U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,503,966 times

Advertisements

While I love Richmond (native of the area), I have to agree with some of the other people in this thread--Charlotte is definitely the bigger city. And I can definitely remember all of the big concerts and stuff going to either DC or HR.

For me, I love that Charlotte (moved here 'cause of job) has pro sports--once Richmond lost the R-Braves, which isnt even a Major League team, I was really down on Richmond. And for major college sports, neither city really has a big school on the level of a UVA or UNC so that is a wash.

I know sports isnt the end all be all for some people, but for me, it is a big deal!

Just my two cents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,395,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
ARE YOU SERIOUS????

When was the last time you walked through Uptown Charlotte during lunch time? You see so many Indians and Asians working in Uptown now its crazy!! They're everywhere. If you simply said Charlotte wasn't that diverse, I might say, ummm, well, that's your opinion. But when you say you work Uptown, and don't see any diversity, wow???!! I have to question your crediblity. If anybody wants to see diversity in Charlotte, Uptown Charlotte during work hours is the place to see it.
No need to be so uptight about it. It is just my opinion. If you read my other post, you will see that where I come from there is way more diversity. It is all relative. Anyways, I still love Charlotte, even if I feel like the only one different.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:19 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
No need to be so uptight about it. It is just my opinion. If you read my other post, you will see that where I come from there is way more diversity. It is all relative. Anyways, I still love Charlotte, even if I feel like the only one different.
Understood, it’s your opinion. And sorry to seem so “uptight”, it’s just that if we were comparing Charlotte to a place like New York or San Francisco, I would be inclined to agree with you, its not as diverse as those places. But compared to Richmond Virginia??? I’ve been to Richmond many times and on neither occasion did I leave with the impression that it was more diverse than Charlotte. And I do feel strongly that downtown Charlotte is quite diverse, especially during work hours.

Last edited by Carolina Blue; 01-29-2009 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Understood, itís your opinion. And sorry to seem so ďuptightĒ, itís just that if we were comparing Charlotte to a place like New York or San Francisco, I would be inclined to agree with you, its not as diverse as those places. But compared to Richmond Virginia??? Iíve been to Richmond many times and on neither occasion did I leave with the impression that it was more diverse than Charlotte. And I do feel strongly that downtown Charlotte is quite diverse, especially during work hours.
Yes, Charlotte is way more diverser than Richmond. I would think that Charlotte is the most diverse city in the Carolinas too. I usually walk a mile during my lunch hour, from South Tryon to Fourth Ward Park, and as you stated, there is a pretty good mix of Indians and other Asians with Mongoloid features. But I still think I am the only one of my kind around .

Old 01-29-2009, 09:25 AM

85 posts, read 174,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Also, for those who are socially progressive, Charlotte is much more conservative than Richmond and much more openly religious. Charlotte's proximity to South Carolina and points south makes it a lot more socially conservative than Richmond or Raleigh-Durham.
i guess thats why 63% of people in mecklenburg county voted for obama. yeah, real conservative.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,127,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan55 View Post
i guess thats why 63% of people in mecklenburg county voted for obama. yeah, real conservative.
The operative words are "much more," which means its a comparison, relative statement. Richmond voted 79.2% for Obama.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:31 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,712,573 times
Luckily for some, there is not intelligence test required to comment on this thread. Some individuals seem to enjoy thinking that they are impressing others while making themselves feel as if they are "big city" by making comments that don't make much sense, ie. Charlotte is a small town, or Charlotte isn't diverse. Don't know why this is done, Charlotte is a diverse city with over 12 percent of its population speaking a language other than English. Charlotte isn't San Francisco as far as diversity, but anyone that has lived in several places knows that that comparing would be a foolish analogy. The fact that Charlotte voted for Obama is proof of diversity. Nobody I know (locals) did, or admits to it anyway.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,294,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Charlotte's proximity to South Carolina and points south makes it a lot more socially conservative than Richmond or Raleigh-Durham.
As a native South Carolinian, I love this line. "Blame South Carolina!" Quite funny. Actually, religion has played a prominent role in Charlotte's history since it was founded--and the last I looked, Charlotte was never a part of South Carolina. As a matter of fact, two of the predominant religious traditions found in Charlotte--Presbyterians, mostly among Whites and AME Zion, among Blacks--have a much less pronounced presence throughout most of South Carolina. Charlotte is fully responsible for its social conservatism; can't blame that one on anyone else. Or at the least, also give South Carolinians credit for the role they've played in making Charlotte the great city it is today (e.g., Hugh McColl, Edward Dilworth Latta, William Henry Belk, etc.).

Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As a native South Carolinian, I love this line. "Blame South Carolina!" Quite funny. Actually, religion has played a prominent role in Charlotte's history since it was founded--and the last I looked, Charlotte was never a part of South Carolina. As a matter of fact, two of the predominant religious traditions found in Charlotte--Presbyterians, mostly among Whites and AME Zion, among Blacks--have a much less pronounced presence throughout most of South Carolina. Charlotte is fully responsible for its social conservatism; can't blame that one on anyone else. Or at the least, also give South Carolinians credit for the role they've played in making Charlotte the great city it is today (e.g., Hugh McColl, Edward Dilworth Latta, William Henry Belk, etc.).
Since Raleigh is always keeping Charlotte's tax money, I say let's succeed from NC and join SC, of course, only if the proud South Carolinians want us.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 PM

1,295 posts, read 4,232,696 times
thanks for your replies!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte