Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,552 times

Advertisements

Just graduated college and I'm moving up to CLT in a few months (working in Hearst). I would greatly appreciate some advice on apartments. I think I've narrowed my choices down to Post Gateway, Post Uptown, or Camden Cotton Mills. There are some later posts on this subject, but I was hoping to get a more updated opinion of the area! This will be my first time out of "dormlife", so I could use all the help I can get! I am looking to get a 1 bedroom under $1200. thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:25 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
All three are nice, I haven't lived in any but know people who have. I know you are going post dorm, but I HIGHLY recommend getting a roommate and cutting your rent. Get a nice $1500 two bedroom if you can for $750 in rent. Thats what most of my friends are doing who are 1-3 years out of college. To a) help pay off debt, b) build a small cash reserve c) buy a car that doesn't want to explode or d) party like a rock star. Good luck! Uptown is the place to be as a recent graduate.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:26 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
Oh and if you are a gator fan, which i GUESS you are. I know several and if I can remember where they go to watch the games, I will post it.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:30 PM

677 posts, read 2,238,043 times
That was my exact position in life 2 years ago...

Working in hearst, moving uptown, etc... except I'm a 49er fan Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you what I know about uptown living. I don't have time to write all the non-specifics today in a lengthy post.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,552 times
thanks for your responses! glad to know there will be several others from the "gator nation" in CLT lol! i've most def been spoiled w/ 4 championships during my years haha

I'm treating myself to at least one year sans a roommate, despite the savings and higher sq footage...If I knew someone making the move at the same time it would be an option, but I'm not willing to risk what creepy craigslist or a roommate service might offer.

My only concern with Camden is the train that goes by...anyone had any major noise complaints with this? During the day no biggie, but at night could be an issue, right?

Also, the prices don't seem to differ much b/n Post Gateway or Post Uptown...any advantages/disadvantages to either location?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 PM

415 posts, read 1,150,665 times
You'll be surprised, I think, at the number of Gators up in this area. I see lots of flags in many neighborhoods.

Not only do we have a lot of grads, but with Chris Leak coming from Charlotte, and Brandon Spikes from nearby Shelby, there is a lot more casual interest as well.

Some folks around here had a hard time, though, watching us take back-to-back hoops titles. The Carolina fans were a bit conflicted, since now they no longer have to hear that Duke was the last team to do so.

Have fun in uptown Charlotte. My son recently moved from there and enjoyed it. He is a student at Johnson and Wales. He's good friends with Billy Latsko and they lived next door to each other when Billy was on the Panthers.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:30 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,470 times
Camden South is very nice. It is barely two blocks South of Uptown. The rent is cheap, when you consider that you can save alot of money if you don't need to drive to work. Their ammenities are excellent too and parking is covered! The only problem that I have with them is that they charge a monthly fee of $30 to have vallet garbage removal. I think that's silly. I rather walk myself to the garbage dumpster and save myself $360 a year. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 PM

85 posts, read 193,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
That was my exact position in life 2 years ago...

Working in hearst, moving uptown, etc... except I'm a 49er fan Feel free to PM me and I'll tell you what I know about uptown living. I don't have time to write all the non-specifics today in a lengthy post.
go niners!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 AM

198 posts, read 642,068 times
We lived in Post Gateway for about 3 months while my husband was interning with a company uptown. The inside of the apartment was nice (modern, spacious, new kitchen and bath) but we weren't as happy with what was going on OUTSIDE the apartment. The halls have a very strong echo, and since there are so many young, right-out-of-college residents there, when they all came home from the bars in the wee hours of the morning, the noise made me think I was back in a dorm! This might be right up your alley and okay with you, but for us we were a bit disappointed. Also, while the insides of the apartments are attractive, the halls and stairwells are not. They are not cleaned very often, and much to our disgust, there was often urine or worse in the stairwells.

But there are a few good things: it is walking distance to the big corporate buildings uptown (nice if that's where you work), with several restaurants and bars right nearby, a convenience store across the street and a Harris Teeter just up the block. Also, there's a secured parking garage in the building.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,385 times
if you feel like living on Lake Norman in Cornelius (exit 28) let me know, we have a place for rent under your budget. Its listed in the classifieds on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte