U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:34 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,886,772 times

Advertisements

As I lived in Miami for 7 years I guess I can comment here

Two very distinct differences in Latinos ones that learn english and ones that don't.

If you are not prepared to learn english please do not come here.

Not asking you to be fluent even good morning, please and thank you would be nice.

I hated in Miami walking into a store and not being helped because I do not speak spanish that well.

Having said that if I went into a cuban restaurant I should at least try to speak spanish.(though I did make they laugh with some of my pronucations)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 AM

478 posts, read 1,881,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post

Two very distinct differences in Latinos ones that learn english and ones that don't.

If they remain illegal, but learn English, are you welcoming them?

Because it is very expensive to gain citizenship (and only getting moreso).

I think when people outside the U.S. see children, even toddlers and babies, incarcerated whilst the government 'deals' with their undocumented parents, people feel there is some significant cruelty going on in the States towards immigrants. Unjustifiable violence and horror.

So it isn't a question so much of saying 'please' and 'thank you', as human survival, very often.

Compassion is missing. And a good dose of U.S. history and foreign policy. Hundreds of years, not just 'when Reagan was President' type of discussion.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,886,772 times
Trust me I know how expensive it is to be legal in USA.

I can apply for citizenship any time I like.

As for the illegals (I was not actually commenting on the illegals), I think the ones that have come over here and learnt English and shown willingness to work etc, should be allowed to have at least a workpermit for several years.

Providing they obey all the laws during this period, they should then allowed to be allowed to apply for citizenship.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,452,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post

Not asking you to be fluent even good morning, please and thank you would be nice.

I hated in Miami walking into a store and not being helped because I do not speak spanish that well.

Having said that if I went into a cuban restaurant I should at least try to speak spanish.(though I did make they laugh with some of my pronucations)
Since we're about the only major country where most English-speaking
people refuse to learn a second or third language, let's be purists. I'm all
for compelling everyone to speak the indigeonous tongue. That means that
we should all learn and speak the languages of those from whom America was
stolen (and who happened to be slaughtered in the process). If we
didn't hate the Italians, Jews and other European immigrants who, in large
numbers, did not learn to speak or write English (it is amongst the
most difficult of languages to learn, as it lacks the consistency and
patterns of languages like Spanish or French), we should be equally tolerant of Latinos, Hatians and others who are today's immigrants.

My dearest friend's grandparents came from Romania and learned English as well; however, there are cousins who also came over and NEVER learned to speak or read English. The same is true of many Italians and Germans. In fact, my high school guidance counselor's parents (the father is now in his 90's), speak and understand only Italian. I had elderly Italian neighbors in Jersey who spoke no English beyond "Hi" or "Good morning".

The point is that in some instances it's their choice, and in others it's a matter of circumstance.

The English only movement is racist ideology thinly veiled as some notion of nationalism. It's become the socially acceptable response to non-European immigrants arriving in large numbers. While the rest of the world functions just fine with various tongues spoken in a given country, the U.S. wants to insist that others abandon their language and indentities in order to be accepted. The languages of the Africans was beaten from them when they arrived (involuntarily) here. The same thing was done to Native American children through the first half of the 20th century -- just ask my grandmother. You (or anyone else here) can accept or reject these facts.

I am so sickened by the messages of hatred toward people because of their language, skin color or country of origin. What I am reading here repeatedly is hatred masked as a national language issue.

Now, is this far enough off-topic for everyone? A perfectly delightful thread about why some people treasure Monroe has been ruined.

SL

Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,518,172 times
I like Monroe...I thought it was a really nice area, especially out in the country, where you could drive and drive and see nothing but the farm land, the trees and the clouds. Then boom....Harris Teeter! driving some more. The beautiful abundance of nature surrounding you whichever way you chose to look. Even in 'town' I liked it. It had that nice small town feeling. Was there a hardware store? I remember seeing some old stores, on the main st throught there. I even got dh a cheerwine slushie...how bout that for liking monroe? No cheerwine slushies out here, not here, not there, not anywhere will you find a cheerwine slushie, but in Monroe you will . But seriously. DH and I truly enjoyed all of Union, all of what we saw at any rate. Monroe was like Heaven for us.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,874,985 times
Default Revitatilizing old Center Theater for Arts

Picturing Progress - Old Center Theater intended as new arts venue
http://charlotte.com/263/story/82587.html (broken link)

Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 PM

225 posts, read 765,720 times
Hi Marvinnative,

This just make me even happier that we bought our home in Monroe. I hope more good things are on the way for the town.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:33 PM

462 posts, read 1,687,599 times
What I like about Monroe is..... My house of course! J/K I was a little on the fence about the area when we first drove around and from what some people said about it. We don't live there yet but I love it. In the last few trips to the area I have learned to really like it. I really like that you still have lots of empty land around but 74 is less than 10 minutes away with everything we would need, but if you want to take a quiet country drive all I have to do is pull out of my sub and go left rather than right. It's awesome! I can't wait until I am in and settled and get to sit out back on a Sunday morning and take in the beauty.
If you look at my post at the bottom you will see what I will get to enjoy on those quiet Sunday mornings.

Pics of your devopment

Old 04-15-2007, 03:26 PM

70 posts, read 194,872 times
I think Monroe has LOW taxes. For property tax, I'm paying around .65 on real estate, which compared to $1.15 where I moved from is a huge difference. The tax where I came from has also risen tremendously since I left as properties are assessed at higher values...therefore a lot of people are spending their "fun" money just paying taxes! Now, the NC sales tax is higher, but I can handle that, just don't raise the property tax.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,874,985 times
Default New Jobs coming to Monroe...

Allvac Monroe expansion - 125 new jobs planned
http://charlotte.com/263/story/94430.html (broken link)

Aeronautics firm, Turbomecca - 180-200 new jobs planned
http://charlotte.com/268/story/94426.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte