Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many of you believe we are heading into a depression.
yes 72 57.60%
no 53 42.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

And if it isn't enuff that China and Dubai are buying up a disintegrating American economy . . . this Russian has been predicting for years that America's economy would fall apart by 2010.

As if Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S. - WSJ.com

For a decade, Russian academic Igor Panarin has been predicting the U.S. will fall apart in 2010. For most of that time, he admits, few took his argument -- that an economic and moral collapse will trigger a civil war and the eventual breakup of the U.S. -- very seriously. Now he's found an eager audience: Russian state media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:02 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And if it isn't enuff that China and Dubai are buying up a disintegrating American economy . . . this Russian has been predicting for years that America's economy would fall apart by 2010.

As if Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S. - WSJ.com

For a decade, Russian academic Igor Panarin has been predicting the U.S. will fall apart in 2010. For most of that time, he admits, few took his argument -- that an economic and moral collapse will trigger a civil war and the eventual breakup of the U.S. -- very seriously. Now he's found an eager audience: Russian state media.

I love that guy already.

Quote:
California will form the nucleus of what he calls "The Californian Republic," and will be part of China or under Chinese influence. Texas will be the heart of "The Texas Republic," a cluster of states that will go to Mexico or fall under Mexican influence. Washington, D.C., and New York will be part of an "Atlantic America" that may join the European Union. Canada will grab a group of Northern states Prof. Panarin calls "The Central North American Republic." Hawaii, he suggests, will be a protectorate of Japan or China, and Alaska will be subsumed into Russia.

"It would be reasonable for Russia to lay claim to Alaska; it was part of the Russian Empire for a long time." A framed satellite image of the Bering Strait that separates Alaska from Russia like a thread hangs from his office wall. "It's not there for no reason," he says with a sly grin.

I'm calling shenanigans (a bravo sierra, if you will). It sounds like he's trying to move up a ladder or something....

Russian Igor Panarin: America Will Break Up, Dissolve - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)

Quote:
Me: First of all, I am pretty sure this the plot of the 1984 classic film Red Dawn. Second, any political disintegration of America and accompanying economic chaos would drag Russia and China right along with it. Third, Russia, with its aging society, falling longevity rates, commodity economy and ethnic tensions, is more likely to fall apart. Fourth, this completely ridiculous.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
"The U.S. and Pittsburgh economies are likely to start improving in the middle of 2009, two bank economists told the Economic Club of Pittsburgh Tuesday"

Brian, one of the guys you quoted or pulled the article from said that one of the two reasons why he thinks we will be out of the recession by mid-'09 is because of the possibility of Obama's stimulus pacakge going through.

I mean, are you serious? IF we are to have any positive effects from that, it won't be in the short term...

How about the negative news we will be getting in regards to foreclosures this year? How about the rising unemployment figures when these companies actually start laying off people? Are you discounting that also?

Listen, I can throw a dart on the wall like you did and post some random economists and say "we are going to be out of this by mid-year", but I ain't gonna do that because common sense tells you there will be much more long term pain to come....I've been preaching this forever when the bubble started to burst back in '05 in Jersey...

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM

141 posts, read 323,013 times
You might want to research what's happening in Dubai and China a little bit better. And that Russian research is laughable; have you taken a look at their economy lately?

China

RGE - The Chinese Devil Wears Prada: Why 0% Growth is the New Size 6.8%

Dubai - the poster child of the global real estate speculation fiasco; currently seeking money from Abu Dhabi to prop it up.

Russian economy over the last year. Look at that trend line.

Russian Trading System Stock Exchange :: RTS. English

I'm not an adherent of the global decoupling theory. We're screwed, but Asia, the Middle East, and Russia are much worse off than the west. They're reliant on our purchasing power to keep their economies afloat. If you subscribe to the decoupling theory here's where investing along those lines would've got you in the past year:

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Peter Schiff Was Wrong

Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM

141 posts, read 323,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
"The U.S. and Pittsburgh economies are likely to start improving in the middle of 2009, two bank economists told the Economic Club of Pittsburgh Tuesday"

Brian, one of the guys you quoted or pulled the article from said that one of the two reasons why he thinks we will be out of the recession by mid-'09 is because of the possibility of Obama's stimulus pacakge going through.

I mean, are you serious? IF we are to have any positive effects from that, it won't be in the short term...

How about the negative news we will be getting in regards to foreclosures this year? How about the rising unemployment figures when these companies actually start laying off people? Are you discounting that also?

Listen, I can throw a dart on the wall like you did and post some random economists and say "we are going to be out of this by mid-year", but I ain't gonna do that because common sense tells you there will be much more long term pain to come....I've been preaching this forever when the bubble started to burst back in '05 in Jersey...
The initial stimulus package and TARP 1 of 2008 worked so well, so lets try it again and expect different results. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
The initial stimulus package and TARP 1 of 2008 worked so well, so lets try it again and expect different results. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
I agree. And our new Treasury Secretary doesn't even know how to calculate his own taxes correctly. LMAO.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:23 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I agree. And our new Treasury Secretary doesn't even know how to calculate his own taxes correctly. LMAO.
If I did what he did, it would be 3 hots and a cot for me, I can assure you!

I mean, nothing surprises me anymore....

Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
You might want to research what's happening in Dubai and China a little bit better. And that Russian research is laughable; have you taken a look at their economy lately?

China

RGE - The Chinese Devil Wears Prada: Why 0% Growth is the New Size 6.8%

Dubai - the poster child of the global real estate speculation fiasco; currently seeking money from Abu Dhabi to prop it up.

Russian economy over the last year. Look at that trend line.

Russian Trading System Stock Exchange :: RTS. English

I'm not an adherent of the global decoupling theory. We're screwed, but Asia, the Middle East, and Russia are much worse off than the west. They're reliant on our purchasing power to keep their economies afloat. If you subscribe to the decoupling theory here's where investing along those lines would've got you in the past year:

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Peter Schiff Was Wrong
I didn't say I agreed w/ the Russian. And there are still plenty of $$$ in the Middle East.

We already owe how much to China?

This is not an eventuality - it has already happened.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Can you believe they confirmed this guy???? And people keep saying - well, he is a protege of Larry Summers. And that is supposed to make me feel GOOD?????

Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Can you believe they confirmed this guy???? And people keep saying - well, he is a protege of Larry Summers. And that is supposed to make me feel GOOD?????
I know!!! I just feel like our government is getting more and more corrupt and either no one cares or our hands are tied. I mean shouldn't we be able to oust him and get someone honest in there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte