Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:06 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times

Advertisements

Charitable giving is a very personal choice, IMO. Having begun my career in the non-profit sector, I ALWAYS checked out the Web site below to help me gauge the legitimacy of the charity. Of course, this doesn't paint the full picture, but it certainly helps you understand an organization's mission and finances.

GuideStar nonprofit reports and Forms 990 for donors, grantmakers and businesses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,060 times
Does anyone remember working for BOI, Wachovia and YMCA and being almost forced to donate to UW out of each paycheck? It is making me so mad thinking it was to pay for Gloria's perks. It's funny though I always ask if I am making a donation through a "middleman" how much actually goes to the charity and amazingly sometimes it's .5% of what you donate. The rest is administrative.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
This woman deserves the public shame alot more than than that guy who hired a hooker. I hope she winds up homeless and destitute.
Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel LOL!

I agree BTW

It angers me to no end that she pulls out the 'race card' as if her skin pigment matters in the least.
It is not her color, but what she, and the board who approved all this, did.
Throw them all out as far as I am concerned.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Does anyone remember working for BOI, Wachovia and YMCA and being almost forced to donate to UW out of each paycheck? It is making me so mad thinking it was to pay for Gloria's perks. It's funny though I always ask if I am making a donation through a "middleman" how much actually goes to the charity and amazingly sometimes it's .5% of what you donate. The rest is administrative.
Oh, I have worked for organizations that made me feel I would be judged poorly on my evaluations if I didn't contribute! This was very difficult as a young person in my first job - literally living hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck - and on a very strict budget. Yet, I felt I had to contribute or I would be labeled as a poor fit. That particular employer divided us up into "teams" and it really came across that you were not a "team player" if you didn't help your team reach their pre-determined and imposed "goal." Then I worked for hospitals after that and the same type of pressure was put on us to contribute to UW. And every employer pushed to do the "payroll deduction" method so you wouldn't really "notice" the contribution. Well, I sure noticed it - especially when starting out my career and having little discretionary income.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,243 times
This woman is a DISGRACE. How anyone thinks it's OK to shaft a charity for expenses like that is beyond me.

Ms King - YOU WORKED FOR A CHARITY!! For you and anyone else working for a charity, there should be a sense of sacrifice regarding your salary and other perks. With this new information coming to light, I can't see how anyone would side with her about retaining her $2M retirement package. I hope that gets thrown out and the people throwing it out laugh in her face.

I've also heard that the new CEO is making $240,000 annually, which they said was 2/3 of what Ms King was earning. I still think that is WAY TOO MUCH when working for a charity! Hell, I'd do the job for $60K a year!!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,507 times
I didn't get a chance to read the article. Did it mention how many days she actually spent on the road?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
The bf and I went around over this. He said she brought in the most money the UW has ever had. Is that true? He also said she needed those country club fees paid to schmooze the big donors..I can see that..What u guys think?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:44 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The bf and I went around over this. He said she brought in the most money the UW has ever had. Is that true? He also said she needed those country club fees paid to schmooze the big donors..I can see that..What u guys think?
But did she need three country club memberships? I am sure one would suffice.

It is also true that she did bring in the most money BUT that doesn't excuse them extravagent spending. She already recieved a high salary...the car lease, three CC memberships, etc are just example of her taking advantage of the UW.

This is a charity after all, not a for-profit company. I have no problem with high salaries and good benefits, but there should also be some accountability for that spending and that pension plan BS.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Seeing as how my DH and I have spent a large part of our careers working w/ non-profits . . . I think that paying what is the standard or benchmark for salaries and perks is appropriate. If you all will look over the link I posted earlier - it compares Ms. King's salary and perks w/ the other top UW's across the country and even the Philanthropy association said her package was out of line and inappropriate.

The way most non-profits work out such things as country club memberships is that the CEO/Director has board members who donate some of their membership benefits to the CEO. In some cases, as w/ a hospital, there may be a corporate membership available to all administrative staff and used to entertain clients. If the CEO dines out or plays golf on his/her PRIVATE TIME, they are then responsible for all the fees THEMSELVES.

With Ms. King having some of the highest paid execs in the country on her Board, she should have been able to make arrangements w/ them for use of any Country Club facilities she needed in order to "schmooze." And at her salary, she could easily have paid for her OWN club memberships.

When you are working for an organization that depends on donations for funding, the CEO should not flaunt the bling, even if he/she is making Big Bucks. It is insulting to your donor agencies to see the excesses when every penny is desperately needed to fund programs that reach out to the disenfranchised.

Let's face it. If you were the director of a program and asked Ms. King to come to your church and talk to parishioners about giving to a Food Bank, and she drives up in a luxury auto carrying a $2000 designer handbag . . . you tell me if the people sitting there who have to budget to write out that $50 check are gonna feel all warm and fuzzy about how the UW spends those donations???? I, personally, would advise my clients to present themselves in a more humble fashion to the public.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
let's face it. If you were the director of a program and asked ms. King to come to your church and talk to parishioners about giving to a food bank, and she drives up in a luxury auto carrying a $2000 designer handbag . . . You tell me if the people sitting there who have to budget to write out that $50 check are gonna feel all warm and fuzzy about how the uw spends those donations???? I, personally, would advise my clients to present themselves in a more humble fashion to the public.
bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte