U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:54 PM

22 posts, read 40,055 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I am new to this and would greatly appreciate any advice...my boyfriend and I are thinking about re locating to Charlotte...We fell in LOVE with the city and the people and of course the food! We are from NJ and are soooo done with everything NY and NJ...I did a lot of research of apt complexes but am super confused some look sooo nice and yet recieved bad reviews...I'm half asian half european but I know no karate lol and I am most concerned with safety I read about a lot of crime car break ins (i have a bmw) and home invasions... any suggestions on where are safe areas would be great we are both in our late 20's..Thank YOu all so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 01:06 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,163,428 times
please give us more information like:

1. Where will you be working and how far of a commute can you handle?
2. Would you rather be in a more urban area with restuarants, shops, and bars within walking distance, or, would you rather be more out in the "country'
3. Whats your price range and what sq. feet of a place are you looking for?

Finally, one way to find out crime is to search the Charlotte police website and they will show you crime maps for your area. The more dots you see, the more "unsafe" it usually is:
Community Crime Information System

Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 PM

thank you mr. tank...his office will be north charlotte...as far as the commute 30 min would be doable and urban or suburbs are both fine as long as it is safe square footage 600 to 1000 we are looking for a one or 2 bedroom and the max rent we would like to spend is 1k...I want to be able to walk around and get my groceries outta the car w/o having to look over my shoulder...thank you

Old 01-25-2009, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,266 times
Do not make a mistake of going near Independence avenue, avoid anything near University like a plague. Try Steel Creek area by Tryon. Bereweck is also a good area. Please do not confuse Good areas with safe areas, safe areas are only in heaven not America.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:11 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia81 View Post
thank you mr. tank...his office will be north charlotte...as far as the commute 30 min would be doable and urban or suburbs are both fine as long as it is safe square footage 600 to 1000 we are looking for a one or 2 bedroom and the max rent we would like to spend is 1k...I want to be able to walk around and get my groceries outta the car w/o having to look over my shoulder...thank you
Can you be more specfic about the job location - not sure you mean north Charlotte or north OF Charlotte

Old 01-25-2009, 02:13 PM

Thank you berewicker...I guess you are right...I grew up in Brooklyn and I know anything can happen to anyone anywhere, I just did not expect to read what I read on apt ratings...I can deal with college rowdiness drugs are everywhere that's a given even in the nicest burbs owever I read about shootings and what not and I don't feel like being anyone's target parctice y'a know

Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM

I will find out loves mountains I am glad you were one of the people that responded you seem to have helped many others...

Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia81 View Post
Thank you berewicker...I guess you are right...I grew up in Brooklyn and I know anything can happen to anyone anywhere, I just did not expect to read what I read on apt ratings...I can deal with college rowdiness drugs are everywhere that's a given even in the nicest burbs owever I read about shootings and what not and I don't feel like being anyone's target parctice y'a know
Larger apartment complexes in Charlotte tend to be be criminal magnets - easy pickin's I guess.

But don't worry, there are plenty of nice ones around, especially in your price range

Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,163,428 times
If safety is your top concern then the safest areas close to the city are south such as Southpark, Myers Park, Dilworth, Queens college area, of course, these are also the most $$ parts of Charlotte but you can probably find a good deal on a small appartment or condo in your price range.

The other option is to head 20-30 minutes away from the city towards someplace like Huntersville exit 23 or 25 off of I-77 which is North of the city.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM

Thank you sooo much Frank...you too loves mountains I greatly appreciate it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte