U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 PM
 
673 posts, read 2,434,315 times
Reputation: 322

Advertisements

For those of you who asked isn't this common sense - the answer is no. I have lived in FL all my life & have never dealt with snow. When it snowed a few weeks ago, I cleared off my windows of course, but I didn't bother cleaning the snow off of my hood or the top of my car. I figured it would just melt & go away by itself. I actually thought it was neat to keep what little bit of snow was left on my car! I don't believe I had ice on my vehicle that could blow off and hit another car, but honestly, if I did, I don't think I would have thought about removing it. Why would you expect someone to know this stuff if you have never lived in a cold climate? Now that I think about it, my husband took his truck to work that day & when he came home, he still had icicles hanging off the bottom of the truck. Guess he didn't know to get them off either (he too has lived in FL his whole life). By the way, I do start my car & put the defroster on for awhile as well as scrape my windshield when there is ice on it. I knew not to pour boiling water on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
3,423 posts, read 9,227,970 times
Reputation: 2031
Don't feel bad. I grew up in CT, and lived in upstate NY for a while, and I don't remember anyone ever clearing the snow completely off of their car. Usually it was just enough to see through the windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 03:19 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,989,864 times
Reputation: 4402
A better strategy for avoiding an unfortunate accident in inclement weather is to slow down and not follow too closely. If you allow a proper following distance ice falling from a car should be no hazard.

Gravity acts at 32 feet per second squared. That means that ice falls 32 feet in the first second from rest. That's a good deal further than the height of even the tallest interstate-traveling trucks... sooooo, if you're leaving your required 2 second cushion (more in bad weather per the law) you are in no danger from falling ice/snow.

Instead of soap-boxing about de-icing one's vehicle, look after your own business. The person who relies on OTHER people to keep them safe is taking unnecessary risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
1,105 posts, read 4,168,559 times
Reputation: 628
Hell, I even lived in Pittsburgh for four years (grew up here though), and never noticed people cleaning their cars off completely. I am sure for every person that did, even up there, there was a person that didn't. I know I never did, I honestly never thought about it and I have never heard any problems from it.

Also, I am sure that a time or two isn't a big deal, but leaving your car idling for more than 30 seconds on a regular basis is VERY bad for your engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
For those of you who asked isn't this common sense - the answer is no. I have lived in FL all my life & have never dealt with snow. When it snowed a few weeks ago, I cleared off my windows of course, but I didn't bother cleaning the snow off of my hood or the top of my car. I figured it would just melt & go away by itself. I actually thought it was neat to keep what little bit of snow was left on my car! I don't believe I had ice on my vehicle that could blow off and hit another car, but honestly, if I did, I don't think I would have thought about removing it. Why would you expect someone to know this stuff if you have never lived in a cold climate? Now that I think about it, my husband took his truck to work that day & when he came home, he still had icicles hanging off the bottom of the truck. Guess he didn't know to get them off either (he too has lived in FL his whole life). By the way, I do start my car & put the defroster on for awhile as well as scrape my windshield when there is ice on it. I knew not to pour boiling water on it.
I'm not going to fault you for what you did. You made an attempt to clean your car.
I mostly have problem w/big trucks and gas guzzling suv's because they carry tons of snow on the top and make driving hazardous more than say subcompact cars.....
Also, today's storm was a sissy storm basically..the roads were dry by 10am....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,714 posts, read 8,457,827 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Instead of soap-boxing about de-icing one's vehicle, look after your own business. The person who relies on OTHER people to keep them safe is taking unnecessary risks.
Very true. But for some of us who have lived in climates where we got a lot more snow than they do here, we (or myself at least), have had experiences of having snow from a car ahead of us cause visibility problems, or have a big chunk of ice fly off of a car and smack into our hood or windshield.

I don't think its soap-boxing at all so much as it is asking some of our fellow drivers to take a few extra minutes, if only as a courtesy, to help make the roads safer for everyone (which includes themselves - if their windows aren't clear, they can't see very well either). Especially given that even a relatively small amount of the white stuff can cause problems on the roads as driving in it is a rarity for many people around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 06:28 PM
 
1,367 posts, read 5,088,085 times
Reputation: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Don't feel bad. I grew up in CT, and lived in upstate NY for a while, and I don't remember anyone ever clearing the snow completely off of their car. Usually it was just enough to see through the windshield.
Same in Illinois. When it's 0 degrees with wind chill and there's a foot of snow, no one is cleaning off their car completely. Usually if you're getting blinded by snow from the car in front of you it means you're driving too close anyways. Maybe people here are just paranoid since they're not used to it, I probably would be to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Reputation: 2323
One word when you live up north:

GARAGE!!!

I did not know anyone without a garage in Chicago. Sometimes, my car would be outside since both mom & dad's would be in the garage, but, I did not dare drive off without completely cleaning off the car. (a 1966 Chev Impala for car buffs...and you know how big THAT was!) My father would have killed me! (for causing someone else to wreck by the falling snow/ice off my car)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
One word when you live up north:

GARAGE!!!

I did not know anyone without a garage in Chicago. Sometimes, my car would be outside since both mom & dad's would be in the garage, but, I did not dare drive off without completely cleaning off the car. (a 1966 Chev Impala for car buffs...and you know how big THAT was!) My father would have killed me! (for causing someone else to wreck by the falling snow/ice off my car)
LOL, very good point.

Just park it in the garage and you wont have to worry....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Huntersville
1,852 posts, read 4,666,295 times
Reputation: 525
Geez, in snow storms up north.. I don't remember clearing more than site lines.. and you just drove slow.. because.. well who knows what you could hit anyway>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top