Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 13,103 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am relocating to Charlotte and may be working in Mooresville. Does anyone know anything about this commute? It seems like a pretty long drive, but I'm wondering if I will be traveling in traffic or against traffic, since I'll be leaving the Southpark/Tyvola RD area and heading south on 77 to get to Mooresville. I won't mind a 30-40 min drive, as long as I'm not stuck in traffic on the way to and from work. Any information to help prepare me for this commute would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
My boss lives in Moorseville, his usual commute to uptown is 1 hour.

The other morning it took two....

Also Moorseville is north from Tyvola

Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellealston View Post
Hello!

I am relocating to Charlotte and may be working in Mooresville. Does anyone know anything about this commute? It seems like a pretty long drive, but I'm wondering if I will be traveling in traffic or against traffic, since I'll be leaving the Southpark/Tyvola RD area and heading south on 77 to get to Mooresville. I won't mind a 30-40 min drive, as long as I'm not stuck in traffic on the way to and from work. Any information to help prepare me for this commute would be greatly appreciated.
Just a question...if you are going to be working in Mooresville, WHY would you want to live off Tyvola Rd??? But to answer your question, you would be stuck in traffic from Tyvola until you got to the other side of uptown - then you would be going against traffic. My best estimate is a 50 minute commute. There are really nice areas between uptown and Mooresville you might want to look at that would make your commute a whole lot easier.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:36 PM

11 posts, read 66,178 times
Why don't you move to Mooresville?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:13 PM

124 posts, read 168,126 times
Ugh, don't move to Mooresville. However, commuting from exit 5 to exit 33 or 36 would be miserable. Huntersville is 20 minutes from center city so you can have a Charlotte lifestyle yet you are much closer to Mooresville. Something to consider....

Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
I'd move to Mooresville or Huntersville.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:32 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19yearsincharlotte View Post
Ugh, don't move to Mooresville. However, commuting from exit 5 to exit 33 or 36 would be miserable. Huntersville is 20 minutes from center city so you can have a Charlotte lifestyle yet you are much closer to Mooresville. Something to consider....

That's what I like about Huntersville, it's not a bad commute to Uptown Charlotte and it's a few miles to the Lake in the other direction. I don't think you can go wrong, except for the higher taxes and what people say about the schools

Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 PM

98 posts, read 341,672 times
I'm looking at moving to Mooresville but working in the UNC-Charlotte area...any idea what type of commute I'd have? I'll be visiting next week but I won't see true "rush hour" so any thoughts you have are greatly appreciated!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 AM

124 posts, read 168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawk View Post
I'm looking at moving to Mooresville but working in the UNC-Charlotte area...any idea what type of commute I'd have? I'll be visiting next week but I won't see true "rush hour" so any thoughts you have are greatly appreciated!
Yikes. That would be a hellish commute, hate to tell you. You see, Mooresville is up I-77, exits 33 or 36. The closest I-77 exit to get to the UNCC area is exit 18, Harris Blvd. Then you must travel 7 miles to get to the intersection of Tryon and Harris, just as a point of reference. Since the Mooresville to exit 18 commute is bad in and of itself, I am going to estimate a good hour to commute. BLECH.

Consider a move to the Highland Creek/Prosperity Chruch Road area. Even West Huntersville (Tanners Creek, Crosswinds, and other subdivisions) would be much closer. You could shoot down Beatties Ford to Mt. Holly Huntersville to Harris Blvd from there. It is Meck Co, so taxes will be higher. Why were you looking at Mooresville? Just curious....

Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 PM

98 posts, read 341,672 times
Thanks for the heads-up!! An hour commute would definitely be no fun! I will sure look into those other areas. The reason for looking in that area is the job in Charlotte is only temporary with a transition to the Mooresville area at a TBD date. Also, I hear Iredell Co has some of the lowest taxes in the area. I guess I'll try to find somewhere halfway and call it good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte