Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times

Advertisements

Maybe some of you remember a thread another member had posted this month, regarding his/her tax bill - sent in payment but the check had not cleared.

I had stated on that thread that I had sent mine in, too (on 12/26, actually) via online banking, and that even by the 15th of this month, my check had not cleared.

Well it finally cleared on the 17th.

And today I get a bill in charging me interest from the 1st to the 17th!!!!

I call 311 and they referred me to the tax dept but they are already closed.

So now I will write an email and try to call again tomorrow.

This is just ridiculous.

The bill is only for $2.89 but it is continuing to accrue interest, the notice said, and if I pay them after 2/3, more interest will be added. So you count the days. If I send it today, you watch - they won't credit to my account and I will STILL have more interest accruing on THIS INTEREST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 04:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,258,149 times
LOL, I know what you will be doing tomorrow...

RING....RING, 'Press 2 to continue in English'...

Old 01-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
LOL, I know what you will be doing tomorrow...

RING....RING, 'Press 2 to continue in English'...

God, Mullman, already did that today . . . and yes I had to hold and also got the Press xx for English thing (or something like that).

I just wrote an email to them, see below:

Bill # xxxxxxxxxxx

I sent a payment to you on 12/26 thru/ my bank, BB&T. I was concerned b/c as of 1/12, the check had not been cashed. I wrote BB&T and they replied that indeed, it had gone thru/ the system but evidently the city was behind on processing checks, so to just be patient.

Well, I was patient and kept looking online at my account every day, and finally on 1/18 it shows up as cashed.

Now, today, I get a notice saying I owe $2.89 in interest. And, more interest will accrue if I don't get the payment there b/f 2/3.

It appears I can get the payments there but that someone isn't processing the checks once they come in.

And there is a charge for paying online. So to avoid more interest, if I pay online, I will incur a greater fee than what interest would accrue.

I feel like I am caught in a Catch-22, b/c look at the date. 1/27. My last check was sent 1/26 and it took til 1/18 to go thru/ my account.

You need to wipe out that interest as this was due to some problem IN YOUR OFFICE w/ promptly cashing my check.

Please advise.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,438,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
God, Mullman, already did that today . . . and yes I had to hold and also got the Press xx for English thing (or something like that).

I just wrote an email to them, see below:

Bill # xxxxxxxxxxx

I sent a payment to you on 12/26 thru/ my bank, BB&T. I was concerned b/c as of 1/12, the check had not been cashed. I wrote BB&T and they replied that indeed, it had gone thru/ the system but evidently the city was behind on processing checks, so to just be patient.

Well, I was patient and kept looking online at my account every day, and finally on 1/18 it shows up as cashed.

Now, today, I get a notice saying I owe $2.89 in interest. And, more interest will accrue if I don't get the payment there b/f 2/3.

It appears I can get the payments there but that someone isn't processing the checks once they come in.

And there is a charge for paying online. So to avoid more interest, if I pay online, I will incur a greater fee than what interest would accrue.

I feel like I am caught in a Catch-22, b/c look at the date. 1/27. My last check was sent 1/26 and it took til 1/18 to go thru/ my account.

You need to wipe out that interest as this was due to some problem IN YOUR OFFICE w/ promptly cashing my check.

Please advise.
ani - I hope you beat them good on this one. I have access to online banking per se, but only allow a few select vendors (TWC,Citibank) to debit my account. I can't understand why state, county and city entities can't figure out how to do this as well. "On such and such a date, withdraw from my account whatever I owe you". With Citibank and TWC, all I had to do was to fill out a form with bank routing and account numbers and the money is taken out on a agreed-upon date without any hassle. Here, all the local government agencies are more than happy to process a credit card (for a fee) but refuse to get off their collective @sses to actively process bills without incurring a fee to the taxpayer. They are cheap idiots, pure and simple!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:21 PM

The even sadder part is that they will probably blame your bank for not "sending out payment in a timely manner"!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM

They will probably say something that is really gonna PI$$ me off!!!! I will write a gazillion letters just BECAUSE. How ridiculous.

My bank can show when they sent it out - the next day. ARRGGHHHHH.

You know - the reason I did not MAIL it is b/c I was gonna pay it online. Then when I saw the fee to pay it online, I thought - forget this. So I still had plenty of time (26th) for it to arrive locally b/f the 1st. But I thought - you know - bureaucrats - they will say they didn't receive it b/f the 1st. So I decided to do it thru/ my online banking so I could prove when it was sent.

SO AGGRAVATING!!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
They will probably say something that is really gonna PI$$ me off!!!! I will write a gazillion letters just BECAUSE. How ridiculous.

My bank can show when they sent it out - the next day. ARRGGHHHHH.

You know - the reason I did not MAIL it is b/c I was gonna pay it online. Then when I saw the fee to pay it online, I thought - forget this. So I still had plenty of time (26th) for it to arrive locally b/f the 1st. But I thought - you know - bureaucrats - they will say they didn't receive it b/f the 1st. So I decided to do it thru/ my online banking so I could prove when it was sent.

SO AGGRAVATING!!!!!!!!
ani -Get even! Pay your tax bill next year in cash - all pennies!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,319,002 times
What county are you in? I started that other thread and was about to call Meck County but finally online I saw my bill was noted as "paid in full" as of January 13, 2009. It still didn't hit my checking account until the 17th, but no interest was charged - it shows a balance due of -0-. It also shows the bill paid by the previous owner, but I won't worry about that now. Only problem is... for my tax purposes is it taxes paid in 2008 or 2009 ?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
What county are you in? I started that other thread and was about to call Meck County but finally online I saw my bill was noted as "paid in full" as of January 13, 2009. It still didn't hit my checking account until the 17th, but no interest was charged - it shows a balance due of -0-. It also shows the bill paid by the previous owner, but I won't worry about that now. Only problem is... for my tax purposes is it taxes paid in 2008 or 2009 ?
2009. Unless it was postmarked in 2008!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,694,577 times
On a positive note, I had contacted CharMeck via email to ask about a vehicle tax question. They guy who answered was very good and smart and solved all my problems in 1 day. Guess it depends on who you work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte