U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:14 AM

776 posts, read 2,188,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory P View Post
We are moving back down to S. Charlotte after the school year. Left there 2 years ago from a brand new house.

Never again. There are growing pains in a new development and often more "unknowns."

To me, there's something nice about the older established subdivisions. (And I believe Touchstone is in the Endhaven School district...for now? Highly rated.)

We've driven through Touchstone a couple of times over the last few months.

A very nice looking "normal" neighborhood IMO.

I also feel there's a more diverse range of people (i.e. age) you find in older neighborhoods. I always end up becoming friendly with the old folks who teach me things about life :-)

Good luck. Maybe we'll see you in Touchstone :-)
I've found this quite the opposite. I've lived in 3 neighborhoods in S. Charlotte in 8 years. Two new and one older. The new ones were WAY more diverse. My last neighborhood I would say I being caucasian was the minority. All of our neighbors seemed to be Indian, Asian etc. My yard connected to 6 others yards and not one of them was from this country originally. I loved it. Same goes for where I live now. But the older neighborhood tended to be your same ol locals and a bit older. The newer neighborhoods were even much more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,933,391 times
I always love an older home because the craftsmanship and the quality of the building is usually better....

Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 AM

206 posts, read 330,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I always love an older home because the craftsmanship and the quality of the building is usually better....
Me too but that's usually pre-1960's though not the type of 'older' you see in places like Touchstone.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:29 PM

15 posts, read 29,771 times
I'd recommend renting in either neighborhood right now before committing from afar...

Old 02-01-2009, 04:38 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,933,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
Me too but that's usually pre-1960's though not the type of 'older' you see in places like Touchstone.
don't know the area, so, I am sure that you are correct.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 PM

22 posts, read 30,106 times
I have lived in Stone Creek Ranch and always had my eye on Touchstone. Funny you bring both neighborhoods up! I personally would go for Touchstone. why? character. established neighborhood. TREES to shade that hot sun in the summer. Did I mention character?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 PM

45,154 posts, read 57,115,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSR View Post
I have lived in Stone Creek Ranch and always had my eye on Touchstone. Funny you bring both neighborhoods up! I personally would go for Touchstone. why? character. established neighborhood. TREES to shade that hot sun in the summer. Did I mention character?
Yep - I think that's what I said too somewhere earlier in the thread - established neighborhoods over new ones any day in my book

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 AM

23 posts, read 48,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
And what do you think of it? I would like to hear, the good, the bad and the ugly.
We have plenty of trees, approx 1/3 acre lot, 4 BR w/bonus, 2,500sf. The greenway is behind the house across the street, so I have a 6 mile trail to run/bike on. Our elementary school is McAlpine, which is next to the Yellow Rose bar that was mentioned earlier (separated by tall trees).

Two years ago houses were selling within a week from being placed on the market. Now there are a few that have been for sale since around September. We paid less than $200,000 for our house and have zero plans to move.

When we first moved in we were the youngest family around. That's changed since 1999, for the better. There are still some families that have been here since the first houses were built in 1984. Homeowners' dues are $75 for the YEAR.

The bad - our house was built in 1986. We've replaced all the windows and need to replace the siding and probably the roof. The siding is Masonite; basically compressed wood. Not good if water gets behind it. However, Hardi-plank/fiber cement is a good replacement and should last forever.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 PM

984 posts, read 1,251,513 times
I want to thank each and everyone who posted their opinion here, I really appreciate your feedback. So here is some more food for thought. I totally rolled out Stone Creek from my list even thou they have some great interest rates below 5% if you finance with Centax. I drove thru the community more than once and I can't figure out the streets, everything looks the same. Of course the highway noise is a big problem there. And the house I liked at Touchstone went pending today after being on the market since June last year, seems I bring good luck to homes, so far 4 homes went pending within days after I see them. I went out with my Realtor Sunday, great guy by the way, and we drove all over and looked at and drove by 24 homes, some great neighborhoods and some so so "for me at least". Now I have 5 homes that are great options in amazing neighborhoods, I will go check them out again this weekend and pick one. I will post them next week once I finalize the list.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 AM

1,312 posts, read 3,105,059 times
That's great that you were able to find some options that you are excited about! Please do post back once you've seen this next round. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte