U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 AM

61 posts, read 123,404 times

Advertisements

Asked this yesterday, but mixed it in with another topic, so I'm inquiring again here: as between Union County and Lake Norman area, which area has more retirees? Union County, from what I've read here, seems more young family oriented and, while we are looking for a mixed neighborhood, don't wan't to be the only retirees on the block.

Thanks.
denny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:21 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
I don't know that there is any way to accurately answer that question. Demographics are rapidly changing in this region. Union County does have many subdivisions that have attracted young families.

I am in an older subdivision - in what used to be the burbs on the outer edge of Charlotte. In our subdivision (all homes built in late 80s to present) we have retirees, single professionals and couples w/ children ranging from newborns to college-aged. I think you will find a lot of the older subdivisions have demographics similar to ours.

To be frank, Union County saw a boom in the last six years of so - b/c of newcomers moving to the area. Yes, there are natives who live in those subdivisions, but I think what you will find is that newcomers moved to the area and preferred new houses, so developers responded to that influx. Ten years ago, most of Union County was basically undeveloped in those areas where things are now bustling. So . . . if my perception is correct . . . most of the newcomers were in the age brackets of mid-30s to under 50, moving here w/ families under college age. That would mean that in the bulk of those developments wh/ were established after 2002 or so . . . the residents are heavily weighted towards people under 50.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,709,506 times
Tega Cay in Ft. Mill, S.C. across the border has a mix of retirees and non-retirees. There is a huge developement for people over 55 with great looking accomidations. The S.C. taxes are low and still only 20 minutes from Charlotte. Also, Ballyntyne (not sure of the spelling) might be worth looking to as well. Lancaster, S.C. is the home of Sun City and it is just a few miles from Ballyntyne which is a very nice suburb of Clt. Although Charlotte generally gets younger people as Anifan mentioned, there is bound to be lots of older newcomers with 60K people coming to the area per year.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM

61 posts, read 123,404 times
Thanks to both of you.Will follow up.

denny

Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Tega Cay in Ft. Mill, S.C. across the border has a mix of retirees and non-retirees. There is a huge developement for people over 55 with great looking accomidations. The S.C. taxes are low and still only 20 minutes from Charlotte. Also, Ballyntyne (not sure of the spelling) might be worth looking to as well. Lancaster, S.C. is the home of Sun City and it is just a few miles from Ballyntyne which is a very nice suburb of Clt. Although Charlotte generally gets younger people as Anifan mentioned, there is bound to be lots of older newcomers with 60K people coming to the area per year.
Excellent info, Bandi. You are right - those were good areas to suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or