U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,553 posts, read 6,665,938 times
Reputation: 4836

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
With Ms. King having some of the highest paid execs in the country on her Board, she should have been able to make arrangements w/ them for use of any Country Club facilities she needed in order to "schmooze." And at her salary, she could easily have paid for her OWN club memberships.
ani - I don't think that any CEO of a non-profit should have to buy a membership into a Country Club. Don't these places have "charity events" that she could have gone to. I remember before I moved from NJ, that membership in the Baltusrol Golf Course in Summit (where they had big PGA tournaments) was $250,000 and the annual fees were well over $25,000 a year. Even for Gloria, that would be a bit of a stretch! Throw in a couple more like that (Mamaroneck and another similar one) and Gloria would need food stamps! I guess Charlotte CC memberships are a lot cheaper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 AM
 
1,907 posts, read 4,445,730 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
Don't count on it. Remember, her suit says they discriminated against her and I am sure she expects them to settle for even more money. I wonder if she will contribute money to the UW in the future?
I wonder if she has in the past!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,553 posts, read 6,665,938 times
Reputation: 4836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
I wonder if she has in the past!!!!
Doorway - I'd bet she didn't and assumed her very "presence" was contribution enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 AM
 
1,907 posts, read 4,445,730 times
Reputation: 730
It was!!!! It was a contribution to United Way's demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
CVP
 
581 posts, read 1,588,039 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, I have worked for organizations that made me feel I would be judged poorly on my evaluations if I didn't contribute! This was very difficult as a young person in my first job - literally living hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck - and on a very strict budget. Yet, I felt I had to contribute or I would be labeled as a poor fit. That particular employer divided us up into "teams" and it really came across that you were not a "team player" if you didn't help your team reach their pre-determined and imposed "goal." Then I worked for hospitals after that and the same type of pressure was put on us to contribute to UW. And every employer pushed to do the "payroll deduction" method so you wouldn't really "notice" the contribution. Well, I sure noticed it - especially when starting out my career and having little discretionary income.
I had the exact same experience in PA working for a hospital. It was seriously frowned upon if you didn't do payroll deduction and the CEO himself kept close tabs on who was contributing and who wasn't. After I became a part of management, I was especially pressured to give my "fair share," which I resented. I'm all for donating, but on my own free will directly to the charities of my choice. After 5 years, I got bold and stopped contributing through work, but mainly because I knew I'd be resigning within the year to move to Charlotte!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - I don't think that any CEO of a non-profit should have to buy a membership into a Country Club. Don't these places have "charity events" that she could have gone to. I remember before I moved from NJ, that membership in the Baltusrol Golf Course in Summit (where they had big PGA tournaments) was $250,000 and the annual fees were well over $25,000 a year. Even for Gloria, that would be a bit of a stretch! Throw in a couple more like that (Mamaroneck and another similar one) and Gloria would need food stamps! I guess Charlotte CC memberships are a lot cheaper!
The clubs she belonged to have much lower initiation fees. The premium clubs here - Myers Park, Carmel, Quail, etc all have initiation fees above $60,000 (at least - that is what I have been told - I do not belong to a CC here) but none in Charlotte have initiation fees over $100,000, to my knowledge. I have not checked on Myers Park in years, so they may be at that level ($100,000) The clubs she belonged to could easily have been accessed w/ social club memberships (not full memberships), for example - and w/ using a board member's membership if she wished to book something at the facility or play golf/tennis, etc. That is how the rest of us do it. I have had memberships of my own - and used them in addition to corporate memberships - it is common and expected but for someone to have a corporation pay their fees for personal use - that is NOT common and would not be approved by most Boards (and would not be asked for by most CEOs of not-for-profits). Reimbursement on your OWN membership for events you book, golf rounds you host, etc. is perfectly acceptable if it is clearly shown to be a business event.

ETA: You can get a social membership at any club in this area that provides them for about $8,000 up. I would say the average initiation fee on that type of membership at a nice club is probably around $12-15,000 or so, depending on club and benefits. Anyone making over $200,000 can afford that.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-29-2009 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,065,753 times
Reputation: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
I had the exact same experience in PA working for a hospital. It was seriously frowned upon if you didn't do payroll deduction and the CEO himself kept close tabs on who was contributing and who wasn't. After I became a part of management, I was especially pressured to give my "fair share," which I resented. I'm all for donating, but on my own free will directly to the charities of my choice. After 5 years, I got bold and stopped contributing through work, but mainly because I knew I'd be resigning within the year to move to Charlotte!
When they came to our company a year ago, I didnt care for their tactics at all. Then they paraded some of the children around after the big meeting. It just seemed so slimy and I felt strong armed. I am just happy to say that I stuck to my guns and did not donate to the UW, I never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Way up high
14,115 posts, read 20,814,156 times
Reputation: 14385
They also tried to get me to donate through work. I denied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
CVP
 
581 posts, read 1,588,039 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
When they came to our company a year ago, I didnt care for their tactics at all. Then they paraded some of the children around after the big meeting. It just seemed so slimy and I felt strong armed. I am just happy to say that I stuck to my guns and did not donate to the UW, I never will.
Apparently local healthcare workers were very supportive of the UW, unless they were also strong-armed. I just stumbled upon this on Carolinas Healthcare System web site:

"During 2007, employees collectively made the following donations out of their personal funds:
United Way of the Central Carolinas $2,293,000"

And this total was a 15% increase from 2006. Curious what the total was for 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 01:48 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
Apparently local healthcare workers were very supportive of the UW, unless they were also strong-armed. I just stumbled upon this on Carolinas Healthcare System web site:

"During 2007, employees collectively made the following donations out of their personal funds:
United Way of the Central Carolinas $2,293,000"

And this total was a 15% increase from 2006. Curious what the total was for 2008.
I am curious, too. I have not worked for CHS so I don't know if they strong-arm their employees to contribute - but I have worked for other hospitals (three) who made it a HUGE deal to contribute. They held contests, gave out awards, and had all the contributors posted by department, making it "competitive" to give. What was so bad (for me) - I was in marketing so it was my responsibility to work directly w/ UW to promote contributions!!! Yep. Had to set up all that stuff - breakfasts, meetings, give-aways, banquets, etc. The hospital poured a lot of its own money into promoting UW. I often thought - why not just forget the campaign and simply write out a check to UW instead of using it on marketing materials and joint sponsorships on UW's behalf. Later I realized it has to do w/ bookkeeping and what can be written off as marketing expense, donations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top