U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2007, 08:45 AM

31 posts, read 104,844 times
Default Interesting Article on selecting schools

Interesting article I just read, i'd like to see people's comments. With the constant issue of schools being raised here, I thought some might be interested in this.
How Not to Pick a School - washingtonpost.com

We are a white, middle-class family. Our children attend our neighborhood public school, Mount Vernon Community School, two blocks from our house in Alexandria.

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,787,246 times
Default Great perspective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Interesting article I just read, i'd like to see people's comments. With the constant issue of schools being raised here, I thought some might be interested in this.
How Not to Pick a School - washingtonpost.com
This article could have been written about the Monroe area schools. I think her points could address why realtors steer folks away from Monroe. And everything she says about her experience could be found to be true in Monroe, as well. Sometimes we fear what we don't understand. When we cluster outselves together with folks who look just like us we miss the opportunity to learn and know something important. As my area is becoming more and more "wealthy," I worry that my children are picking up some of those condescending behaviors and attitudes. That's when they say my "Ms. Freedom & Justice For All" lectures come on and the fife music begins...

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-14-2007, 10:41 AM

225 posts, read 580,144 times
kudos fbf2006,

Great article!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:07 PM

634 posts, read 1,672,231 times
Great Great Article!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:16 PM

476 posts, read 1,112,760 times
Awesome article! Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:21 PM

478 posts, read 1,421,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
"Test scores are an indicator. But what are they an indicator of? The education of the parents and the wealth of the community. They're not an indicator of how good the school is," said Gary Orfield, an education researcher with Harvard University's Civil Rights Project.
Since 'wealth of the community' does contribute positively toward test scores, families who move into wealth(ier) communities can expect their children to benefit academically.

ESL, just as special needs, should and does take time, resources, if taught properly. If a school isn't prepared to manage these kinds of student issues, then there is a knock on effect into classrooms and individual pupil performance.

So, yes, a child can receive a less than optimal academic education in such a school. Perhaps their social education would be superior, as the author tries to convince us. But it is completely understandable, not some 'whispered' irrational fear of 'white, middle class parents', why parents who can afford to put their child into a school with proper resources to teach all pupils, do so. 'The wealth of the community' is something reflected in exclusive exurbs, and families (and realtors!) know this.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:45 PM

225 posts, read 580,144 times
[quote=muse1110;457881]Since 'wealth of the community' does contribute positively toward test scores, families who move into wealth(ier) communities can expect their children to benefit.

I think I must have read this differently. Here's what I got. Test scores and wealth are not the only indicator of whether or not a school is right for your child. It is up to the parent to research all the factors of a school and come up with an informed decision. Just because a school has high test scores and a wealth of resources does not mean it is the best fit for your child. What about the level of experience of the teachers and administrators, what about classroom size, resources for english as a second language, diversity, ap courses, early graduation, extension programs with local colleges. What about parent involvement. Each of these factors plays into the overall development of a healthy and well rounded child. I think the author of the article meant for us not to get so caught up in the hype about scores and look at all the factors before making a decision.

People so often try to use test scores to predict success. I have often found that the most successful people in this world are not the ones who tested highly, but the ones with the drive to succeed regardless of their educational environment.

As parents we all want what's best for our child. I think the article is stating we all need to do our homework when it comes to selecting a school for our child.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:32 AM

309 posts, read 631,965 times
Very interesting article. I agree sometimes we get too caught up in a school's test scores. My son is in 5th grade. The town we currently live in has one school K-8. The scores for the school are great. Before we moved to the town I heard nothing but praise for the school. And yet I have been quite disappointed in some of the teachers he has had over the years. We also need to remember that our children are individuals and all learn differently. Just because a school's test scores are great doesn't necessarily mean it is the best school for your child. And also these standardized tests are not always indicative of a child's performance. Last year on the NJAsk my son scored just barely proficient and yet his report cards all year had A's and B's. Go figure. Test scores should just be one factor in how we evaluate a new school. We cannot live and die by them.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:47 AM

7,163 posts, read 11,845,625 times
Barbara I couldnt have said it better...My son too just made proficiency and yet he does get A's B's and 1 C...LOL....that is in Math...but honestly he freezes on those tests and doesnt do well....so I have to Agree with you on all points...

Old 03-15-2007, 11:53 AM

309 posts, read 631,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Barbara I couldnt have said it better...My son too just made proficiency and yet he does get A's B's and 1 C...LOL....that is in Math...but honestly he freezes on those tests and doesnt do well....so I have to Agree with you on all points...
Staci,

Can't wait to see how my son scores this year on the NJAsk they just took this week. I wish they would just do away with all standardized tests!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte