U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:37 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,670,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post

Oh Joy!

Could you just imagine the chaos and carnage that would create...
Yeah, do those things have to have insurance coverage? I can just see the "outcry" when some kid on one gets hit by a pickup truck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCharlotteMommy View Post
Wow! We really are moving to the city!

Golf carts are very popular modes of transportation for lots of families in our area. We live in a coastal area and everyone gets together at each others homes to socialize and eat and no one wants to drive their cars a few houses down so we use the golf carts. I was raised on a small golf course and we have always had one. We even use it to pull the jet ski around to the ramp or to the garage.

This was my first post to this forum and I felt some negative vibes coming off some of these posts. I hope for just honest answers to my questions versus sarcasm.

Thanks.
While we frequently see these during our vacations to the coast (OBX) its not something that you see around here. Even in suburban areas - as the streets here are streets and that means properly licensed motor vehicles.

But then again - when we're in OBX I won't wear shoes for a week either, but I do that here.

I'd say if you're just going a few houses down - walk....but then again I'm so lazy I'll drive to the end of the block.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:08 PM

277 posts, read 580,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
While we frequently see these during our vacations to the coast (OBX) its not something that you see around here. Even in suburban areas - as the streets here are streets and that means properly licensed motor vehicles.
Sorry to counter your comment, but while they may not show up cruising along S. Tryon, they are seen quite a bit out here in Brandon Oaks, especially on weekends. May be unique to this location.

See this link for a local dealer on Rt 74, many of their display models appear to be more than your typical golf course specification.

Morrison's Golf Cars (http://www.morrisonsgolfcars.com/index.htm - broken link)
(http://http//www.morrisonsgolfcars.com/Custom%20Cars.htm - broken link)

Last edited by 89quattro; 01-29-2009 at 06:22 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,916 times
I see them in our community as well. I don't know all the laws, but I see them. I wouldn't use one on a main drag, but in the community.. eh!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:44 PM

249 posts, read 797,517 times
There is a family in my neighborhood that has one and uses it for trips to the pool and such. It seems like a perfect mode of transportation around the community if you ask me. Who wants to pile the kids into the car when they can hop onto the golf cart (adult driving of course). I've been tempted to purchase one myself.

So I definitely wouldn't say they're not accepted here. Legally, I don't know but in practicality they are used to some extent.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 PM

716 posts, read 1,906,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
You should move to Peachtree City, GA if you like golf cart transportation... the whole city is planned around using golf carts as local transportation. Even the local high school parking lot has 99% golf carts.

Peachtree City, GA - Official Website - Paths & Golf Carts
This is the place I was thinking of when I saw the OP's post too!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,918 times
Can a golf cart be used to pull a jet ski in and out of the water (down a ramp) into the lake?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:05 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,270,803 times
What kind of distances are you talking about when you say a few houses down. When I hear that, I'm thinking less than a half-mile. I don't know. I've never seen it. I think it makes sense in a senior community where people have mobility issues. But kids on them?? It just seems kinda funny and lazy to me. Can't the kids walk or ride bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCharlotteMommy View Post
Wow! We really are moving to the city!

Golf carts are very popular modes of transportation for lots of families in our area. We live in a coastal area and everyone gets together at each others homes to socialize and eat and no one wants to drive their cars a few houses down so we use the golf carts. I was raised on a small golf course and we have always had one. We even use it to pull the jet ski around to the ramp or to the garage.

This was my first post to this forum and I felt some negative vibes coming off some of these posts. I hope for just honest answers to my questions versus sarcasm.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:13 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,868,776 times
there's kids in my neighborhood who drive their golf cart around all the time...especially up to the pool.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:44 PM

153 posts, read 405,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpeace View Post
Now, there is a retirement community called Sun City and I believe, not positive, that they are a golf cart community. Of course, no young children allowed to live there.
In S.C., a licensed owner can obtain a permit to operate a golf cart on any secondary road within 2 miles of his / her residence.

Only the licensed owner can operate the golf cart on the public roads. Use of the public roads is limited to daylight hours.

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/fo...%206-13-03.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte