Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times

Advertisements

Good Morning America says this will be an exceptionally nasty year for allergies... and from what previous posts have said, it sounds like Charlotte could have a bad year with pollen. We'll be visiting next week--I tend to have mild reactions in Virginia, but haven't yet needed to see a doctor for it.

Is it pollen season there yet? What is likely to be making everyone sneeze next week? Good Morning America is recommending people get allergy shots early, and I'm pondering if I should schedule a doctor visit before my trip. Of course, sometime tv shows alarm people needlessly, so I'd like some opinions from people in the area first.

Also, what's in bloom? Are we likely to see tulips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 06:05 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,808 times
Cherry Trees and Crocus are starting to bloom. By next week you may begin to see Bradford Pear Trees and possibly tulips.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:21 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Good Morning America says this will be an exceptionally nasty year for allergies... and from what previous posts have said, it sounds like Charlotte could have a bad year with pollen. We'll be visiting next week--I tend to have mild reactions in Virginia, but haven't yet needed to see a doctor for it.

Is it pollen season there yet? What is likely to be making everyone sneeze next week? Good Morning America is recommending people get allergy shots early, and I'm pondering if I should schedule a doctor visit before my trip. Of course, sometime tv shows alarm people needlessly, so I'd like some opinions from people in the area first.

Pollen IS getting bad here. We are not seeing the yellow film of everything YET, but levels are high right now. I do not suffer allergies, but when the pollen reaches a certain level even I get a reaction - and right now I am feeling it. So, if you are a person with known allergies already I would say come prepared. Fortunately we may get some rain tomorrow, which does help clear the air. Have a great trip, but don't let your allergies ruin it - get that Claritin or Flonase now

Old 03-14-2007, 08:52 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Default Allergy Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

Well, according to this morning's allergy tracker, the big offenders right now are trees - cedar and hickory/pecan. The yellow stuff doesn't come until the oak trees bloom. You can track daily on this website:

http://www.carolinaasthma.com/Tracking.asp (broken link)

Looking out my window today, there is a flowering cherry in bloom, the pansies and daffodils are blooming. Tulips are popping up, but not blooming yet. If I can just keep that pesky squirrel from digging them up (or the deer from munching them), I'm looking forwarded to some blooms real soon! Oh, and noticed the yellow forsythias are in full bloom in some yards this morning.
I think I even see the azaleas are starting to bud. Now, that's when you want to be in Charlotte, when the azaleas and dogwoods are blooming!

Weather has been really beautiful last few days, highs in the mid-70's. But, they say it will turn cool again later this week. Hopefully nothing buds out too soon and gets zapped by a late frost. Gardeners are getting ready to plant some early vegetables. Spring is coming!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Well, according to this morning's allergy tracker, the big offenders right now are trees - cedar and hickory/pecan. The yellow stuff doesn't come until the oak trees bloom. You can track daily on this website:

Looking out my window today, there is a flowering cherry in bloom, the pansies and daffodils are blooming. Tulips are popping up, but not blooming yet. If I can just keep that pesky squirrel from digging them up (or the deer from munching them), I'm looking forwarded to some blooms real soon! Oh, and noticed the yellow forsythias are in full bloom in some yards this morning.
I think I even see the azaleas are starting to bud. Now, that's when you want to be in Charlotte, when the azaleas and dogwoods are blooming!

Weather has been really beautiful last few days, highs in the mid-70's. But, they say it will turn cool again later this week. Hopefully nothing buds out too soon and gets zapped by a late frost. Gardeners are getting ready to plant some early vegetables. Spring is coming!
Hey there Marvin - don't want to disagree with such an agreeable guy, but...I go by the daily posting on Carolina Asthma and Allergy Clinic's website and according to them pollen is the biggest offender at the momemt. It is today listed in the "high" range. I always can tell when it must be creeping up because it is the one thing that can make me, a non-allergy person, have a reaction like I am at the moment

Old 03-14-2007, 09:08 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Default Tree Pollen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey there Marvin - don't want to disagree with such an agreeable guy, but...I go by the daily posting on Carolina Asthma and Allergy Clinic's website and according to them pollen is the biggest offender at the momemt. It is today listed in the "high" range. I always can tell when it must be creeping up because it is the one thing that can make me, a non-allergy person, have a reaction like I am at the moment

Hey, Loves!

I think we are looking at the same chart. I was referring to the tree pollen. If you click on the Pollen & Mold link, notice the chart on the left side that breaks out exactly what is blooming. Today, those particular tree pollens are the ones blooming. Or maybe I'm not seeing something that you see. I guess those with BIG time allergies can interpret.

Have a great day in this beautiful weather!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Hey, Loves!

I think we are looking at the same chart. I was referring to the tree pollen. If you click on the Pollen & Mold link, notice the chart on the left side that breaks out exactly what is blooming. Today, those particular tree pollens are the ones blooming. Or maybe I'm not seeing something that you see. I guess those with BIG time allergies can interpret.

Have a great day in this beautiful weather!
HaHaHa, I see what you are saying! Looks like we once again find ourselves in agreement after all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte