U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:49 PM

125 posts, read 391,231 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have lived in New Mexico for the past four years. I grew up here as well. We are both tired of it and have decided to move. I decided to do some research to try to find a city that we will both enjoy. So I want to ask you all whether you would recommend Charlotte.

The things we dislike about NM are the following:

- boring!
- lack of social atmosphere, not easy to make friends
- small towns and cities with little in the way of activities or nightlife (yes even Albuquerque)
- high crime, street gangs even in small towns (this is nothing new for NM)
- nobody on the streets, wide open spread out town planning
- lots of people don't care about the appearance of their lawns or houses; lots of trash and graffiti

The things we would like to find in a city are the following:

- relative safety and low crime, at least in most parts of town
- lots of culture, activities, and socializing
- we like the "city life" so places to live that aren't "suburban"
- a decent selection of outdoor activities nearby, such as hiking, beach, bike paths, etc.
- a happy middle ground between the desert and Florida in terms of humidity
- ease of getting around either on foot, bike or public transportation

My wife is latina and I am hispanic: so someplace that is "cultured" enough to accept us

Do you think Charlotte fits the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 02:53 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,558,098 times
Yep.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:31 PM

24 posts, read 61,830 times
Im also considering moving to Charlotte so I cant really comment on your question (besides the crime is pretty high in CLT) but a great book that could help is called 'Cities Ranked and Rated'

Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 PM

797 posts, read 2,926,946 times
yes, looks like this would meet all your criteria. There is a large hispanic population here so you would feel very welcome here.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:48 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,297,484 times

As is the same w/ most cities, CLT has areas more prone to crime than others - just stay away from those and pay attention as you would in any city and you will be fine.

Well, not knowing what you consider lots of culture and socializing, I just don't know how to answer that. I guess it depends where you live as to how friendly your neighbors are. And otherwise, who you meet will depend on where you go, what groups you join, where you work, etc. Also, when you say cultural activities - there are plays, and concerts, etc - not sure if that is what you meant.

Charlotte is basically one burb after another, except for the uptown area and surrounding wards. The upscale wards where you would want to live are fairly pricey and either gentrified or going thru/ gentrification - w/ some high crime spots being on the outskirts of those areas . . . so if you are not into burbs, you really need to have some $$ to afford to live uptown. Others may give you different info but that is how I see it.

- a decent selection of outdoor activities nearby, such as hiking, beach, bike paths, etc.

We have parks but I don't think of CLT as being particularly bike friendly. Beaches are 3.5 or more hours away and mountains are about 2 hours or so away, depending what area of the city you live in.

Our humidity will get in the 90s in the summer.

Again, it depends on where you live. If you are uptown, you can do more on foot and with public transportation. This is not a very bike friendly town. Some areas are more pedestrian friendly than others.

Charlotte is in a large county and a spread out city. There are all sorts of communities around Charlotte, but it really depends on where you will be working, what type of transportation you will need, how much you can afford to pay, etc. as to what your options are.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,515,070 times
Quote:
I think you'll find this. Many us feel safe living here. If you search this forum you'll find many threads about crime.

There is a lot to do, depending on your interests. Here are some helpful sites.
Charlotte's Got A Lot
Charlotte Culture Guide
Creative Loafing some events in next 7 days

Parts of Charlotte feel suburban. For the most "city life" look to be in or near uptown. Charlotte Center City

The closest beach is 3 hours away. We do have three lakes (Norman, Mt. Island and Wylie). There are many parks in Mecklenburg county (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Home.htm - broken link). Hiking (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Activities/Outdoors/Hiking.htm - broken link)
Charlotte is home to the US National Whitewater Center which also has trails.
Crowders Mountain State Park is close by in neighboring Gaston county.

http://pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum15227.png (broken link)

Charlotte

There are some walkable/bikeable areas but a large part of the city is not. We have CATS (Charlotte Area Transit System) (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Home.htm - broken link) that has buses and a light rail line.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 PM

129 posts, read 292,948 times
If you want urban life, it ain't charlotte that your looking for. If you love the burbs, Charlottes got it in spades.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 AM

7,041 posts, read 12,818,152 times
Also, please make sure that you have a job before you come!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM

18 posts, read 49,441 times
Yes and you can buy my house

Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,085,885 times
...not without a job.

Charlotte may "fit the bill" up, down and sideways, but if you don't have a job lined up, it won't matter how perfect a fit it is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte