Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,228,567 times

Advertisements

My boss brought me into his office today and said he had heard a few people say that I was moving and that he hadn't heard, and if it was true and blah blah blah. I told him it would be in the summer, and he wants to know why I am moving... I told him because of the costs, and then he says well, if the houses are at that price why doesn't everyone just move down there? I said, "well, they kinda are " Anyways, he wants to hire someone soon so I can train them forever and forever up until the day I leave. Today is my half day and both of my kids are sick, so out of one md office and into another.... poor things. Can't catcha break. They have been sick on and off for more than a month...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,060,867 times
I did not discuss my move with anyone at work. I atually worked for a very small company, I was very close to my boss and I knew losing me was really going to hurt them. I was not going to put people on defense before necessary. I had made two trips to NC and we had gone under contract before I told my employer. I was not taking any chances that would hurt us financially. Even though it's business, people have a tendency to take it personal and strike out.

I really am quite surprised considering your relationship with your boss that you would entertain inquiries about the "why" of your move. I think I would have said that people were mistaken and instead imply that I had merely stated how much I liked the area, or that a close relative was in fact relocating.

I sincerely hope this revelation doesn't hurt you.

SL

Old 03-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Well, he said that he likes my work and hopes I would reconsider, but would I mind training, and wanted a more definite month of move to know when to hire this person. My friends at work have known, He is very 'inquisitive' of course he asked if there wasn't anything in this area because he didn't weant to lose me as an employee. Theres no people were mistaken. Everyone knows. People ask me to reconsider. My office mgr asks I give 2 mos notice. My dh says they should be lucky I give them 2 wks. Hopefully nothing will come of it, but I think he wanted to pinpoint an exact time that I would leave.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,060,867 times
Likewise, my company asked me to reconsider and even made me what they thought would be a very difficult-to-refuse offer after we were already settled in.

Two months notice is unrealistic. Even after we had a closing date, things ran off schedule, had someone asked me to pinpoint things I would have refused. There are simply too many unknowns.

SL

Old 03-13-2007, 01:39 PM

225 posts, read 832,409 times
Hi,
I actually had a co-worker announce in a meeting I attended with the Deputy Commissioner of Housing, that since I was leaving in June they needed to consider the effects of my absence for my immediate Director. To say the least, I was pissed. I've never spoken directly to this person about my plans because she is not a close confidante. Secondly, it was none of her business since I don't work in her department.

Needless to say, I told the Deputy Commissioner my plans to move were not definite and left it at that. Later I approached this individual and told her when I know for sure then and only then will an annoucement be made public. My Director has known for at least a month of my plans. I have written up SOP for both of my programs and will write a transition plan when necessary. So much for a busy body.

Last edited by warden; 03-13-2007 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-13-2007, 03:29 PM

476 posts, read 1,570,424 times
I guess I would be leary too if they were talking about bringing someone else in as far as my own job security. Especially when you are too far out to have specific end dates, etc. I wouldn't want a company to decide they were done with me instead of vice versa. We are struggling with not letting too many people know which stinks because we are so excited about everything! Good luck to all in this situation. I hope everything works out ok cinder.....

Old 03-13-2007, 03:29 PM

117 posts, read 491,252 times
I guess Im lucky to have a good relationship with my present boss. I let him know from the start I was making plans to move. Every so often he asks me how is the house selling going, but thats it. He knows I will give him plenty of notice when I plan to leave.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:33 PM

476 posts, read 1,570,424 times
That is good that you have that kind of relationship. My DH's current company is planning on eventually outsourcing alot of the work he does so the writing has been on the wall for some time and we are afraid that any prior knowledge to his impending resignation, they try to cut him out first and we really need that income until the second we leave.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:49 PM

414 posts, read 1,376,406 times
I agree with most people on here. I have a good relationship with my boss but I can't let anyone know that im moving because I want to make sure im leaving on my terms incase I decided to stay a little bit longer. I will give them plenty of notice when I am ready to move but you need to protect yourself.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:46 PM

well, on another note, they are already hiring a new front staff and another nurse, so i think they hired the one who could best fill what I do. For the front office. This was before he knew that I would be moving they had discussed new hirees and had been interviewing, only today did he say anything to me about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte