U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,687,290 times

Advertisements

Charlotte's future will be that of a more diversified economy, as it will be a more global-based economy. It will become a center of international finance, trade and commerce. In order to become a world-class city, it will need to attract more international businesses. Uptown's skyline will be built up of a mixture of towers built by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Duke Energy, as well as many different firms that relocate to Charlotte, plus the many high-rise condos and apartments, etc. Charlotte will also become a city where there will be more openness and dialogue on many issues that affect this city today. Also, the political landscape will also change. It will no longer be a politics that is about the big business status quo, but a politics that is inclusive and more diverse. The fact that there is a lot of civic pride in this city, the people who really care about this city will never allow this city to suffer the same fate like like what happened to those rust-belt cities such as Detroit, Cleveland, Ohio, St. Louis, or Buffalo, NY. Charlotte's future will not be shaped by the pessimists, naysayers, or those who hate the fact that it's no longer a small southern town and don't want to change. In essence, Charlotte's future is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,662,166 times
I came across this article in another forum How the Crash Will Reshape America - The Atlantic (March 2009) , it mentions how close Charlotte came to worst case scenerio with Bank falures but how we are positioned to do better than most regions in the US after we get through these tough economic times. Long article but worth reading.

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200903/meltdown-geography[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I came across this article in another forum How the Crash Will Reshape America - The Atlantic (March 2009) , it mentions how close Charlotte came to worst case scenerio with Bank falures but how we are positioned to do better than most regions in the US after we get through these tough economic times. Long article but worth reading.

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200903/meltdown-geography[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Just as an aside, I can't tell you how many articles of read from various online newspapers across the country...and every single one of them from Orlando to Pittsburgh to Phoenix all say that their city is positioned to do better than most regions in the US coming out of this.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,662,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Just as an aside, I can't tell you how many articles of read from various online newspapers across the country...and every single one of them from Orlando to Pittsburgh to Phoenix all say that their city is positioned to do better than most regions in the US coming out of this.
I'm sure you are correct about local articles. Just a fyi this is a national publication-The Atlantic.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,165,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Of course! It's either "doom and gloom" or "rah, rah, rah, we're the best." Only extremes sell.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,297,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
The fact that there is a lot of civic pride in this city, the people who really care about this city will never allow this city to suffer the same fate like like what happened to those rust-belt cities such as Detroit, Cleveland, Ohio, St. Louis, or Buffalo, NY.
If more economic diversity doesn't come to this city, that could be the case. Remember, those cities were the boomtowns of their day. There are cycles to everything.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM

620 posts, read 1,918,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If more economic diversity doesn't come to this city, that could be the case. Remember, those cities were the boomtowns of their day. There are cycles to everything.
For some reason people fail to realize that location is key. Charlotte is not located in the "rust-belt". The Southeast and the Southwest are the fastest growing regions in the country. Being located in the Southeast is a benefit. Charlotte will be hit hard and the Charlotte region will have to be more creative and competitive in terms of attracting new companies. The will-power is there (we have a lot of skilled workers in the area) and I believe after this is all over things will be be back to normal. I actually think that the next growth spurt will be even larger than previous ones. We have just been so spoiled in recent years and when things slow down people think it is "the end" for Charlotte. The issues we are facing are not particular to Charlotte but the whole country and even the world. Charlotte has already been around for several recessions (70's, 80's and early 2000's) and look at it now. Our country made it through the Great Depression (and as much as the negative media wants you to believe this is another Great Depression it is not even close) and we will make it through this as well.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:56 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,297,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
For some reason people fail to realize that location is key. Charlotte is not located in the "rust-belt". The Southeast and the Southwest are the fastest growing regions in the country. Being located in the Southeast is a benefit.
Most cities in the Rustbelt have natural geographic advantages that made them attractive in terms of industrialization during the era they hit their peak, which means that they have a more mature infrastructure. Charlotte's advantage is cheap land, a result of being located in the Sunbelt which doesn't have the history of industrialization that the Northeast and Midwest have. But even then, geographic location alone isn't going to secure Charlotte's future. Birmingham, Memphis, and New Orleans are Sunbelt cities with some Rustbelt-like qualities in terms of their local economies. Cities like Chicago, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and Columbus are the opposite. Cheap land doesn't stay cheap forever. Innovation is key.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I do agree with you, however, I do believe that Charlotte will learn from this economic downturn and will see the need to diversify its economy more and not lean solely on one industry as the dominant employer in this town. Also, another plus for Charlotte is the fact that the Biotech campus just opened in Kannapolis. Though it's not in Charlotte per se, it will benefit the Charlotte region down the road. I just do not believe that Charlotte's best days are over, it's just going thru some tough times as is the rest of the country and world, as this crisis is a global one. Like I said in my previous post, and nyxmike also expressed as well, Charlotte will see more new industries come in and set up shop and there will be something else that will generate a new wave of growth in Charlotte. Charlotte has been resilient before as it has gone thru many recessions, I don't see why it cannot show that same resiliency again. I beileve in the end Charlotte will be better for it, as well as the rest of NC.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:35 PM

Let me also say that just as last year's presidential election was very important in deciding what direction you wanted to see for this nation, I believe this year's mayoral election is just as big, maybe the biggest mayor's race Charlotte has seen in quite some time. I believe if you want to see change in Charlotte that you need to go out and let your voices be heard on election day. I'm off to start celebrating my B-Day now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or