U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 AM

382 posts, read 1,747,442 times

Advertisements

I'm asking on behalf of my husband who is concidering getting his MBA part-time. He has an engineering degree from NC State and works in sales. His company would chip in for it and the degree would definitely apply for his future. He has a pretty busy schedule and travels so we're trying to get an idea of the time commitment involved and how he could arrange his schedule.

If you live in Charlotte and are getting(or got) your MBA ...

what school are/were you at? why did you choose that program?
full time or part time?
did you work a full time job on top of that? was you schedule w/ work & school miserable or not that bad?
how long did it take you to finish?
would you recommend exploring online schools b/c of his travel & work schedule? or is a charlotte based school like UNCC best?

Thanks! Any extra info is really helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,867,817 times
Sometimes employers will only pay for tuition at certain schools. Does your husband's employer have any such limitations, or will they pay tuition at any school (provided it is accredited, of course)?

That was my first thought... I don't have an MBA so I can't comment on the workload involved.

Best of luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM

677 posts, read 2,015,983 times
I've got my engineering degree from UNCC, but not currently in an MBA program. I would like to enter into one in the Fall semester of 2010. From my research, the only ones in Charlotte that I was looking at was UNCC's program, Johnson & Wales, and Wake Forest. I'm not sure if any other of the universities in the area have them, but the three I mentioned are all worth checking out.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 AM

769 posts, read 1,983,679 times
We were looking at Strayer for my daughter, partly because they also offer classes online. However, we haven't really gotten past the looking stage!!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,170,218 times
It really depends on what he wants to do after he graduates. If he is trying to apply for new jobs after business school then it really does matter what school you go to. The really sought after jobs such as in finance and investment banking will laugh at you if you apply and did not go to one of the top schools in the country. Epecially now because most of these guys are all getting laid off.

If he is thinking about staying with the same company then it should not matter what school he goes to.

I took some of my MBA classes online and they were a LOT more work. I often joked that it was much easier to just show up to class for a few hours per week instead of spending 5+ hours writing papers for online classes.

UNCC Charlotte and Queens both have decent business schools. I would look to them first.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,542,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
We were looking at Strayer for my daughter, partly because they also offer classes online. However, we haven't really gotten past the looking stage!!

Try to find a traditional brick and mortar school that offers online courses before going to a school like Strayer and University of Phoenix (many businesses don't really like these types of schools).

Old 01-27-2009, 09:30 AM

509 posts, read 1,644,545 times
Wake Forest!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
There are executive MBAs all over the region. These often include weekends only (for onsite classes) w/ part of the work online . . .

You can check into executive MBAs from Wake, Duke, Carolina, USC, MUSC . . . and variations on that MBA or MA - from Pfeiffer, Lenoir-Rhyne, all the UNC system (UNC-G, UNC-C, EC, AppState, etc). The executive programs are typically more expensive, as they do clusters and seminars. There are online MAs, evening class MAs and MBAs . . .

There are MBAs and MA programs all over the place and cost varies greatly.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 AM

569 posts, read 1,224,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Try to find a traditional brick and mortar school that offers online courses before going to a school like Strayer and University of Phoenix (many businesses don't really like these types of schools).
Agreed. For an MBA I would stay away from schools such as Strayer as they do not have much respect in the business world. I would look into Queens(McColl School of business) or UNCC. I'm sure you will pay quite a bit more for Queens. I know Gardner Webb has a great business program but not sure if they offer MBA (might be worth looking into as they now have a satelite campus here in CLT).

Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM

677 posts, read 2,015,983 times
FYI - Joe Price is an alum of UNCC's Business program. I say it got him pretty far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or