Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many of you believe we are heading into a depression.
yes 72 57.60%
no 53 42.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,362,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
It definitely will take a while before it kicks in that cellphones, cable and Starbucks are luxuries.

I was talking to my wife about things this morning and specifically brought up Starbucks, wondering how on earth they're not closing more stores in addition to the ones they closed last year. Sure enough, almost prophetic, come home tonight and find out a s**t ton of them are closing shortly, along with the cost cutting measure of not brewing decaf coffee after 12 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:53 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,650,012 times
Quote:
It definitely will take a while before it kicks in that cellphones, cable and Starbucks are luxuries. I am planning to cancel my data plan on my blackberry. I am cutting back as a preemptive move. Maybe I'll call Verizon tomorrow - will be tough at first but I'll get used to not having internet on my phone. I agree with your point Coupon, we've been spoiled. Watch out Time Warner, DVDs from Redbox is looking really good besides, who needs the news channels anyway
Westchestergal I am not quite sure what a "data plan '"is but I would suppose it has something to do with a life support system. I'm really sorry that you are afflicted with this life threatening circumstance that would require you to maintain this service. I think your "preemptive" move to remove this system from your lifestyle might be "injurious to your help" and I would recommend that you think about this twice.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 AM

33 posts, read 84,378 times
Look I'm not trying to be racist but don't tell me this economy reconizes the disparities between white and black. The history has been last hired first fired. This week a man killed his entire family (wife and 5 children)because both he and his wife were fired at the same time. Apparently, he had something that was wrong with him. But the reality was he did not see away he could feed his family.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM

206 posts, read 512,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Westchestergal I am not quite sure what a "data plan '"is but I would suppose it has something to do with a life support system. I'm really sorry that you are afflicted with this life threatening circumstance that would require you to maintain this service. I think your "preemptive" move to remove this system from your lifestyle might be "injurious to your help" and I would recommend that you think about this twice.

Johne, thanks for your concern, I am fine and merely referring to the additional service on my smartphone that allows me to communicate via the internet. I don't need it to survive. Or is your ? a joke that almost went over my head.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jali887 View Post
Look I'm not trying to be racist but don't tell me this economy reconizes the disparities between white and black. The history has been last hired first fired. This week a man killed his entire family (wife and 5 children)because both he and his wife were fired at the same time. Apparently, he had something that was wrong with him. But the reality was he did not see away he could feed his family.
And you're point is?? (ie; "he did not see he could feed his family" and he was black) And you're right in this economy layoffs are color blind. Whites, blacks, browns and even people that are green with fear are being axed.

Over to you.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Johne, thanks for your concern, I am fine and merely referring to the additional service on my smartphone that allows me to communicate via the internet. I don't need it to survive. Or is your ? a joke that almost went over my head.
Someone said once that if a joke needed to be explained it wasn't funny.
Sorry, will try harder the next time. :>
je

Old 01-29-2009, 09:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,192,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jali887 View Post
Not meaning to be disrespectful here, Jali, but honestly - I don't get your point. I really do not. What has race got to do w/ losing jobs? Last hired, first fired is often the rule - but in many of these cases - whole plants are shutting down - or whole departments being eliminated. And contract workers are actually the FIRST cut in most situations. None of this has to do w/ race.

And I do not mean to sound heartless, but as I posted on another thread - I have read the reports on the man who killed his family - and he and his wife had evidently falsified records in conjunction w/ their jobs. The fact that he got fired should not have kept him from getting another job immediately, as he and his wife were supposedly both healthcare techs, and those jobs are in demand all over this country - there are definitely job openings. He was obviously depressed and suicidal and probably experienced a psychotic break and went off the deep end. But his losing is job - in the big scheme of things (had he been rational) - is NOT the issue in this case, b/c there are openings for healthcare techs!!! The media played this up when what it really is about is a mentally unstable man, not a man who lost his job.

I still have no clue why you would try to make a connection b/n race and this economy. The majority of my black friends have jobs as teachers, in healthcare and w/ the government and they all feel pretty good about their security in those positions - I mean - no more secure or insecure than their white coworkers.

ETA: My apologies if I misread your post, Jali. I just re-read it and now I am wondering if you and I are actually saying the same thing, LOL. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:37 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,983,044 times
I'd really like to know what happened to the other side of the argument - the claims that talk about going into a depression as a "crock".

The economic indicators keep rolling in and keep painting a bleaker and bleaker picture. As much as people might like to blame the media for reporting it, I don't see how that changes the numbers from being the numbers.

Quote:
The number of people staying on state jobless benefits rolls after drawing an initial week of aid jumped 159,000 to a higher-than-forecast 4.78 million in the week ended January 17, the most recent week for which data is available. It was the highest reading on records dating to 1967.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,192,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'd really like to know what happened to the other side of the argument - the claims that talk about going into a depression as a "crock".

The economic indicators keep rolling in and keep painting a bleaker and bleaker picture. As much as people might like to blame the media for reporting it, I don't see how that changes the numbers from being the numbers.
It looks pretty bleak from where I sit, but I still have hope that this is a situation that will turn around w/in the next 12-18 months. Just may be tough going until then.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 PM

141 posts, read 322,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It looks pretty bleak from where I sit, but I still have hope that this is a situation that will turn around w/in the next 12-18 months. Just may be tough going until then.
Will hope get rid of the trillions in worthless assets held by the mega banks? We need a depression to purge the system. This country has survived multiple depressions, and will survive this one if the government would just get out of the way and let insolvent banks and companies fail. The good assets from these companies can be picked up by those who survive (and yes there are a number of strong regional banks who will ride this out). Sadly both Bush and Obama are steering the nation into a situation that will be catastrophic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte