Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 AM

272 posts, read 786,107 times

Advertisements

I don't want poor people living near me...... just kidding but seriously if you are buying in the first phase of anything then you are obviously taking a risk. If you guys don't like the ryan homes, what builders do you recommend that build good homes cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 AM

314 posts, read 675,985 times
I don't think anyone is knocking Ryan homes per say, just be careful that they aren't going to pull out of the community before completing it. On the website it says they have 18 lots left....so maybe they will finish those out but I'd ask them if they indeed own the lots....
I live in a Ryan home and have had no problems....except for the fact that if I had waited I could have built the same floorplan for waaay less! But I'm not bitter...

Another builder you may consider is Ryland....I love their floorplans and they have nice details like arched doorways, cute windows....and I think they may actually let you make minor changes to the plans. Ryan does not.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM

277 posts, read 661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
... On the website it says they have 18 lots left....so maybe they will finish those out but I'd ask them if they indeed own the lots....

Another builder you may consider is Ryland....I love their floorplans and they have nice details like arched doorways, cute windows....and I think they may actually let you make minor changes to the plans. Ryan does not.

Good luck!
Ryan (NVR) typically doesn't purchase the lot until the sales contract is executed with the home buyer.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:18 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
Ryan (NVR) typically doesn't purchase the lot until the sales contract is executed with the home buyer.
We also live in a Ryan community and you correct. Our neighbors found this out the hard way. They signed a purchase contract only to find out after the fact that there was a lien on the property which delayed the building of their home. Ryan failed to mention that to them. They had already sold their previous home and Ryan ended up (after someone unpleastness) paying the families rent for several months due to the delay.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDREAMING View Post
...if you are buying in the first phase of anything then you are obviously taking a risk.
This is true. Especially in this market.

Here in Ayrsley (which is still in mid-development) we have seen a few examples of this:

One of the builders, D.H. Horton, pulled out of their development here before completing all of their planned townhouses. Another builder took over, but dropped the price significantly on the remaining stock of built units; I believe they are also building out the remaining sites with the same floorplan, albeit starting at a lower price-point. In either case, those who bought in the first phase spent more than those who moved in later.

In addition, we bought a Ryan home here (no complaints about Ryan on our end) about a year ago. They have continued to build but, by last fall, they had dropped their starting price-point as well, although it seems the trade-off (according to another poster on here) is that some of the features that were standard at the time that we bought are now only available as upgrades. And Ryan has recently started offering a second type of floorplan (initially all the homes were one model) which starts at a significantly lower price than what we paid for our house (but, again, there are tradeoffs when compared to the floorplan we have). The bottom line is that some of our new neighbors will have paid less than us for their house across the street.

One more note about buying in the first phase: if you have to move before all phases are completed, then you may also get stuck in a situation of having an exisiting home on a market, and not being able to compete with new construction (which some people may be willing to pay a bit more for, as opposed to buying a house that has already been lived in). There are a few houses here that have been on the market for quite a while. And my guess is that because, for maybe $10k more, people can get a brand new home with the features they really want.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:42 PM

83 posts, read 268,443 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is knocking Ryan homes per say, just be careful that they aren't going to pull out of the community before completing it. On the website it says they have 18 lots left....so maybe they will finish those out but I'd ask them if they indeed own the lots....
I live in a Ryan home and have had no problems....except for the fact that if I had waited I could have built the same floorplan for waaay less! But I'm not bitter...

Good luck!
Well i am building my home in the winding creek division, and can say it was a bit more then 200K im in the 300K plus range for my home, but i will agree about pulling out, I was in the process of working with ryanhomes in the Glendalough Division in Monroe, and they pulled out, but i am in no way or shape upset with them, they worked some really good things with me for my new home, plus Im a realist the economy is shaking and my Realtor and i were doing some research the reason they pulled out of some of the communities is to keep from going under, and i really dont blame them there are now 16 lots left i believe, I can say im overall happy with there level of service. There are horror stories about every company but you have to do what you think is right for you in the end.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:45 PM

83 posts, read 268,443 times
Quote:

Good luck!

Ma2nc did they give you a hard time about changes to there plan that werent standard, I had them remove some doors in certain areas and add doors to others and change the layout in one room, however that was in the Gelndalough community but I didnt change much in the new area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte