Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM

616 posts, read 1,750,917 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were talking about this in the car this evening. We both said we need a definition of patriotic that says it's patriotic to pay your taxes, it's patriotic to say times are tough and we're all in this together so I'm (well paid CEOs etc.) going to give up some compensation, it's patriotic to realize (and put into action) that we must share in burdens as well as benefits. I mean, we hear that it's patriotic to die for one's country, right? Sharing the burden of our messed up economy is certainly less painful than dying!!

I'm less than objective about this because I recently read that partner's profits at the law firm from which I was laid off are up 7% this year compared to last year. Could they have said hey, let's give up 1/2% of those profits so the 120 staff we laid off across the country could keep their jobs? Those staff would still be paying taxes, paying on their mortgages, making purchases, instead of sucking up unemployment benefits and looking at foreclosure, etc. You know, most of the laid off staff were middle income folks, who couldn't afford to be without jobs, while partners (even younger ones still paying off law school) have more resources, and more of a buffer between themselves and the economy.

OK, I'm all worked up now, let's see where this goes.

Last edited by abcornwell; 02-04-2009 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

206 posts, read 514,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Why don't we do it? Wouldn't it be awesome if thousands of workers across the country came out at the same time to demonstrate peacefully yet forcefully? Employed, laid off, no longer looking, underemployed, conservative, liberal, old, young ... demonstrating that the middle class is here; we're tired of being forgotten or taken for granted; we're sick of waste and the incredible conceit of the wealthiest; and we're not gonna take it anymore.

Who could organize this? It could happen. I'd demonstrate, I'm no good at organizing though. I can paint posters and signs!
Cool, just like the French did about a week ago

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
What are you referring to?
The extreme end of the "working class vs. the wealthy" is the basic premise of communism. Wealth distribution and and class-less society. Now I know that the poster wasn't referring to that, but it's logical conclusion is that.

I prefer the idea of pulling people up and creating new wealth (hence my thread on businesses to start).

Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Haven't enough people lost their jobs without giving companies incentive to let even more people go?
In other words fear wins....
Let 'em get away with it because "we're scared of the repercussions", not "%#@* you and your greed...we're not going to take this anymore"?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Haven't enough people lost their jobs without giving companies incentive to let even more people go?
I'm not suggesting rampaging the streets, or abandoning one's workplace. Peaceful demonstrations of solidarity around a common theme - no name calling or finger pointing at particular businesses - at a time when people can show up, wouldn't be a reason to lay a person off.

Am I interpreting your comment correctly? That if a person demonstrated publicly, lawfully, that they could be laid off or fired from their job?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:58 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Who can afford to do this?

If I were wealthy, I wouldn't care!
Why do we need money for this? All you gotta do is bring yourself.

Quote:

That's the thing, they already are getting laid off. It's hard enough to do all the work after the layoffs, then they'll lay everyone else off?
Will they do that?

I don't know...I don't know what the repurcussions would be.
But I have a feeling they want us to be scared, scared of no paycheck and they want us realiant on the government and corporations. They programmed us this way.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The extreme end of the "working class vs. the wealthy" is the basic premise of communism. Wealth distribution and and class-less society. Now I know that the poster wasn't referring to that, but it's logical conclusion is that.

I prefer the idea of pulling people up and creating new wealth (hence my thread on businesses to start).
Sorry, Miker, but letting a few CEOs know that you're not happy with their gluttonous behavior is hardly the launching of communism.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:

I agree, I think pulling people up and creating new wealth is important. There are many facets to be explored. But I think people are angry and hurt and it can be a good thing to speak up about it. It's not good if folks just demonstrate and then just go home and do nothing about the issues.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:

I thought the same thing you did - Bolsheviks, Hee Hee. Oddly enuff, I didn't think about the French!!!!

Yes, the OP was not talking about class war but interestingly - there is a lot of discussion about class war all over the web . . . people are disgusted.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
I agree, I think pulling people up and creating new wealth is important. There are many facets to be explored. But I think people are angry and hurt and it can be a good thing to speak up about it. It's not good if folks just demonstrate and then just go home and do nothing about the issues.
I agree with you there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Sorry, Miker, but letting a few CEOs know that you're not happy with their gluttonous behavior is hardly the launching of communism.
Well that's why I said extreme end of that concept. Besides the way to get a gluttons attention is to take away his means to eat, not necessarily standing outside his window while eats. Protest with the pocket book is the only attention getter that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte