....good luck..

Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 PM

121 posts, read 399,001 times
It seems like there are alot of people on this board that try to discourage people from moving to NC. The fact is that NC is much cheaper as far as housing than the northern states particularly the east coast. Future transplants shouldn't have to give anyone a reason to move anywhere and I'm sure people will have jobs lined up before moving. That is stating the obvious. Although the economy is in bad shape, that should not discouraged people from moving or relocating to a place that they feel they may have a good quality of life. Being open to relocation may be the key to landing a decent job.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
It seems like there are alot of people on this board that try to discourage people from moving to NC. The fact is that NC is much cheaper as far as housing than the northern states particularly the east coast. Future transplants shouldn't have to give anyone a reason to move anywhere and I'm sure people will have jobs lined up before moving. That is stating the obvious. Although the economy is in bad shape, that should not discouraged people from moving or relocating to a place that they feel they may have a good quality of life. Being open to relocation may be the key to landing a decent job.
I'm laughing outloud right now because us regulars just can't seem to get it right - we're either "Pollyanna's" who NEVER say a bad word about Charlotte and think it's paradise, OR, we're purposely "discouraging" people from coming here - I GIVE UP!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
Okay...moment of PMSing is passing...

Most of the people who spend their time posting here do so to HELP other people. It would NOT be helping other people if we did not paint as accurate of a picture of Charlotte and its life as we possibly can.

This means, we must remind folks that our umemployment numbers are some of the highest in the nation - next month they are predicted to hit 9%. You have NO CLUE how many people I personally have responded to on dm and threads who have either already foolishly come here without a job, or who just make all these plans to come ASSUMING that getting a job will be "no big deal". Well, guess what? IT'S A BIG DEAL. We have a glut of very well qualified and credentialed white collar workers - competition is FIECRE. I don't say that to anyone to be "discouraging"! I say that because people need that kind of information.

Yes, our housing is still more affordable than in many places in the northeast - but with the flood of folks who have come here in the last 10 years (80,000 last year alone) taxes are already rising and home prices are not as cheap as some of you have been led to believe. Today it was announced that all our interstates running in and around Charlotte may soon have to have TOLLS!!! (For you non-southerners I will explain that this is a "dirty" word, kinda like "unions". )

This IS a free country, and we are ALL Americans (well, except for a few of our closest Mexican friends among us) so of course you are free to move anywhere you'd like to move to. We aren't trying to stop anyone from coming (or going, for that matter). We're just trying to help people make the most informed decsions they can make with the best most accurate info we can provide.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,164,465 times
nessydoug, I moved to Charlotte from NJ two years ago.
Here's my advice/opinion:

1. Do NOT move without a job or a minimum of one to two years worth of living expenses saved up.

2. If you do decide to move here. Keep an open mind. Do not expect anyone to change or adjust to you.

3. If you love the fast pace of NJ/NYC, you're going to have some adjustment issues.

4. Do as much research as possible and then come and visit.

5. Trust what lovesMountains is stating. She really knows what she's talking about.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
nessydoug, I moved to Charlotte from NJ two years ago.
Here's my advice/opinion:

1. Do NOT move without a job or a minimum of one to two years worth of living expenses saved up.

2. If you do decide to move here. Keep an open mind. Do not expect anyone to change or adjust to you.

3. If you love the fast pace of NJ/NYC, you're going to have some adjustment issues.

4. Do as much research as possible and then come and visit.

5. Trust what lovesMountains is stating. She really knows what she's talking about.

I have to 2nd this statement as well...we too are down here from NJ almost 2 years for us..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte