U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 13,389 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping you can give me some idea of how conservative Charlotte is.
I grew up and lived a number of years in metro Atlanta, but for the last 10 years or so have lived in Colorado (Denver and Fort Collins) and just recently in Portland, Oregon. My husband and I want to find a home back in the south, but am apprehensive about southern attitudes. I know that racial segregation, fundamental Christianity and good ole boy ways of thinking are alive and well in mid-size and small town south, but how prevalent are these attitudes in Charlotte? There is so much I love about the south and want to "come home" but also want to know that I don't have to relive the stifling parts of my growing up there as a woman with an independent spirit. What have been your experiences? Thanks in advance for any insights!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,497,744 times
Default Strange Question

That must be one of the strangest threads I've ever seen. I'm not real sure what you're asking for but I assure you Charlotte is progressive (fully integrated, exactly where do you know that still is segregated), religiously tolerable, and most of us are named something other than Bubba or Billy Bob. As a native Charlottean, I can say I don't think there's anywhere else I'd want to live. If you're worried you won't be able to do whatever your 'independent spirit' is worried you won't be able to do, Charlotte probably is, as a whole, more conservative than you are accustomed to, particularly I would think since you're on the West Coast (now maybe I'm stereotyping). That being said, if there wasn't something positive that comes from an East Coast, southern background, our fine city wouldn't be so sought after. Hope this helps?!

Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 PM

124 posts, read 125,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That must be one of the strangest threads I've ever seen.
Agreed. Stereotypes anyone?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,237 times
The Charlotte area is one of the few areas of the country that has a good mix of conservative/liberal/moderate who actually get along well. No one really feels they have to hide of compromise who they are in order to get along.

Having said that, the tone of your post concerns me. I am a Charlotte area native, a devout Christian, and have some friends who have liberal leanings. We get along and don't harp on our differences. In my church, we have many mixed race couples/families. Your stereotyping is very inaccurate and unfair, just as if I would stereotype others whos stands I don't agree with. ALL stereotyping is wrong and tolerance works both ways. Here, if you can't be tolerant, you more than likely won't be happy here. We all have to see one another as people first and not better than others if they don't think as we do. Being an "independent" woman (or anything else) has nothing to do with this. We don't have to be or think or believe the same. It's a simple case of respecting others, even if they're not like us.

Please take this in the manner in which it's intended. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I just find that sometimes people (both conservative and liberal) can be really hypocritical when it comes to diversity and tolerance. Just open up your heart a little and be more accepting. If can do these things, I can almost assure you you'll love the area. Good luck!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:04 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,692,760 times
Oh man! We've been through this conversation over and over. Charlotte is Charlotte; take it or leave it. It's a beautiful town and yes, there are Christians here. But I sincerely believe that Christians make better neighbors than thugs. At least they knock before they come in!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:20 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,638,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Oh man! We've been through this conversation over and over. Charlotte is Charlotte; take it or leave it. It's a beautiful town and yes, there are Christians here. But I sincerely believe that Christians make better neighbors than thugs. At least they knock before they come in!

You get a rep point!!! Very well said.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:58 PM

477 posts, read 877,627 times
The Charlotte area is, speaking only on the level of national issues - a big-wig politician's dream - as is much of of America these days. As long as there are trivial things to keep thoughts occupied and diverted - like idiotic television programming, suv's, mass consumerism, cell phones, etc. - life is ok. Charlotte is in my opinion, one of the capitals in this country regarding this sort of mindset - If a Martian landed here tommorow, I think he would first ask for a Cracker Barrel menu and this weeks Target flyer.

And... if you are looking for any sense of social activism, the chances of it being found on aisle # 5 at your local Harris Teeter near Charlotte, are slim. I have looked many times, and have only found cat food. Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm very confused about this all.

So....anyways, obviously, there are a ton of transplants here, who bring with them different views and insight that may be similar to mine on what is going on in this country. Ya know - with all the corporate croynism, control of the media, fraudulent wars/occupations, illegal immigration, pilliaging of the constution, etc. etc. All that minor stuff...ahem. But luckily, I can find a bizarre televangalist here on the tube at any given hour to balance my thoughts... It keeps me in check. Love it.

Having said that, though, I do think many people who end up here are in such a flurried mindset - having gone through the ordeal of moving and selling their homes, in search of a better way of life and trying to connect with new people, etc. - that it's difficult to establish a definitive environment here. It's like a foggy daydream all around... with lots of Taco Bell's.

Like Bob Dylan once sang..."The times - they are a-changin'. Only, in reality, they aren't changing. They've changed. And... If you are ticked off about what is going on in this country right now, Charlotte may not be the best place for you. Little character, no soul... and not much sense of place.

Welcome to Charlotte, anyways....

You'll have to excuse me now, I have to watch my tivo-ed episodes of Desperate Housewives.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:14 AM

654 posts, read 1,100,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
Charlotte may not be the best place for you. Little character, no soul... and not much sense of place.
I completely agree with you on this point. Charlotte has absolutely NO character whatsoever...unless you consider strip malls 'character'. This is a major reason why I plan on moving to Chicago after moving here a little over a year ago.

If you are looking for a 'plastic' city then Charlotte is the place for you.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 AM

536 posts, read 1,541,682 times
Default Jurys still out for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
If you are looking for a 'plastic' city then Charlotte is the place for you.
Where I live (South Charlotte), there are a whole bunch of Target's and Harris Teeters, but the "Plastic" strip malls, are some of the most beautiful architecture (for a strip mall) that I have seen. I am from Long Island N.Y., and everything there is like 50+ years old, and should be torn down. Now if you are from any World-renown city (NYC, Chigago) you can't possibly expect the same from a smaller but progressive city like Charlotte. I say give it a little more time.

Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Marka; 03-15-2007 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 11:49 AM

654 posts, read 1,100,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
Where I live (South Charlotte), there are a whole bunch of Target's and Harris Teeters, but the "Plastic" strip malls, are some of the most beautiful architecture (for a strip mall) that I have seen. I am from Long Island N.Y., and everything there is like 50+ years old, and should be torn down. Now if you are from any World-renown city (NYC, Chigago) you can't possibly expect the same from a smaller but progressive city like Charlotte. I say give it a little more time.

Moderator cut: link removed
I'm from LI also. I agree with what you say about LI, that's not my favorite place either. Then again, LI is a suburb of NY, not a major city like Charlotte is trying/claims to be. Honestly, I came to Charlotte because I thought it was a city. Sure I knew it couldn't compare to a place like NYC, Philly, or Chicago, but I was at least expecting a city environment. Instead I feel as if I have moved to Long Island South, only with ALOT more crime. It is a VERY small city center that honestly doesn't have much going on at all, surrounded by suburbs.

I did just move here a year, and mistakenly bought a townhome in November. However I have decided to cut my losses, and save my sanity , and get ready to move out.

Last edited by Marka; 03-15-2007 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or