U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:36 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,445,175 times

Advertisements

This is obviously one business that has not been affected by our current economy.

That is one of the downsides to working at home instead of an office - no direct access to half a dozen Girl Scout parents taking orders in the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 AM

718 posts, read 2,147,896 times
We have been selling them here in Texas for over two weeks now. And here, there is no pre-ordering like we did years ago when I was a Girl Scout. They have also switched back to the old names. I think there was too much confusion with the 1st name change. There is also a low fat cookie, that comes in small bags inside the box. They are called Daisy Go Rounds and are small cinnamon flowers! Just not as good as the old favorites!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,263,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Girl Scout cookies: now fewer and smaller | To Live and Buy in LA | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/shopping_blog/2009/01/girl-scout-cook.html - broken link)

nnnnnnnnNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sniff*

Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 AM

386 posts, read 837,997 times
mmmmm....I'm proud to say as a former Girl Scout that I support their cookie sales LOL!!! I bought 6 boxes Can't wait for them to come in - Samoa's for me, thin mints for dh, and tag-a-longs for my ds's. Although I like all of them and will have to steal some from each LOL!!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:09 AM

999 posts, read 4,248,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
As soon as the cookies are in (any time now I think) you'll usually find the girls in front of bigger grocery stores around town. Keep an eye out at the Harris Teeter near you!
Haven't read the whole post yet, but cookie pickup in Union County (maybe Meck is same) is Feb 12, then the next 2 weekends cookie sales will be outside Walmarts, BiLos, Harris Teeters.....I think some Home Depots allow sales.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:48 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,777,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Are they called different things in different states?

Samoas are my favorite, but I thought they had been renamed (maybe the old name wasn't PC) to Caramel deLites. I noticed the difference moving around from FL to up North. What are they called here?
I asked my neighbor that question yesterday. They are the exact same cookie, but the names are different because they use 2 different bakeries to make them & they service different areas. So, depending on which part of the country you live in determines the name of the cookie. I think she said that Keebler is one of the bakeries, don't know who the other is.

BxRosie

Old 01-31-2009, 03:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,863,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
I asked my neighbor that question yesterday. They are the exact same cookie, but the names are different because they use 2 different bakeries to make them & they service different areas. So, depending on which part of the country you live in determines the name of the cookie. I think she said that Keebler is one of the bakeries, don't know who the other is.

BxRosie
No, not Keebler. Girl Scout cookies are baked and distributed by two bakeries. On the West Coast - ABC/Interbake Foods, and on the East Coast -Little Brownie Bakers. That's why occasionally someone from the opposite baker's territory will call the cookies by a different name. See this link for more info:

Girl Scout Cookies® and Learning Life Skills

I am a former Girl Scout leader, but my daughter is still an active Girl Scout. Her troop is raising funds for a trip to D.C. this summer. Thanks to all who support the good work of the Girl Scouts!

Old 01-31-2009, 03:13 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,744,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
nnnnnnnnNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sniff*
Sort of the same effect that the big McDonalds golden arch against a bright red background has- every person 2 yrs and up has some sort of Pavollian response to it

My Samoas should be here in a week or so...I doubt the one box I bought will last through the evening (and I purposely only bought one box...)

Old 01-31-2009, 03:28 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,863,452 times
Oh, Miker...no one can eat just ONE (box) Stock up while they are available, because after February, cookies will be scarce until this time next year.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,744,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Oh, Miker...no one can eat just ONE (box) Stock up while they are available, because after February, cookies will be scarce until this time next year.
Yes it was a struggle to write just one box on the form. I wanted at least two, one to plow through immediately and then the other as a sweet surprise during the week....(hey, oh yeah, there's girl scout cookies).

But it's not as bad as the chicken wrapped in pork, wrapped in bacon appetizer I heard is being served at some super bowl parties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte