U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Waxhaw
264 posts, read 764,497 times
Reputation: 81

Advertisements

So who is trying any of the restaurants this week?
Where did you go and what was your experience like?

We went to Oceanaire (http://www.charlotterestaurantweek.com/Restaurants/Oceanaire.html - broken link) last night and it was awesome! They changed the menu a little bc they were out of some of the things originally offered.
I had the house salad, lobster thermidor, and apple cobbler for dessert.
The lobster was so so good...
My husband had kalamari, mahi-mahi (as they were out of the swordfish), and a brownie.
I tried his kalamari and it was among the best I've tried.
I didn't try any of his mahi mahi (I am not a big fish eater), but he said it was very good and we were both very impressed with the quality and the service. We were 9 people, all in the restaurant/service industry, and all together we ordered all of the options. All of us were very happy with everything.
No complaints, and I recommend it to anyone who is thinking of trying Oceanaire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,142,441 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiT View Post
So who is trying any of the restaurants this week?
Where did you go and what was your experience like?

We went to Oceanaire (http://www.charlotterestaurantweek.com/Restaurants/Oceanaire.html - broken link) last night and it was awesome! They changed the menu a little bc they were out of some of the things originally offered.
I had the house salad, lobster thermidor, and apple cobbler for dessert.
The lobster was so so good...
My husband had kalamari, mahi-mahi (as they were out of the swordfish), and a brownie.
I tried his kalamari and it was among the best I've tried.
I didn't try any of his mahi mahi (I am not a big fish eater), but he said it was very good and we were both very impressed with the quality and the service. We were 9 people, all in the restaurant/service industry, and all together we ordered all of the options. All of us were very happy with everything.
No complaints, and I recommend it to anyone who is thinking of trying Oceanaire.
+1 Oceanaire is awesome.

I have friends working the line at Red Rocks, 131 Main, Bricktops and Waldhorn. If you can, please take advantage of Queens Feast, a lot of folks who work hard in the restaurant industry are pretty nervous about their jobs right now (..like who isn't), but this is a great time to go out and sample some great food and great prices!! Most of these places are not national chains, and I know that gets brought up on this board that there isn't a lot of locally owned places around CLT, so here's your chance to try many of the local ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Waxhaw
264 posts, read 764,497 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
If you can, please take advantage of Queens Feast, a lot of folks who work hard in the restaurant industry are pretty nervous about their jobs right now (..like who isn't), but this is a great time to go out and sample some great food and great prices!!
Most of these places are not national chains, and I know that gets brought up on this board that there isn't a lot of locally owned places around CLT, so here's your chance to try many of the local ones.
I agree with you 100%. The deals are great. It's a wonderful time to try the local places and other places you have been curious about without having to spend big bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Waxhaw
264 posts, read 764,497 times
Reputation: 81
So did anyone try anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 PM
 
1,367 posts, read 5,083,725 times
Reputation: 871
Oh, I haven't heard about this, did I miss out??? Is it a way to check out local restaurants at a discount? Darn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 PM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,690 posts, read 7,906,999 times
Reputation: 3678
We went to Chimay last night for a good friend's birthday celebration. The food was fantastic, well worth the price of admission, IMO. The service was also excellent.

Plus the lounge/bar upstairs is easily one of the coolest I've been in uptown (and I've been in a lot of uptown bars ).

Oh, and free valet, so you don't have to worry about finding a place to park!

All in all, I really don't think the experience could have been much better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Charlotte. Or Detroit.
1,455 posts, read 3,640,275 times
Reputation: 3264
I love the idea of this. And if I remember correctly, last year my fiancee and I went to the Melting Pot and had a great experience.

That being said, it's not gonna happen this year (well, unless they do it again later in the year too and I just happen to be flush at the time). While I'm sure $30/person is a great price for these restaurants, it's still $30/person. To me, right now, that is an awful lot of money to spend on a meal. That's not much less than I spend on a week of groceries. Just can't afford it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,447 posts, read 6,637,970 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Oh, I haven't heard about this, did I miss out??? Is it a way to check out local restaurants at a discount? Darn!
Charlotte Restaurant week was last week January 24 -30th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 PM
 
27 posts, read 71,168 times
Reputation: 20
Bricktops which is in the same shopping complex as Talbot's right across form south park mall is extending the restaurant week deal until next weekend... and offering a bonus course. 4 courses for 30 bucks. We had an awesome experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 08:38 PM
 
104 posts, read 158,480 times
Reputation: 79
We went to Del Frisco's. Very good. The filet mignon was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top