U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:17 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,163,809 times

Advertisements

Can anyone confirm the free parking? I couldnt find any information about this from the theater so we ended up paying $6 to park at the garage. That seems to be the going rate for uptown parking at night.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,516,698 times
you inform the parking attendant upon arrival that you are seeing a movie.
Inform the movie cashier that your park in the garage and show her your parking stub then she will give you a another stub to show the attendant as you exit the garage.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,163,809 times
Thanks. Which garage is it? Is it the one on Trade St. accross from the Epicenter?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,801,110 times
I tried going last week to the 7:40 show. However, they wouldn't let my date in with sneakers. For heavens sake its the movies only. I can't even believe that they pay to have a bouncer at the door. With most businesses fighting a recession--this place wouldn't last too long if it keeps the dress code policy. With the price of a $12 admission; they should be happy to have patrons.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,772 times
The dress code as of 8/23/09 is "business casual." I know this because I was refused service at this theater. Let me state that I fully support the exclusion of people who look ghetto from this place of business. Better for the rest of us. But I really wish I'd read this page before going. Nowhere on the ticket-ordering website is there any indication of a dress code, nor in any of the multiple reviews I researched online before showing up. A group of four of us bought VIP tickets online, excited about visiting a theater where alcohol is served, seats are comfortable, and no minors are allowed. We are all clean-looking and in our late 20s. We arrived on time for our movie and were greeted by a real douchebag at the door. Said douchebag had let in the couple ahead of us, both in jeans and t-shirts, because as we overheard him say to the male half of the couple, "I like your shirt." However, when we got to the front he gravely informed us that because two of us were wearing (clean, hemmed) knee-length denim shorts and sandals, we would not be allowed in to see our movie, nor would we be refunded for our tickets. While the doorman conferred with his manager to see if he could get us free movie passes, one of the very well-dressed bouncers leaned over and hocked a loogie into a potted plant. Great high-class atmosphere you've got going there, guys! To the manager's credit, he told the doorman to basically stop being a dick and let us see our movie. But when we got inside we had been detained so long we had missed our showtime. The computer system had no record of my purchase. (I can see the transaction plain as day on my Wachovia page though, and you can bet there will be a stop payment on it first thing Monday morning.) Not to mention we had lost our taste for this place by that point.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 AM

841 posts, read 1,238,338 times
Rhifer, that must be a new policy or one that is hit and miss because I was there earlier this year and I definitely saw no sign of a dress code - in fact one young man walked around with a backpack on and I am not even sure he met the age requirement.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,772 times
lowercountry, I have a feeling it's not their normal policy, just the effect of lazy hiring. The doorman and bouncers obviously believed that being self-important and condescending is important to the image that Epicentre Theaters wishes to convey. Like I said, once the manager was summoned out, things were a little better.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:27 PM

841 posts, read 1,238,338 times
I have noticed a change in the vibe at the Epicentre in general. Crawling with self-important over-dressed security types, as if they are working a robe line in Bel Air.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:39 PM

174 posts, read 354,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
I tried going last week to the 7:40 show. However, they wouldn't let my date in with sneakers. For heavens sake its the movies only.
The problem here is the fact that it is not only a movie theater like you say. The movie theater is only one third of the complex. An upscale restaurant and bar make up the rest. You can't really enter one, without feeling the presence of the others. Most of the nicer places Uptown would turn away items such as shorts on men, sneakers and flip-flops, just as they do. I fully support the anti-casual dresscode.

That having been said, I do think that it should be posted somewhere on their webpage (atleast I couldn't find it when I looked). I had a hard time envisioning what exactly I was walking into until I went for the first time. Once I was there, yes it made sense that a business dress code would be expected, but until you actually see it - you do think it's just a movie.

I've been several times and have always enjoyed my experience. Personally, obnoxious teenagers had made me give up movies for the last few years. The 21 and over age rule is what makes me their biggest fan.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,931,074 times
Doesn't sound like the smartest business plan in the world given the current economy. I understand the age limit and that makes sense. However turning away good paying adult customers because they don't look right is really stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte