U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,624 times

Advertisements

Well, Virginia overall is a bit "Mayberry-ish". Mayberry is a "southern-thing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,416,102 times
I don't get why people think shiny and new lacks soul....I, along w/ most people probably prefer Clean and New as opposed to trashy and run down...I feel plenty of soul and vibe in Uptown Charlotte on weekends...I didn't feel that when I was in the dead downtown of Richmond on business a year ago...Richmond is a much smaller city, so of course Charlotte is going to have more to do...the problem now is, I wouldn't move here unless you have a job lined up, or at least a year's worth of living expenses (all of them), saved up.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM

2,989 posts, read 3,150,042 times
Having lived in both cities ( moved back to Charlotte this past year from RIC), I can tell you Charlotte wins with ease. You all can use the "lacks soul" comment all you want about Charlotte, but at least I am not having to clean up condoms and magazine casings off the front yard, and parking areas where I lived in the "Fan" area. Never understood that place, it's old.......who cares. Over-priced and everything was always breaking. How wonderful! To see all the truth about Richmond, view my comments on the Richmond threads. Just saying it like it is................so glad to be back in Charlotte!! I do miss Thai Diner II in Carytown though, their food is GREAT!!!!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,689,404 times
My husband and I used to live in Charlottesville, VA and visited Richmond regularly. Charlotte is much cleaner, friendlier and more to do here.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,505,253 times
Default College Sports

Quote:
And for major college sports, neither city really has a big school on the level of a UVA or UNC so that is a wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublephatt View Post
Just a little correction....VCU is both larger than UVA and UNC it is the largest school in the state over 32,000.
You missed my point...I said for major college sports...I wasnt saying that UVA and UNC were actually bigger. VCU nor Charlotte make much of a splash on the National college sports scene...although VCU has done a little in college basketball...

Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 AM

13 posts, read 27,639 times
Lol...That is so funny...you act like this was some front page news ... a side section on the newpaper blog?? What new business does not have a grand opening and promotion. Charlotte is always talking about how much cleaner it is than Richmond that is some comical stuff...You guys got a couple of sports teams ( which I could respect and admire) and let it go to your heads...I would not bragg on loosing a team ....you guys lost a good franchise and replaced it with a DUD...and the comment the Patsfan made about the Fan having condems and trash in his front yard...man come on that was weak...you wish you had an area like the fan...buitiful row houses that hold their value in proximity to plenty of restuarants monuement avenue and just about everything you need in walking distance ....that is what urban living is ability to get to places fast and convenience....not a bunch of sprawl....And the funny thing about it is the whole town has gotten so big headed that the mayor had the nerve to compare Charlotte to Atlanta....Lol..Talk about not being use to having something....You are right Patsfan we are in a whole differnt category other than a couple of pro sports teams there aint nonthing to talk about

Old 06-09-2009, 10:25 AM

13 posts, read 27,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I don't get why people think shiny and new lacks soul....I, along w/ most people probably prefer Clean and New as opposed to trashy and run down...I feel plenty of soul and vibe in Uptown Charlotte on weekends...I didn't feel that when I was in the dead downtown of Richmond on business a year ago...Richmond is a much smaller city, so of course Charlotte is going to have more to do...the problem now is, I wouldn't move here unless you have a job lined up, or at least a year's worth of living expenses (all of them), saved up.
Jobless rate dips in many Va. areas | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/B-JOBS30_20090529-220635/270737/ - broken link) Triangle jobless rate is steady - Business - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1548197.html - broken link) ......You are right people are running to get to charlotte but aint got nowhere to work..Hmmmm

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 33,357 times
I lived in Richmond for about 5 years and moved here about 3 years ago. IMO there is more t do in Charlotte. Just a bigger downtown - an it is a more active downtown at night. Richmond only had Schockoe Slip and Bottom (forgive my spelling). Plus, the profesional sports teams give a lot of options too. Charlotte has similar areas to the Fan - close to downtown and can walk to some cute little restaurants/bars. Also, lots of suburban areas very similar to Short Pump. The two are very similar cities, but I think Charlotte has a bit more to offer.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,299,305 times
As a Charlottean, while I do enjoy what the city, particularly Uptown, offers on a regular basis, there are two things Richmond has that I wish we had: a more intact urban fabric (including its larger stock of historic buildings) and a river. They really do a lot for a city in terms of appeal, charm, and character.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 PM

165 posts, read 506,554 times
Everytime I see this thread I think it says "Is Charlotte more Beat Up then Richmond?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte