Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 PM

457 posts, read 1,376,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Stud View Post
There is a car wash right past Carolina Place just across from IHOP that is 3 dollars and does a great job. I dunno the name of it though.
Thanks for the recommendation, it's called Tidal Wave, 201 Towne Center Blvd. I just got back and you're correct, for $3.00 does a nice job, and they have free use of vacuums, which work really well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:09 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
I go to Autobell. I find the one in Pineville does the best job. My only problem is "Rag Management" on the part of the kids that work there. I watch them closely to make sure that the rag used to fry my car is not the same rag that is used to wipe down the windows. I'm a nutcase when it comes to streaks on my windshield

Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 AM

216 posts, read 701,386 times
Becareful with car washes. Even the touchless car washes can leave swirl marks on your car. A lot of the handwash places use improper towels or dirty towels that can do damage to your paint. The best advise it to find a good detailer that also offers maintence washes or learn the proper way to wash your car.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:34 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
I used Clearway Auto Spa (detailing & restoration), located in the Carillon building uptown. Their prices run from $25 to $1,000 depending on what you want done. They do great detail work. For those car afficionados, they offer the everything you could think of.

I get the basic detail for $99, which includes: hand wash, bugs & tar chemically treated, tires & rims, door jams, carpet, seats, & mats, tires & dash dress and a coat of Teflon wax. In between, I get a normal full service wash for $25. The best part for me is that I drop my car off in the morning and pick it up when I leave work.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 AM

216 posts, read 701,386 times
Becareful with the Teflon wax, that is found in very cheap waxes, teflon is not really a reliable protection for auto paints and will wear off very fast. A good paint sealant is recommended for a car that is driven daily and or is parked outside. I like to use a good paint sealant and then top that with a good carnauba wax for added protection and killer looks.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM

189 posts, read 580,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I go to Autobell. I find the one in Pineville does the best job. My only problem is "Rag Management" on the part of the kids that work there. I watch them closely to make sure that the rag used to fry my car is not the same rag that is used to wipe down the windows. I'm a nutcase when it comes to streaks on my windshield
Autobell is solid but in my opinion they have poor rag management to steal your term. I have noticed that they use the same rags to clean the rims and the car sometimes. That drove me nuts when I have my BMW, but I dont really care anymore. Otherwise I think Autobell is good!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
What are some brands of really excellent carnuba wax? Price is no object - I just want to know what the very best products are out there.

After asking this question . . . I ended up taking my care to Autobell . . . almost always. But I, too, have a problem w/ their "rag management" (as Jake so aptly put it!!!) I have had to speak up about it in the past and guess I will continue to. But they always do a good job.

Now . . . if I wanted a detail job . . . sounds like Brooklyn Queen's rec for Clearway would be the way to go . . .

Old 05-21-2009, 03:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I would demand that they use new or clean rags
For touch up on your tires buy Black Magic. If you just spray it on it leaves a killer shine

Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What are some brands of really excellent carnuba wax? Price is no object - I just want to know what the very best products are out there.

After asking this question . . . I ended up taking my care to Autobell . . . almost always. But I, too, have a problem w/ their "rag management" (as Jake so aptly put it!!!) I have had to speak up about it in the past and guess I will continue to. But they always do a good job.

Now . . . if I wanted a detail job . . . sounds like Brooklyn Queen's rec for Clearway would be the way to go . . .
ani - The last time Consumer Reports tested car waxes, Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax got the top rating. I had never heard of it, but found it in the automotive section of Food Lion for $6.99! Before that, I used Zymol. Sometimes I re-do the roof and hood with Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Step 3 Carnuba Wax for that "wet look". If the paint on your cars is in decent shape, those products will do a fine job. I'm one of those people who would only bring my car to a car wash only if the state started to resemble the Sahara. Luckily, Monroe has its own reservoir sytem and has never had the restrictions that you poor Mecklenburgers have had to endure. You have my sympathy in that regard! BTW, I enjoy long showers too, and last month my water bill was $11.17. Are all of you Charlotteans sure that you're getting water and not Coor's beer for what you pay for it? I've heard stories in that regard! ani - on a beautiful day like today you should be out washing that car after dinner. Bringing your car to a carwash borders on heresy in my book! "Filtered, recycled water indeed!" as Spock might say!!! Stuff like that will never touch my baby!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 PM

8 posts, read 27,714 times
Dilworth car wash!! It's small and very personal. The guys do a fantastic job and are so friendly. You get your 10th car wash free. I've been to the autobells and they just don't compare to Dilworth car wash. For the price and the service!

Edited to add they will hand wash for those of who prefer - and they have a detailing area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte