Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 PM

5 posts, read 6,710 times

Advertisements

Like a good number of the members of this forum have done previously, I have a job offer in Charlotte that I am considering.

I have scanned / read the numerous threads here about moving to Charlotte. What I really want to know is why wouldnt I want to move to Charlotte?

I am from the south and have lived in a larger (albeit not quite as large as Charlotte) city so those issues dont concern me all that much.

I know essentially nothing about the Carolinas. Have only spent about 3 days of my life in the area and am now strongly considering the move.

Potential office is in SW Charlotte, just inside the loop if that matters. Have no idea where I would buy a house right now; it will depend more on where my wife finds work.

Because I know nothing of the area and have had such a limited exposure, I am looking for some help from the members of the forum to create my "CON" list for this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:22 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
Let's start by saying, welcome to Charlotte :-)

The first thing that I was going to say is the heat, but are from the South, you know heat and humidity so this "Con" is out.

If you work on SW and your wife get a job around the same area, so you will need to live around this area. South Charlotte is a very nice area, lots of new homes and great schools. You can find some really nice homes in the greater South Charlotte area (including SW, Matthews) depending on your budget. When I moved here, I rented for a short while to get used to the area before I bought. Rent very reasonable, you can find something nice for less than $1000 except if you have to have a house or something big. I guess this "Con" is out also.

Taxes, here it is, sales taxes in McK county and Charlotte area are high 8.25% sales tax, gas is more expensive in city proper. Property taxes are higher in McK county as well. Some people actually live in SC border (Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Indian Trial) and commute to Charlotte, it's not bad and for you it could be an easy one, you have to try it. SC taxes are lower. So this could the first "Con".

Charlotte is in the middle of everything, you are 2-3 hours away from either mountains or beaches, there are fun stuff to do around the city if you know where to find them. Another "Con" that is out.

You know, I guess I like Charlotte more than I thought, I usually whine about the heat, but oh well, it gets hot every where. Good luck with you search.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthand View Post
Like a good number of the members of this forum have done previously, I have a job offer in Charlotte that I am considering.

I have scanned / read the numerous threads here about moving to Charlotte. What I really want to know is why wouldnt I want to move to Charlotte?

I am from the south and have lived in a larger (albeit not quite as large as Charlotte) city so those issues dont concern me all that much.

I know essentially nothing about the Carolinas. Have only spent about 3 days of my life in the area and am now strongly considering the move.

Potential office is in SW Charlotte, just inside the loop if that matters. Have no idea where I would buy a house right now; it will depend more on where my wife finds work.

Because I know nothing of the area and have had such a limited exposure, I am looking for some help from the members of the forum to create my "CON" list for this move.
Why wouldn't you want to move to Charlotte...hmmm....let's see....

You might not want to move if you want a more small town atmosphere without any traffic

You might not want to move if you like the nightlife of places like New York, LA or Chicago.

You might not want to move if you have a problem living in the Bible belt (a plus for many of us).

You might not want to move if you like OLD cities with a lot of historical architecture.

You might not want to move if you dislike hot hot weather in July and August.

You might not want to move if you want to see a lot of snow.

You might not want to move if you don't want to live in a family friendly city.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Are you looking for someplace distinctly Southern, with a capital S?

Charlotte is a Southern city, but it's also, pretty much, the southernmost MidAtlantic city, at the same time. This has been discussed in several threads here, so it's not just my take.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM

I appreciate the answers; please keep them coming.

I hope that my intent came across; I asked the question "tongue in cheek". I just thought it might be a differnet take on the whole "Hey, Im moving to Charlotte" threads.

I have lived equal parts of my life in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. Mostly in small towns, which are great if they have character and are miserable when they dont. All except my current local were very much typical "southern" towns.

My time spent in Charlotte amasses to an extended weekend. Its tough to make that call with such limited exposure but, I am miserable where I am at so I am taking a leap of faith.

all I am looking for is a place to call home.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:

I have lived equal parts of my life in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. Mostly in small towns, which are great if they have character and are miserable when they dont. All except my current local were very much typical "southern" towns....
Given this statement, I recommend you stay where you are. Charlotte isn't for you. If you can be more specific on what you are looking for, I might be able to give you a better answer.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Given this statement, I recommend you stay where you are. Charlotte isn't for you. If you can be more specific on what you are looking for, I might be able to give you a better answer.
To be honest, im not sure what your statement meant. Why not charlotte given my previous residences?

To answer your question, Im looking for some place with a comfortable cost of living and where the people are friendly. Some place with some nice scenery and a moderate, although warm, climate. Some place that has plenty of options for distractions. Some place to settle down and spread some roots.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
When you say your job is within the loop are you talking about within the loop that surrounds the downtown area or Rt 485?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingowl View Post
when you say your job is within the loop are you talking about within the loop that surrounds the downtown area or rt 485?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM

174 posts, read 403,693 times
Quote:
To be honest, im not sure what your statement meant. Why not charlotte given my previous residences?

To answer your question, Im looking for some place with a comfortable cost of living and where the people are friendly. Some place with some nice scenery and a moderate, although warm, climate. Some place that has plenty of options for distractions. Some place to settle down and spread some roots.
I was confused by that post as well.

Charlotte seems to meet your posted desires. Based on what you posted, I don't really see any cons. It's full of transplants - more happy than not with their move. I would consider myself one of those happy transplants. Matter of fact, extremely happy. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte