Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,146,032 times

Advertisements

So . . . what are you and your spouse/significant other doing for Valentine's Day? It is time to plan it out!

Are you gonna do something sentimental? A gift? An event? An evening out at a nice restaurant?

Seems w/ the economy, there is a sort of malaise in the air. Many of us are anxious about the future . . . and if we are not anxious, perhaps we are simply concerned.

Did you know that the number one reason for divorce is financial problems? Yep, this is reported by both attorneys and the American Psychology Association. Difficult financial situations tend to tear relationships apart.

That means it is especially important, during times of financial concern, to find ways to show your love and commitment to the special person in your life. I suggest that we all think of Valentine's Day as a time to examine our relationships and how we are interacting w/ those we love.

Even if you are low on funds, find some way to show those you love that you appreciate having them in your life.

Let's make Valentine's Day a memorable occasion - even if we are not spending $$$ towards that goal.

Write a heartfelt letter to the person who is weathering life's challenges w/ you.

Create a photo album or scrapbook - either online or hard copy - that expresses some of the great times you have shared w/ your partner.

Take the time to create something even if you are low on funds.

Share your ideas for great ways to say "I care about you" this Valentine's Day and let's all get inspired to make it a special day to say "having you in my life matters to me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,520,700 times
Well there's a saying, there's no romance without finance....But if you can hang in and stay close, that storm can be weather too...

So a couple of "low fund" but priceless ideas could be...

making a CD/Tape of your spouses/SO favorite songs. Possibly a song representing an important event. Maybe the first dance, birth of your kids, where you met, etc.

Compose a poem somehow capture significant events, keep it short and simple, and then frame it (should be able to do that for less than $10)

Instead of buying a card, make a card, again placing your own words.

I believe it's always the thought that counts.

Well that's what I can think of so far...

Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well there's a saying, there's no romance without finance....But if you can hang in and stay close, that storm can be weather too...

So a couple of "low fund" but priceless ideas could be...

making a CD/Tape of your spouses/SO favorite songs. Possibly a song representing an important event. Maybe the first dance, birth of your kids, where you met, etc.

Compose a poem somehow capture significant events, keep it short and simple, and then frame it (should be able to do that for less than $10)

Instead of buying a card, make a card, again placing your own words.

I believe it's always the thought that counts.

Well that's what I can think of so far...
Those are great ideas! I know I would appreciate any of your suggestions.

I put together playlists and upload them to DH's iPod on all special occasions and he really looks forward to my doing that. Takes some time but doesn't cost anything!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,819,127 times
I was at Paper Skyscraper Friday. I got my wife some romance coupons & some X rated scratch cards, along with a nice Valentine's Day card. As to what we might do, well perhaps an early supper at Villa Antonio.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I was at Paper Skyscraper Friday. I got my wife some romance coupons & some X rated scratch cards, along with a nice Valentine's Day card. As to what we might do, well perhaps an early supper at Villa Antonio.
Cute ideas, Barking!! Have to check out the x-rated scratch cards, LOL!! Never heard of those before . . .

Old 02-01-2009, 09:25 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,819,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Cute ideas, Barking!! Have to check out the x-rated scratch cards, LOL!! Never heard of those before . . .
Neither had I. But I went in to just look for a card, honest! PS had so many great gift ideas for VD that I was overwhelmed. The selection of unique cards is great too. And they have a very tempting selection of chocolate as well.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Neither had I. But I went in to just look for a card, honest! PS had so many great gift ideas for VD that I was overwhelmed. The selection of unique cards is great too. And they have a very tempting selection of chocolate as well.
I had no idea! Well . . . gonna have to go check it out. Thanx so much for the info, Barking!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,299,053 times
These are awesome suggestions mention I really appreciate it.
Ill have to go to Paper Skyscraper that store I bought some stocking stuffer s this past Christmas there. I never been in there til then and they have more than just cards like they have "childhood memories" spray

I like the other suggestions to make it more personal

Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
These are awesome suggestions mention I really appreciate it.
Ill have to go to Paper Skyscraper that store I bought some stocking stuffer s this past Christmas there. I never been in there til then and they have more than just cards like they have "childhood memories" spray

I like the other suggestions to make it more personal
I like the personal things, too, Sunny. Not knocking flowers, candy, etc, LOL!! But something personal shows time was taken to prepare ahead and that thought went into it - and that is always meaningful.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:20 PM

311 posts, read 912,432 times
Me and the husband are getting out of Charlotte and going away to Wilmington for the weekend of Valentine's.. very excited! We will probably stay in a bed and breakfast or a hotel on the cape fear river, just enjoy the downtown, restaurants, our favoritest onion rings EVER at Hell's Kitchen, walk the riverwalk, go to the beach.. even if it's chilly, etc etc =]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte