Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times

Advertisements

To follow up on that thread about folks (I believe the label was "jackholes") not brushing the snow off of their cars before hitting the roads...

This admitted "jackhole" from Florida poses the following pondering:
What, oh wise folks of the north, do you propose to do when the snow is frozen to your car???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
go back inside and call it a day.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
Growing up in NJ and getting my driver's license one snowy December morning, my father absolutely insisted that the entire car be cleared from snow and ice before hitting the road. If he caught me trying to leave without doing this, my car privileges were taken away. That's a big deal for a 17 year old!

All you have to do is allow some extra time to thoroughly defrost your car before you leave. Turn the car on, get the defrosters going, and attack the windows with a good ice scraper and brush. By the time you're done scraping the windows, the defrosters will have warmed up the car enough to melt anything left on the hood, so you can just brush that away. Same with whatever's stuck on the roof, doors, and bumpers. There are softer-bristled brushes out there that you can buy if you're worried about chipping the paint. Regular scraper-brush combos can be found at Home Depot for $4.99 - I bought one for DH the other day.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Growing up in NJ and getting my driver's license one snowy December morning, my father absolutely insisted that the entire car be cleared from snow and ice before hitting the road. If he caught me trying to leave without doing this, my car privileges were taken away. That's a big deal for a 17 year old!

All you have to do is allow some extra time to thoroughly defrost your car before you leave. Turn the car on, get the defrosters going, and attack the windows with a good ice scraper and brush. By the time you're done scraping the windows, the defrosters will have warmed up the car enough to melt anything left on the hood, so you can just brush that away. Same with whatever's stuck on the roof, doors, and bumpers. There are softer-bristled brushes out there that you can buy if you're worried about chipping the paint. Regular scraper-brush combos can be found at Home Depot for $4.99 - I bought one for DH the other day.
+infinity

You turn the car on and sit in it for several minutes with all the defrosters blasting. Then you get out and clean it off. You don't leave an inch of ice on your car to come flying off at me while you are driving down Independence at 50 miles an hour.

I'm the OP and I saw many more jackholes this morning. Saw several people who had just cleared enough snow to be able to see out the front windshield and several that hadn't even touched the back.

Also, not sure about the law in NC but it is illegal in most states (if not all) to have an obstructed license plate. Even if it is obstructed with snow and ice you can (and should) get a ticket.

I will give one last piece of advice on removing ice. DO NOT try to use boiling water to defrost it. When I lived in MD I saw a girl who had just moved from FL doing that and I warned her about it. Sure enough, when I came home that night her windshield had a giant crack in it.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
To follow up on that thread about folks (I believe the label was "jackholes") not brushing the snow off of their cars before hitting the roads...

This admitted "jackhole" from Florida poses the following pondering:
What, oh wise folks of the north, do you propose to do when the snow is frozen to your car???
Turn on the defrosters and the heat, and let your car heat up so it starts to melt off.

The problem (and the reason for that thread's OP's comment) is two-fold:

1 - If you're driving behind someone with snow on top of their car, it just blows back in your windshield making it harder to see. If its frozen, eventually it melts enough that a frozen chunk comes off and flies right back at you.

2 - If its on your side or back windows - you can't see other cars around you.

Both are a hazard and can cause accidents.

Edited to remove having said the exact same thing as bs13690 about using boiling water.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times
How long should the car be warming up before we drive off?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
How long should the car be warming up before we drive off?
Depends on how thick the ice is and how long it takes your car to warm up. Warming it up makes it a lot easier to scrape the ice and snow off.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
Wow! I'm glad you posted this story... it would never had occurred to me to pour boiling water on the car to defrost it. In the time it would take you to go inside and put on a pot of water to boil, the defroster/scraper method would have done the trick, and would not have caused damage to the windshield. Poor girl, I'm sure she learned her lesson after that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I will give one last piece of advice on removing ice. DO NOT try to use boiling water to defrost it. When I lived in MD I saw a girl who had just moved from FL doing that and I warned her about it. Sure enough, when I came home that night her windshield had a giant crack in it.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Ha! Kinda like sticking your tongue on a frozen pole---you only do it once!!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Ha! Kinda like sticking your tongue on a frozen pole---you only do it once!!
Are you speaking from personal experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: