Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times

Advertisements

Another thread regarding USDA mortgages (which I have no nowledge of) led me to google for information. There is a lot of infomation on-line but most posted by real estate agents or mortgage brokers.

I post this for your info only as it might be worth someone's time to do their own research on the matter of securing this type of mortgage for rural property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Yes, I would be very interested in learning more about this as I admit I am ignorant about this type of funding.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:30 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
I don't think that they would be available in Charlotte city proper. Maybe in the outskirts...like Monroe. They are subsidized by the government and they have very strict income caps. I was rejected (many years ago) when I lived elsewhere for making $50.00/year TOO MUCH MONEY!! They are usually small homes and on the deed is a recapture clause, meaning that if you ever sold the home for market value, then, you owe the gov't the amount of the subsidy that they had given you over the years. Similar to Habitat for Humanity, you have to put in an amount of "sweat equity". Most conventional lenders will not go behind a USDA loan nor will refinance one.

It is very difficult to obtain one. There is usually a waiting list for 4-5 years.

Like I said, I had been initially approved, then, when they got my income information, I was rejected. The ironic part was that I was working o/t as a favour to make extra money to survive and that was what pushed me over the edge. In the end, it was fine. At the time, I was devastated!!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
oh, and, John, they are owner-occupied homes only. No investors.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:38 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
4 years to obtain one?! No I don't think so. Crazy hoops to jump through or odd off the wall stipulations? Not the way it works.

I have a client that just received an approval for one in 2 days just this past Friday. She is purchasing in Fort Mill down 521 in Lancaster county.

It was VERY easy to obtain since she met the income quaifications and the home met the area bounderies. Easy going loan for the lender and a GREAT package for my client with no MI.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
4 years to obtain one?! No I don't think so. Crazy hoops to jump through or odd off the wall stipulations? Not the way it works.

I have a client that just received an approval for one in 2 days just this past Friday. She is purchasing in Fort Mill down 521 in Lancaster county.

It was VERY easy to obtain since she met the income quaifications and the home met the area bounderies. Easy going loan for the lender and a GREAT package for my client with no MI.
I had heard they had loosened up on these loans. I was very surprised to find that a hospital I work with was able to get financing through USDA. I just had no clue this type of loan was available thru/ USDA.

I would really like to find out more and have researched some online. It appears they have provisions for loans under a special "community facilities program."

ETA: what I have ascertained is that the loans must be to communities w/ under 20,000 population. I think that restriction must apply to both residential and business entities.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 22,223 times
USDA has an eligibility web site...... gives you all the info. you need to determind if property is eligible...

Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 AM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
USDA funds are allocated quarterly and quarter 1 2009 is already allocated. If you are approved for the loan it may mean a wait of 60 days or more before the loan is funded by the bank.

The lending institution might move forward with the loan based on a guarantee of future funds from the USDA using their own funds until the next release of USDA funding, or it may delay the allocation of funds until the next release (April 2009) of USDA funds.

If you are in a transaction where the funds are delayed it can be a very disturbing experience for both the seller and buyer.

Seller expecting a sale starts a transaction on another home with a closing date prefaced on the sale of their existing home, makes arrangements for moving their household goods, completes repairs requested by buyers, etc.

Buyer informs landlord that they are leaving, landlord finds new tenant. Buyer makes moving arrangements, banking arrangements, children's school enrollment, etc.

Four days before closing the lender halted the transaction until new funding was available.......OOPS! The sale finally closed 63 days later.

This was actually my first transaction as a realtor when I relocated to the area.

Approach USDA funding with flexibilty of the transaction in mind.

It is also important to note that when new quarterly funds are released, the individuals that were approved prior to the new release are funded before any new approvals.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 PM

11 posts, read 22,223 times
USDA funds are available with certain lenders for immediate closings... You just need to have the right lender... Those lenders will close the loan under a conditional resolution... Contact me off line for more info.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Conditional resolution? Sounds like a bridge loan to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte