U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many of you believe we are heading into a depression.
yes 72 57.60%
no 53 42.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,691,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
Recession yes, a 1930's depression? Only if we allow ourselves to give up what sovereignty we still have
Judging by the amount of this we sell off each day, and what will probably be sold off near term, there won't be much more left of our "sovereignty".
My suggestion is we need to start learning some very esoteric 3rd and 4th languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 AM

Default Trying to understand "I won't be able to pay..."

May sound like a niave question but what happens after a period of unemployment and one faces foreclosure. The family loses the house. Maybe they are still collecting un employment checks which barely cover expenses.
They cut costs to the bone and rent a small apt. Still no work 6-8 months later or more. Can't afford the apt., or the cost of living to include schooling for the kids.
I'm sure that there are many people at this point now or close to it.

My question is: What happens now? Certainly,I hope noone is suggesting these families are going to live on the street.But, for the life of me I seriously don't know what the next step is.

Anybody?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,975,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
May sound like a niave question but what happens after a period of unemployment and one faces foreclosure. The family loses the house. Maybe they are still collecting un employment checks which barely cover expenses.
They cut costs to the bone and rent a small apt. Still no work 6-8 months later or more. Can't afford the apt., or the cost of living to include schooling for the kids.

My question is: What happens now? Certainly,I hope noone is suggesting these families are going to live on the street.But, for the life of me I seriously don't know what the next step is.

Anybody?
You do what you have to do. You try to find a relative or a friend who will let you temporarily move in with them.

You try to qualify for public assistance.

You figure out how to create your own economy, i.e. start a small business that takes little start up - just hard work, such as a janitorial cleaning service, car detailing, dog walking . . . you go find the population that still has money coming in and offer your services to them.

You buy an RV w/ the money you managed to liquidate when you sold the last of your assets and live in it.

You do whatever you have to do.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You do what you have to do. You try to find a relative or a friend who will let you temporarily move in with them.

You try to qualify for public assistance.

You figure out how to create your own economy, i.e. start a small business that takes little start up - just hard work, such as a janitorial cleaning service, car detailing, dog walking . . . you go find the population that still has money coming in and offer your services to them.

You buy an RV w/ the money you managed to liquidate when you sold the last of your assets and live in it.

You do whatever you have to do.
You're right Ani. Discussed over breakfast this am and the question was presented to me "what did you do in your first life?" I worked for Beech-Nut Life Savers Corp and was fired 3 days before Thanksgiving a hundred years ago. On Feb 1 of the following year (3 months later) I started my first business with $10,000 and $10,000 from two other partners. Never looked back since then.

Guess you and I answered my own question.
John

Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
You're right Ani. Discussed over breakfast this am and the question was presented to me "what did you do in your first life?" I worked for Beech-Nut Life Savers Corp and was fired 3 days before Thanksgiving a hundred years ago. On Feb 1 of the following year (3 months later) I started my first business with $10,000 and $10,000 from two other partners. Never looked back since then.

Guess you and I answered my own question.
John
Yes, we probably did answer your question, LOL, but . . . since you and I are entrepreneurs . . . maybe we are a mutual admiration society of two??? And someone else has different answers????

Old 01-28-2009, 03:30 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,632,867 times
Quote:

Anybody?
I don't think the majority of hurting people right now knows what the true meaning of sacrifice is YET. Many people still have cable, internet, cell phones. Sacrificing is living on say $150/month for food for a family of 4. (Don't think it can be done? sure it can)

I am not at that point by any means thankfully, but its the truth.

And as Ani has rightfully said, "you do what you have to do".....truer words can not be spoken.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't think the majority of hurting people right now knows what the true meaning of sacrifice is YET. Many people still have cable, internet, cell phones. Sacrificing is living on say $150/month for food for a family of 4. (Don't think it can be done? sure it can)

I am not at that point by any means thankfully, but its the truth.

And as Ani has rightfully said, "you do what you have to do".....truer words can not be spoken.
Jack I'm not questioning "sacrifice". I was asking what happens at the end of the line? The finale. Fine. Finito. The end."That's all folks."
When some of Ani's recommendations don't work or are not enacted I would guess there are two options only:
1. Move in with family, friends or a shelter
2. Live in the street God forbid.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Well, there are already places around the country where homeless people are essentially camping out. I saw some videos on this in late 2008. A lot of them are illegal immigrants and these areas are located in border states. They tap into water for parks and live in tents and RVs.

I will see if I can find any of those vids I saw last year.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 PM

How people deal with losing it all

This first video explains a "safe parking" program in place to help those living out of vehicles

YouTube - Half Homeless: Living in Cars - part 1

Here are more stories. These are people just like you and me. It can happen to anyone when there is a "perfect storm" of a financial crisis.

YouTube - Half Homeless: Living in Cars - Part 2

This aired on BBC about Americans who have lost their homes

YouTube - Economy Crisis - More Americans Living in Tent Cities

Tent city outside of LA - called "New Hope City" by those living there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVTq...eature=related

Old 01-28-2009, 05:19 PM

206 posts, read 453,153 times
It definitely will take a while before it kicks in that cellphones, cable and Starbucks are luxuries. I am planning to cancel my data plan on my blackberry. I am cutting back as a preemptive move. Maybe I'll call Verizon tomorrow - will be tough at first but I'll get used to not having internet on my phone. I agree with your point Coupon, we've been spoiled. Watch out Time Warner, DVDs from Redbox is looking really good besides, who needs the news channels anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte