Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 60,321 times

Advertisements

It's time to get your applications in if you are searching for an alternative to the the usual, CMS middle school. I can't afford private school, so I checked out the charter school option.
Charlotte Secondary School seemed to be a great place! I have a friend who has 2 children there, and they love it! From an educational standpoint, they have small classes, max. of 18 kids per class. The curriculum is definitely challenging, more than So. Charlotte Middle or AG Middle. They teach the Padaeia Method () and the kids seem to be very involved in class activities due to this.
Open enrollment goes on for a few more weeks -- probably till the end of Feb. but not sure so you had better check on that if interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times
So you have experience with South Charlotte Middle and AG?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 PM

I have a nephew who attended AG, and my best friend's daughter went to South Charlotte Middle. Both of these were unhappy for the same reason. They felt that the school was just too big. They also said that discipline seemed to be a problem. Too much teaching time was spent on discipline. I realize that discipline problems are going to be found everywhere, but in a small class setting, it is easier for those who tend to "get off track" to stay focused.
As far as the curriculum, the young girl that I mentioned above was in the honors math and language arts class at So. Charlotte and enjoyed it and did very well. But when she transferred to Charlotte Secondary, she enjoyed the fact that she could move at a pace set for her. The Padaeia program is perfect for that.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 AM

69 posts, read 277,463 times
My daughter is in 7th grade at Charlotte Secondary School and I agree with what you say about the school. What I love most is that she is constantly being encouraged to challenge herself and as a result is much more outgoing, hardworking, and excited about learning than she was in elementary school. Because of the small class sizes (about 18 in a class, max of 20 and about 70-80 students in a grade), the teachers know all the kids personally. That means that they can work on their weak areas and build on their strengths in a way that I don't think could happen in a large school.

If anyone wants to know more, the school's website is Charlotte Secondary School. An open house is coming up on Feb 19th at 6:00 and applications are being taken for 6th, 7th and 8th grades.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 PM

Default Thanks to tathems ... I enrolled at CSS

Thanks so much for your note about Charlotte Secondary School. After hearing my other friends talk about it, then reading your comment, I decided to check it out. We got in! My children will be starting in 2009. I have a boy going into 8th and a girl going into 6th. My daughter needs the small class to help her concentrate; my son will benefit because he is extremely bright. He has just been plain ol' bored in CMS schools. The principal at CSS said he will be taught at a rate appropriate and challenging for him. The have a waiting list for 7th grade, but I think they have a few spots open in 6th and in 8th is anyone is interested. i wouldn't wait too long .... Charter schools fill up fast!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:53 PM

Hi. hope to meet you in the future. I have a few questions to ask about Charlotte Secondary School. First of all, my son is very bright. (I know ALL parents think that about their own children... but he truly is. Does the school offer any extracurricular activities, related to education ... I heard something about Honors Science. Do you know about that? And second, my daughter has recently be the victim of a "girl click." She just feels so left out. (all her friends have recently become interested in horseback riding, and she has no interest, so they now ignore her. Whether or not there is more to it or not, I'm not sure of.) I know that clicks exists at all schools where you have middle school age girls, but I'm hoping that the teachers will teach an "anti-bullying" message, and possibly step in when they see a child being left out. Any info on that subject? If we can just get thru the end of 5th grade, I wish we could start CSS today!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM

69 posts, read 277,463 times
You wrote: Hi. hope to meet you in the future. I have a few questions to ask about Charlotte Secondary School. First of all, my son is very bright. (I know ALL parents think that about their own children... but he truly is. Does the school offer any extracurricular activities, related to education ... And second, my daughter has recently be the victim of a "girl click." She just feels so left out. ... Any info on that subject?

Yes, there are some excellent extracurricular activities, including Odyssey of the Mind, which is perfect for bright kids who love an interesting challenge, and Honors Science. Also, Drama club, Outdoors club, a current events discussion group, newpaper, and more.

One thing I love at our school is that there is not a lot of clique-iness. In fact, we actively work to avoid it by offering Athena's Path and a new program for boys created by our principal called Hero's Pursuit (learn more at Middle School Leadership Program for Girls :: Athena's Path). I led a group last year and was thrilled to hear all the girls agree that at CSS the top social group is the kids who love being unique! They all agreed that one thing they loved about CSS was that they could be themselves and not worry about getting teased for it.

I know how you feel about wanting to get through with 5th grade and on to CSS. I felt that way too. It has been a wonderful experience and I look forward to my boys going there in 3 years (they are in 3rd grade now)

Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM

To Tathems,
Hello! I have been wanting to get back to this site, but my computer crashed, along with all the sites that I had bookmarked, so I had a hard time finding this particular conversation thread. Anyway, I am excited about the upcoming school year. Both my kids came home frustrated this past week (one socially frustrated by the click of girls that has recently formed, and my son was frustrated because he is just plain bored. He has such a creative mind, and there is just so much other stuff going on in the classrooms at Carmel that the teacher doesn't really have time or flexibility for any "out-of -the-box" thinking.) I just keep telling them, "hold on, next year at Charlotte Secondary will be so-o-o-o much better for both of you!"
Do you still feel as strongly as you once did about Charlotte Secondary and the Charter school system? Just what exactly is the Padaeia learning system about, and do they teach that philosophy everyday? I've met so many wonderful parents there but I keep forgetting to ask that question! Thanks for your support and information.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM

Default Charlotte Secondary Charter School

To all people interested in CSS. There is a fun night at CSS for new families and perspective families. They are full for the 2009-2010 school year, but they are still adding names to the waiting list. If you are at all interested in going to this school, check out the ice cream social this Friday night from 6 - 8 o'clock. You won't be disappointed. By the way, their EOG scores had a big rise this year over last year. (This is the second year that the school has been operating.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte