U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 24,402 times

Advertisements

Is there any free parking uptown? Whenever I go for dinner or something - not even for a particular event - I have to pay $5 to park in a garage. I know a lot of restaurants will validate, but is there anywhere to park for free - like a lot that doesn't charge on nights and weekends?

It seems like a stumbling block to encouraging people to come uptown if there are extra costs every time you're there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,498,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyjoey View Post
Is there any free parking uptown? Whenever I go for dinner or something - not even for a particular event - I have to pay $5 to park in a garage. I know a lot of restaurants will validate, but is there anywhere to park for free - like a lot that doesn't charge on nights and weekends?

It seems like a stumbling block to encouraging people to come uptown if there are extra costs every time you're there.
There is some free street parking in places on the weekends and nights after certain hours (I parked along N. Tryon near Trade not too long ago on a Saturday night). Believe me, they don't need to "encourage" anyone to go uptown - it's a busy and hopping place.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
I always find 7th Street Station to be the most reasonable. I havent tried 4th Street Garage beside the new court house but being it city govt I cant imagine it to bad. Avoid the garage at the Epicentre it is extremely high.

After I check into parking rates in San Francisco parking here is a breeze

Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,498,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I always find 7th Street Station to be the most reasonable. I havent tried 4th Street Garage beside the new court house but being it city govt I cant imagine it to bad. Avoid the garage at the Epicentre it is extremely high.

After I check into parking rates in San Francisco parking here is a breeze
Yeah, I was going to say that too Sunny - compared to what you pay to park in other big cities, Charlotte's parking is pretty reasonable

Old 01-24-2009, 10:24 PM

236 posts, read 615,060 times
you can also find some street parking in parts of the 4th Ward, 3rd Ward and 2nd Ward but you may have to walk a few blocks (not a bad thing) but you are typically limited to 2 hours without a permit. Not to mention it is unsecured..

Old 01-25-2009, 02:16 PM

35 posts, read 106,392 times
I always park in 7th street station. I drive some unique cars which I would not want parked on a street/in plain view.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:40 PM

620 posts, read 1,920,380 times
5th and 6th street have free parallel parking on weeknights but probably not on weekends. I think $5 parking is very cheap. I know some restaurants in the Epicentre will validate. You can always drive to a light rail station, park, and take the train. It is only like $2 roundtrip.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,477,865 times
Parking is free along the streets in first ward if it's not a Bobcats or Checkers game night.

If it's not a Pathers game night you can often find free parking on the side streets just off Carson street south of uptown. It's a bit of a walk from there across 277 into uptown, but if you're cheap like me, you'll do it anyway!

The lots by Carson street are only around $3 if you can't find free parking (and the Panthers aren't playing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte