Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbanana2002 View Post
I had to call out of work today. My driveway is a sheet of ice.
It appears there was freezing rain last night before the snow.
It very slick, compared to two weeks ago when it was just snow.

I counted no fewer than 7 wrecks/abandon vehicles on my eight mile commute at 5:45am.
Other than a Mustang, every other accident/abandon vehicle was an SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
In Albemarle in Stanly county we got about 2 inches which is considerably less then the last storm for us where we got about 4-6 inches. Infact the snow from the last storm just melted a few days ago!! It's pretty and it's been fun and I am ready for a little warmer weather now!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:45 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
FYI - CPCC is closed today but UNC Charlotte will open at 10am.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:50 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Just a very light dusting south of uptown where we are - not even enough to cover the grass or the road

Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Still absolutely nothing in Kings Mountain.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
We definitely got some up here in Concord. Driving through it last night was interesting for me. I felt like I was in a space warp and the stars turned into white lines..It kinda hypnotized me if I wasn't careful. LOL. I took pics last night of it falling and more of it today. The cat went outside and came right back in. I wanted to throw him in it and take a pic but decided to be nice...

Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 AM

144 posts, read 403,815 times
Here's my frozen driveway. The cat immediately came back in.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Is it true that the roads remain with snow/ice until they melt away? No plows or salt or sand added?
Yes, I am still from out of town at the moment :-))

Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Yes. Major roads always treated by the NC Department of Transportation. In the Charlotte area we usually don't get a lot of snow so it only takes a few hours to melt.

Here's a statement from the NCDOT NCDOT PRE-TREATS ROADS IN ANTICIPATION OF WINTER WEATHER; CONTINUES CLEARING EFFORTS IN MOUNTAIN COUNTIES

Quote:
Once precipitation starts to accumulate, NCDOT uses salt to treat roads. The department currently has 150,000 tons of salt in storage statewide. In a typical winter, it uses between 50,000 and 60,000 tons of salt.

NCDOT also has a diverse array of equipment to dispense the salt and remove snow and ice from the roads, including more than 2,500 trucks equipped with plows and spreaders, 632 front-end loaders and backhoes, 650 motor graders and five snow blowers. NCDOT also outfits pick-up trucks with snowplows to clear less traveled roads in some areas.

About 6,000 employees are available to operate this equipment and assist with winter weather response efforts. Crews monitor conditions through the night to respond as necessary.

The department prioritizes which roads are cleared first, focusing on strategic corridors such as interstates and other multi-lane primary routes that are essential to the movement of intrastate and regional traffic. NCDOT then works to clear lower-volume primary roads and secondary roads, and then subdivision streets.

Last edited by NCgirl; 02-04-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 07:32 AM

210 posts, read 507,539 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We definitely got some up here in Concord. Driving through it last night was interesting for me. I felt like I was in a space warp and the stars turned into white lines..It kinda hypnotized me if I wasn't careful. LOL. I took pics last night of it falling and more of it today. The cat went outside and came right back in. I wanted to throw him in it and take a pic but decided to be nice...
I can remember driving in several bad squalls where the snow was blowing sideways right into the windshield. I always wanted to duck down to avoid it, but obviously that is impossible!

We actually had a squall here yesterday at 5:25; dropped an inch, then stopped but no school today due to the ice first. This is my second winter here and now I get it. The ice comes first, there is no sand or salt on the road, so it freezes immediately at 32 degrees. In MA, there is a light layer of sand on the road all the time, because the street sweepers only come along once in the summer. That way, the sleet doesn't freeze on the roadways until it hits about 28 degrees.

I'll take what we have, because I don't have to shovel. My nephew on the Cape (Cod in MA) was still out plowing at 6 AM. I love the Carolinas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte