U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,492 times

Advertisements

I did a quick search, but did not find much from people who have actually been to the Epicentre Theaters.

So has anyone been and can comment on the place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 AM

677 posts, read 2,013,626 times
I've been, but did not see a movie. I was there for a meeting.

1. The VIP seats are very big and very comfortable. The arm rest can be moved up to make a 'love seat' out of two seats.

2. When you buy your tickets, you buy your seat. No need to worry if you're walking in after the previews finding two seats next to each other that are open.

3. The food from Mez is great. They catered our meeting and provided BBQ, Chicken skewers, Homemade Chips, Sauteed veggies, and pizza. The pizza was great, but probably small for the price.

4. I think beers run around $4 a pint, but you're allowed to bring drinks into the theaters.

5. If you want to pay the price of the ticket and enjoy the extra amenities then I say it's worth it. If you're there JUST to watch a movie, I'd say save $10 a ticket and catch an AMC $5 matinee.

To put this into context, I'm an avid movie goer. I am very cautious on what theaters I will go to, even if I feel like going to see a stupid larry the cable guy movie. The crowd has to know how to behave, and the theater has to enforce their silence policies.

The food has to be worth what they're charging for it, or allow you to bring your own.

Price of a ticket has to be reasonable for the service you're getting.

The theaters at the epicentre are theaters I would use for a special night out with a date, or for a movie I really want to see, lets say, I'll test run this theater on XMen Origins: Wolverine. After watching a movie in the theater I can provide a more accurate review. But so far it is very promising.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
To put this into context, I'm an avid movie goer. I am very cautious on what theaters I will go to, even if I feel like going to see a stupid larry the cable guy movie. The crowd has to know how to behave, and the theater has to enforce their silence policies.
That's my big thing. We watch a lot of movies, but almost always at home in the media room. I don't think I've seen a movie in a theater since that "Halloween" remake came out a year and a half ago. I gave up on theaters back home (have yet to go to a movie since moving here) as I just got fed up with kids texting (or even talking) on the cel-phones during the movie and people just displaying a lack of manners for their fellow movie-goers.

I'm hoping their under-21 policy at night, coupled with the price, means that the crowd will be a bit more courteous and "well-behaved" so that people there can actually enjoy the movie.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 AM

During the epicentre theater's presentation they did for us the guy in charge said that they do enforce a dress code, but had to be PC and didn't go into detail.

Basically they're trying to make it as upscale as possible but still allow you to be comfortable. I don't know about you, but I don't want to get popcorn butter stains on my 3pc suit. They understand that. Also, I feel that if I were to have a problem serious enough to talk to an usher about it, the usher will do something about the problem. Lets say kids texting in front of me. I'm confident they would resolve the issue.

If you're worried about enjoying your movie experience, I've found that Northlake theaters, a week after release, Sundays before 1PM is a great time to catch a movie. But that's just the time that happens to work for me. Usually the theaters are uncrowded and $5 a ticket. (I'm cheap too).

But like I said, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the epicentre theaters should I have a good enough reason to spend $15 on a movie ticket.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:53 AM

85 posts, read 363,419 times
My husband and I went on Christmas Day for appetizers at Mez and then a movie at the theatre. It was really nice for us because we weren't quite finished our martinis that we ordered at Mez, but they let us take the drinks into the theatre with us. You can order any food or drink from the restaurant or bar and take it in.
The decor is stylish and very hip, but we did think that the music coming from the bar area was a bit too loud. It was hard to talk over the music is you were sitting near the bar.
The theatre itself was very clean, upscale, with awesome seating and sound.
We paid $12/ticket, but if you want to go to a clean, new, modern and upscale theatre, it's well worth it.
Also - the dress code just says no sports jerseys, sweats, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to wear a suit or dress, just don't go looking like a slob.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Bawlmer View Post
Also - the dress code just says no sports jerseys, sweats, etc. It doesn't mean that you have to wear a suit or dress, just don't go looking like a slob.
That's what I was trying to get at.... I just didn't know the 'exact' dress code. While I could wear anything to the movies at north lake, I have to put on some jeans and a polo (normal attire for me) for epicentre. Guess I can't stumble over hungover to watch a movie in my sweats

Old 02-03-2009, 05:01 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,035,328 times
It is an amazing theater, I have been there a few times in the past few weeks.
Picture and sound is excellent! My usual theaters are Arboretum and Phillips Place which have not been updated in over a decade.

It is expensive though, night tickets are $12 (free parking but you MUST get it validated), but you get to pick your seats and can even order a full meal IN the movie. The food is actually quite satisfactory. An interesting concept for the area. Jeans/Khakis and a polo are my casual attire, so no odd looks - I've never done anything (other than running/working out) in sweats/T-shirt, so I can't comment on that...

FWIW, we walked in the bowling alley and it was PACKED.
No openings that night, had to make a reservation a few days ahead.
Seems to be some pent-up demand for downtown night activities other than drinking.
Viva Charlotte!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 PM

189 posts, read 525,715 times
Just build a home theater. Thats what I did!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
QCP

185 posts, read 464,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
My usual theaters are Arboretum and Phillips Place which have not been updated in over a decade.
That's actually why I go there. The teenagers tend to go to the newer-nicer Stonecrest. I actually drive past the Stonecrest theaters to get to the old rundown Arboretum theaters.

(Outdated theater - rude teenagers) > (new theater + rude teenagers)

It's simple math...

Old 02-22-2009, 06:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Me and my partner decided on a night on the town at the Epicentre and had a blast.

We arrived at the epicentre around 8pm and parked in their garage. then we went to the theatre and purchase our ticket. The lobby was very sophisticated and no flashy movie posters or setup. Our movie didnt start til around 9:45 so we had time to kill and grab a bite to eat. The crowd was very light IMO for a Saturday night which I thought was odd.

What is up with the escaltors only going up?

9:30 we went back to theatre and as soon as you pass lobby you enter this bar it was crazy for me being a newbie in this experience. I love the chandeliers and picture frame TV's , really cool.
The seats we sat in was very plosh , drink holder, and double arm rests.
You have option to bring food in if you desire. Nice.

We saw The International and it was a good movie.
After we left the movie it was weird it had to be around midnight and the whole epicentre was crowded but not over bearing. Even a line for the next movie

Epicentre in my opinion makes Charlotte a real city.. NICE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte