U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,767,381 times

Advertisements

With the talk of the economy, a lot of pull back in spending, the debate on whether we're in an recession or headed towards a depression, is it media induced fear or is it real. I was thinking of which businesses regardless of size that seem to be doing well or at least weathering the storm.

We know that the banks are pulling back and as a result, real-estate, legal, and all those adjacent fields have pulled too.

However I'm sure there are businesses that are doing fine (and dare I say, thriving). Also there are probably ideas out there for businesses worth starting. Hewlett Packard started during the Depression, so was Walt Disney, sure you've all heard the story.

So what businesses are working, or do you think will work in Charlotte and the surrounding area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,134,749 times
Maybe more mom-and-pop shops as people become more and more annoyed with the franchises and corporate crap.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,810,139 times
Fast food chains are still thriving, if you have the start-up fees and money to get it off and running.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:39 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,680,136 times
Try either opening up a Mickey D's, Spam, or Ramen Noodles plant and you should do well.....

In all seriousness, maybe some sort of debt consolidation service company comes to mind.....

I honestly don't know......

Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 AM

70 posts, read 242,515 times
I'm in the process of buying a business right now and I had an interesting talk with the bank the other day. They are not lending at all to build commercial space on spec, but if you have the capital to put down to build your own building you are in luck. Also, they are still lending to buy the business provided that it makes sense to do so. Yes, the banks are more restrictive than they have been in the past few years (with good reason) but they are still open and doing business. I am an avid news viewer but I have resolved to not watching many of the sensationalized reporting that is going on. Every time one person gets laid off it seems to make the news these days and is doing nothing but creating a sense of panic. How productive can we be as a society when our attitudes are so poor? Obama had it right in his innaugural speach "pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off"!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,016 times
I do business with two machine shops that are doing great.
In fact, 2008 was one shop's best year in over 20 years.

The 'repo-man' is quite busy

Old 02-04-2009, 06:41 AM

206 posts, read 454,225 times
Car repair shops shops seem to be doing well.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
Car repair shops shops seem to be doing well.
I predict they will see a surge in business later this week.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Repair businesses, whether auto, home or shoes! People are finally waking up and facing that we have become a disposable society . . . and instead of throwing out that pair of shoes that still have plenty of life in them . . . why not re-heel them? I daresay a whole generation of people (Gen X'ers) have never repaired their shoes so they can keep wearing them longer, but Boomers sure have. I think that is the new attitude . . . fix it, use it some more . . . I also think people are gonna want to buy American as well as support the local business owners around us.

The fiber of commerce in this country is rooted at the Mom and Pop level. We need to get back to our roots. Maybe this current economic situation is best viewed as the period where Americans GOT REAL.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-04-2009 at 07:57 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 PM

77 posts, read 199,085 times
Speaking of Auto Repair shops..............

I'd like to open a European car specialty shop (BMW, Porsche/Audi and Mercedes) in Mooresville. There's one down in Huntersville who is very busy these days...only other options are to go the dealer.

I've got 30 years of business contacts (here in the states and in Germany/UK) for parts, tools and equipment. Plenty of good mechanics in the area...especially with the layoffs in Nascar. Looking for the right person to partner with (too busy with my regular business to do it alone) who can bring equal value to the business. Contact me at steve@ultimategarage.com if interested. Steve D

PS - I'll be in town next week if you want to discuss in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or