U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Restaurants give free finger samplings, germs passed, restaurant sanitation, sanitation scores, health department scores and ratings, hot plate glove, high end expensive eateries

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:22 PM

716 posts, read 1,913,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I am probably under concerned with germs. I figure that we breath in so many and eat so many bugs without knowing it that a finger sampling or two isn't going to kill me. Even if they carry it on a tray they have to pick it up with their bare hands.

I always check scores at Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department though.
+2

If I thought about it too much, I would never eat out again! I like to think I'm just making myself stronger!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,313,538 times
If this is a place you go often and want to continue to go, I would write a letter to the owner and explain what it is that bothers you. I did this with a butcher in my old neighborhood. They would slice my cold cuts with their bare hands and I asked (it was the law) if they could please use gloves when dealing with the food (they had a suggestion box). Next time I went in they were using gloves . They have the best cold cuts and meats ever!!!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 AM

140 posts, read 286,986 times
You guys are all paranoid. Yes I do want the kitchen staff to watch sanitation guidelines but aren't we being more hypocrite if instead of worrying about petty nuances we don't worry about our farming and agricultural systems, which are a complete joke? I mean why other countries do not get the nasty a** diseases we get here. We do not eat fresh ingredients, why don't we worry about reading the labels of the stuff we buy at the grocery store (and you'll find all the nasty crap it's in our food, I invite you to: read your deli turkey, or ground meats and you 'll even find carbon monoxide), rather than a freaking fingerprint close to our plate's rim.

That's where we need to focus; and it's about to get worse since the world's supply of food is diminishing very fast. We have yet to really see this next on the list crisis.

Now don't get me wrong I do want restaurant personnel to watch good hygiene habits but let's not be ridiculous either. For those of you who think your home is a temple, you need to wake up. And those of you who think the quality of food you eat at home is just as the one you can enjoy in a fine restaurant, well unless you are a chef you probably can not distinguish good flavors anyway and the artistry involved in developing them, so yes you should be saving your money.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:09 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,088,978 times
I spray my food with bleach.
Kills the germs.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,061,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
You guys are all paranoid. Yes I do want the kitchen staff to watch sanitation guidelines but aren't we being more hypocrite if instead of worrying about petty nuances we don't worry about our farming and agricultural systems, which are a complete joke? I mean why other countries do not get the nasty a** diseases we get here. We do not eat fresh ingredients, why don't we worry about reading the labels of the stuff we buy at the grocery store (and you'll find all the nasty crap it's in our food, I invite you to: read your deli turkey, or ground meats and you 'll even find carbon monoxide), rather than a freaking fingerprint close to our plate's rim.

That's where we need to focus; and it's about to get worse since the world's supply of food is diminishing very fast. We have yet to really see this next on the list crisis.
You make excellent points.
99.9% of us eat facsimiles of food and not food itself.
What IS all this stuff in our food and why is it there?

A friend of mine was a heli-medic in Vietnam.
When they would fly into an area a few days after a skirmish, it was very easy to tell the dead US soldiers from the dead 'enemy'.
The 'enemy' troops would start to decay almost immediately, whereas the US soldiers, other than wounds, looked asleep even up to a week after death.
Hmm, preservatives maybe?

Someone sent me this movie a few weeks ago, and it was a real eye-opener.
To make matters worse, our unrepresentatives in Washington want to use food to make fuel (ethanol) when we are already quickly running out of food to feed the planet.

FOODMATTERS® The Movie

Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM

140 posts, read 286,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
You make excellent points.

When they would fly into an area a few days after a skirmish, it was very easy to tell the dead US soldiers from the dead 'enemy'.
The 'enemy' troops would start to decay almost immediately, whereas the US soldiers, other than wounds, looked asleep even up to a week after death.

To make matters worse, our unrepresentatives in Washington want to use food to make fuel (ethanol) when we are already quickly running out of food to feed the planet.

FOODMATTERS® The Movie
I know dude, people should pay more attention to the actual "food" being sold to us in our grocery stores and stop being paranoid about a server having his finger close to the rim while delivering a plate to the table. I mean do you guys ***** when someone else shakes your hand, or when they pass you a fax that just came in, or the stapler, or a CD, or the TV remote, do you know where all those hands have been? NO!! So stop being paranoid. If anything when you do go to a good restaurant, chances are they might be buying from a local farm, and the ingredients they are using are 100 times better than any crap you can buy at the store, so don't throw these restaurants and its workers under the bus just because of your paranoia. There are sanitation rules these places must follow and the scores do reflect the place's cleanliness but let's not get ridiculous.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:32 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,486,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I spray my food with bleach.
Kills the germs.
Yeah...but some bleaches have a funny aftertaste. I just soak all of my food in alcohol.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,734,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post

Now don't get me wrong I do want restaurant personnel to watch good hygiene habits but let's not be ridiculous either. For those of you who think your home is a temple, you need to wake up. And those of you who think the quality of food you eat at home is just as the one you can enjoy in a fine restaurant, well unless you are a chef you probably can not distinguish good flavors anyway and the artistry involved in developing them, so yes you should be saving your money.

First, have you heard of the mad cow disease that has been found in many countries outside of the U.S. Have you seen cattle or humans after contracating the disease? I have. This dispells your theory about the "nasty a** diseases" we get in the U.S. that they don't get overseas. I would like to know what food diseases are U.S. specific. Can you update me? Hopefully as a chef you understand the temperatures at which food must be cooked to kill the bacteria within. That is your job. To ensure that I don't catch something from a waiter or waitress outside of the kitchen is mostly mine. I am sure you are aware that restaurant workers caugh and do different sorts of things with their fingers without washing constantly. You may not worry, but I do.

Secondly, I read the nutrician and ingrediants' labels on everything I eat. I am aware of everything that I consume all the time. When I am in a restaurant, I depend on the chefs and restaurant owners to be responsible and ensure that the quality of meat or fish served is of a high standard. Nevertheless, that is one of the reasons that I am a vegetarian six days out of the week.

As far as your expertise in distinguishing flavours, I would bet that my extensive worldwide experiences as an epicurean qualify my talents in that field as equal or beyond yours.

I will continue to be concerned with irresponsible behaviors of wait staff and I hope that you use extremely good hygene in the kitchen.

Last edited by vindaloo; 02-03-2009 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,734,352 times
[quote=mullman;7298220]You make excellent points.

FOODMATTERS® The Movie[/quote

I gave up beef 40 years ago. Before going to Vietnam, I was informed in my pre-assignment training that the Vietcong could smell Americans because of the beef that they eat. I gave up beef at that time. And, I try my best not to eat anything that contains harmones. It is interesting what you were told about the decomposing bodies of U. S. soldiers. I recall never leaving a soldier behind so I haven't experienced what your friend has experienced as far as decomposing U.S. troops. There also was a strict time limit in shipping a casualty back to the U.S. I guess medics see things that others don't. Kind of interesting.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,104,272 times
Honestly, stuff like that really does not bother me. We're lucky enough to live in a place/time that has such high standards of sanitation and cleanliness, no reason to sweat the small stuff. I mean, someone has to touch the plate at some point, right?? Now, if the waitress clearly has the flu that may be different. I think most Americans spend way too much time worrying about inconsequential threats.

If anything I would be more concerned with what's going on back in the kitchen. But really, in my opinion it has more to do with individuals being responsible for staying healthy and keeping their immune systems up so they don't have to worry about every germ that comes their way. Plus, with what most people are eating at most restaurants, they should be more concerned with nutritional quality than a few rogue germs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or