Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 PM

37 posts, read 198,648 times

Advertisements

had a root canal from a endontist in the area. It should have been simple but has turned into a nightmare!

The root canal was done and right after the drugs wore off it felt like I had severe cutting (and I do mean cutting) pain...I'm talking severe pain. No amount of pain medication would help. After about two weeks of pain, he took the rods out and put cotton in but now my gums (under the tooth feel like someone went in with a razor and hacked them to pieces. I'm talking serious pain.

I don't know what to do. I'm in terrible pain. I don't think he had any ill will, but I'm terrified to go back to him as his solution was if I continued to feel pain he would just pull the tooth! That just seems very drastic, especially since the tooth is strong, it is the gums that feel haggered (cliced up)

Now I don't know anything about a root canal besides what I read, but anyone have any suggestions about what could be going on? Any dentist cruising this site?

Is it possible he went to deep?

[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]
beautifullife
View Public Profile
Send a direct message to beautifullife
Send email to beautifullife
Find all posts by beautifullife
Add beautifullife to Your Contacts

Last edited by beautifullife; 11-06-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 07:53 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
not a dentist, but is it possible for you to seek a second opinion from another endodontist? I think that would be my game plan.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Im sorry for your pain I was going to say you need antibotics but that doesnt seem to be the pain you feel . I know your head is just throbbing right now but I as well get a 2nd opinion to just check it out and then hesitantly go back to the one who did the work with that opinion

Hang tough and love that tylenol

Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 PM

177 posts, read 552,738 times
Go get a second opinion and take 3 Tylenol and 1 ibuprofin every 4 hours. I know that sounds like a lot but that is what was recommended to me after I had my wisdom teeth taken out and after a root canal. IT worked just as good as the prescription pain killers. I didn't have your exact problem but I was very sore after the root canal and it hurt every time I accidentally bit down. I am so sorry for you. I have had these problems before. I was out for six weeks once because I had my wisdom teeth taken out then another problem with another tooth totally unrelated cropped up and I had to have a root canal and it was very painful and expensive. It's very excrutiating I know. If I were you, go get a second opinion ASAP. Good luck! I hope your mouth feels better soon.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times
Yikes! Sounds like too much discomfort for a normal root canal. There should only be minimal pain, taken care of with mild pain killers. Go for a damage report to another endo, asap.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
What rods? Ihave had a number of root canals (really weak enamel) and I don't know what you're talking about. They (several different ones) drill, then fill it. Almost every tooth in my head has had work of some sort, crowns and fillings and root canals.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What rods? Ihave had a number of root canals (really weak enamel) and I don't know what you're talking about. They (several different ones) drill, then fill it. Almost every tooth in my head has had work of some sort, crowns and fillings and root canals.
I was thinking the same exact thing, and my teeth all have had work done on them and I mean - every last tooth in my head. High maintenance teeth!!! And this thing about "rods" . . . ok. Just not getting it.

A root canal is a procedure to destroy the nerve in the tooth. That's it. So evidently this dentist did something else or in addition . . . and one's gums - that doesn't sound right at all to have all this gum pain.

Did you have treatment for some other problem such as - having your roots scraped b/c of peridontal disease of some sort??? such as gingivitis?

Need more info and then will do my best to help you figure out what the options for treatment may be from here out . . .

Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
Go get a second opinion and take 3 Tylenol and 1 ibuprofin every 4 hours. I know that sounds like a lot but that is what was recommended to me after I had my wisdom teeth taken out and after a root canal. IT worked just as good as the prescription pain killers. I didn't have your exact problem but I was very sore after the root canal and it hurt every time I accidentally bit down. I am so sorry for you. I have had these problems before. I was out for six weeks once because I had my wisdom teeth taken out then another problem with another tooth totally unrelated cropped up and I had to have a root canal and it was very painful and expensive. It's very excrutiating I know. If I were you, go get a second opinion ASAP. Good luck! I hope your mouth feels better soon.
I was told to take 4 ibuprofens...which also sounds like a lot, but it is the equivalent of prescription Motrin. I would careful with the Tyelenol as too much of that can damage the liver.

You may need, in fact, to call for a prescription painkiller if they will prescribe it. But above all, I think you do need a second opinion.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I can only think rods indicate some kind of false tooth was being planned - a bridge maybe.

When I had a root planing, my gums were carefully scraped back. I hated the anesthetic that was injected so much that when the other side was done, I chose not to have any anesthesia. I was a little sore but it was OK. I've had worse things done.

My regular dentist does root canals - it's really just a tooth filling done with a special small drill to get into the root. It sounds like what you had done was another procedure that maybe involved a root canal first.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I can only think rods indicate some kind of false tooth was being planned - a bridge maybe.

When I had a root planing, my gums were carefully scraped back. I hated the anesthetic that was injected so much that when the other side was done, I chose not to have any anesthesia. I was a little sore but it was OK. I've had worse things done.

My regular dentist does root canals - it's really just a tooth filling done with a special small drill to get into the root. It sounds like what you had done was another procedure that maybe involved a root canal first.
I hope OP comes back and gives us more info. What you wrote, SnBelle, makes me think that is the scenario - the root canal was just part of a bigger process.

In any case, something just doesn't sound right - to be in that much pain, especially for so long . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte