Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 18,329 times

Advertisements

To answer an earlier question, I'm originally from the Columbus area of Ohio, but have lived in Georgia (not ATL) the last 2 years doing a grad school type program. I'm not really into the party scene, I'm more interested in classy, sophisticated bars/restaurants/events -- is there any of that in Charlotte? I'm considering Atlanta as well b/c I have some friends from school there, but I've heard mixed things about it, (mainly that it's really fun, but has horrible traffic and crime) but I like the diversity and excitemet of a larger city. I'm interested in Charlotte b/c I think it has an excellent location, nice weather, and seems to be like a toned-down version of Atlanta. Haha I don't know, I'll be visiting the city in a few weeks for a school-related function, so I guess I'll see for myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 04:05 PM

124 posts, read 168,126 times
OK guys-- I am also a young professional and am heavily involved in several YP groups in Charlotte. The truth is that Charlotte is DRIPPING with 20 and 30-somethings who are young, professional, and cultured. I cannot tell you how many wine clubs, arts clubs, networking groups, etc. exist here. Plus there are a lot of bars, clubs, dancing, live music of different genres....this is certainly a place for young professionals. Everyone is moving here because there are JOBS here! Here's a Charlotte Observer article about the arts groups that was in last week's paper:

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/observer/entertainment/16815799.htm (broken link)

I don't know why the forum puts the URL tags around it, but copy and paste from "http" to the end of "htm" and put in your browser to see article....

Old 03-12-2007, 06:54 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
OMG!!!! IN my 20s I was raising my kids and never went to bars or clubs unless my work friends dragged me LOL And now I am in my ,LOL,late early thirties...did you like that? and we are still raising the kids, 1st born getting ready to be a teen and youngest is 11, You guys make me feel 80 and kicking!!! ;( I am too tired when I get home from work to party and I have nver had a beer. Loves mountains, not even a green beer!!!(or three)

Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
OMG!!!! IN my 20s I was raising my kids and never went to bars or clubs unless my work friends dragged me LOL And now I am in my ,LOL,late early thirties...did you like that? and we are still raising the kids, 1st born getting ready to be a teen and youngest is 11, You guys make me feel 80 and kicking!!! ;( I am too tired when I get home from work to party and I have nver had a beer. Loves mountains, not even a green beer!!!(or three)
I am only 31, and I find that the majority of B of A, Wachovia, and other young professionals are not looking to have families until they are well into their 30s. So as the article states, these artsy YP groups are perfect for us (people 24-35): a blend of culture, socializing, and uptown nightlife.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 AM

84 posts, read 123,268 times
go to www.engagecharlotte.com
this is the new site for the Young Professionals Group in Charlotte. Part of the Charlotte Chamber.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:39 AM

10 posts, read 27,982 times
Default Mid 20's and I call it home!

I am a Charlotte Native, lived here most of my 27 years. I also lived in Atlanta for about 3 years.

My thoughts on Charlotte for single people--

Charlotte is a growing city, and alot of the growth comes from young working professionals. There is no shortage of Nightlife here. The clubs here are very similar to any big city club. We have a ton of social events, festivals, social clubs, you name it we have one. Their is a bar on every good street and we love coffee too. The coolest thing I enjoy is our uptown, thats our urban area. You can live, work, and play there. Within a few blocks you can find bank headquarters ( BofA, Wachovia ect), museums, art galleries, bars, and clubs. I know a few people who have moved there and sold their cars. Uptown is trendy. We have lots of great old neighborhoods as well. With those we have some mid century modern homes that have been renovated and we even have an Arts District. We call it NODA, thats short for North Davidson st. Check out the www.CLN.com Charlotte site. Thats our hip news paper, its a great way to find out about the culture here.

I liked Atlanta, you can do anything, anytime there. But really how often do you want to go to a wine and cheese place at 4 am? That was the big difference I noticed moving back.

Here's my little plug---

Moderator cut: removed advertising

Last edited by Miker2069; 03-14-2007 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: removed ads

Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter View Post
go to www.engagecharlotte.com
this is the new site for the Young Professionals Group in Charlotte. Part of the Charlotte Chamber.
Hey recruiter: do you have to be a chamber member to get involved with this group?

And what kind of recruiter are you? Sorry, being nosey on that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte