Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Sigh...
This isn't about flight of any kind...

(pointing the bat signal to the sky...)
Correct. This is about CMS being inundated w/ requests for free lunches from people who do not even qualify for them . . . and then some reporter decides to use those figures as a way of describing CMS as a poverty-ridden school.

That is what it is all about. It is a bogus issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,515,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Correct. This is about CMS being inundated w/ requests for free lunches from people who do not even qualify for them . . . and then some reporter decides to use those figures as a way of describing CMS as a poverty-ridden school.

That is what it is all about. It is a bogus issue.
Yup as usual, very good summary.

The same technology that's used for income verification and whether you've filed your state and federal taxes can *easily* be applied here. It would reduce at least 25% of the fraud.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:48 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,675,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Black folk don't know to load up the truck and move? Is that what you are saying? Only white folk like the burbs? Gosh, we have black families in my neighborhood. I guess someone didn't inform them that they were supposed to cluster in an urban area. I thought that was referred to as "segregation."
What are you talking about? This was about white flight from suburban patches to the exurbs. It's a reality. You are probably white and liberal and have no idea how the world works.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
White flight can absolutely happen in suburbs. In St. Louis, the population of the city was 900K or so in 1950, then white flight started. White families moved to inner-ring suburbs, especially in "North County." A lot of working-class neighborhoods by large manufacturing plants, etc. Over the years, a second wave of white flight happened as those North County neighborhoods started to change, and people went further away...across the Missouri river into St. Charles, which is really an exurb. The city is now about 350K in population, and only recently stabilized because of the influx of people moving into/rehabbing old, historic neighborhoods and downtown lofts.

From what I understand, there is some of the same effect here in Charlotte...from suburbs, say around Eastland, to Union Cty, Lake Norman, etc.
Last time I looked this was the CHARLOTTE forum...not the St. Louis forum. The situation you described above has nothing to do with Charlotte and is not at all what is happening in Charlotte.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,346,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
What are you talking about? This was about white flight from suburban patches to the exurbs. It's a reality. You are probably white and liberal and have no idea how the world works.

You can't be that much of a tool, can you? If so, you have reached a level of tool-iness unparalleled in the internet age.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I am really shocked at your perspective. Given that I have been in real estate/mortgages/underwriting for several years ( in past life) I know what I am talking about. It is you who doesn't. So I will enlighten you. White flight occurs in suburbs to the exburbs (i.e. Davidson and beyond). Statistically and historically speaking, once a school or school system acheives a minority population greater than 50%, whites will not buy in that area and the whites that live there leave. Sometimes this is a slow process; sometimes it occurs overnight. Case in point, there's a town on LI called Baldwin, which was rated as in the top 15 places to live in the country a few years ago. At the time of the rating, minorities recently reached the 50% threshold. Whites won't touch the place with a ten foot pole. Even though, the town has one of the best elementary schools in the state and is 75% black. As a result, crime has crept up as undesireables began to move in (that is to say,people who happen to be minorities but are are social liabilities mixing in with people who happen to be minorities an are outstanding citizens), accelarating the rate of whites moving out to the exburbs.

~yawn~

Old 02-06-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
You can't be that much of a tool, can you? If so, you have reached a level of tool-iness unparalleled in the internet age.
As you know my friend, anyone what that much of an ax to grind has lost all perspective. I vote we don't feed into his agenda

Old 02-06-2009, 10:01 AM

355 posts, read 987,642 times
Quote:
It 2009 and your Archie Bunker mentally is so 1979 I guess the sky will be falling also.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Yep. That's me. Liberal WASP (is there such a thing???)

My, for someone supposedly advocating diversity, you sure are quick to slap a label on others!!!!

And you are not very astute . . . cause labeling me a liberal white anglo saxon protestant who lives in an Ivory Tower and avoids anyone but other WASPs is not only inaccurate - it is very presumptive and arrogant on your part.

It's the 21st Century. "White Flight" is a 20th Century term and in no way describes why people choose to live where they live. We are all defined by our earning power and that is what defines where we can AFFORD to live. The term that best described America at the turn of the 21st Century was "aspirational." People seemed to aspire to a higher standard w/ lifestyle, wh/ included moving to new neighborhoods, wh/ by nature of being NEW means they are gonna be located in the burbs. Of course, some stayed closer to the city core, in neighborhoods wh/ were either already going thru/ gentrification or were on the edge of gentrification. This has nothing to do w/ race - it has everything to do w/ lifestyle (amenities in new home subdivisions) and earning power (what one can afford).

Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 AM

693 posts, read 2,166,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Wild Cheers for Brian! +1!!!!

Stupid "spread it around rule"... it won't let me....hmph!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte