U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 AM

332 posts, read 866,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep. That's me. Liberal WASP (is there such a thing???)

My, for someone supposedly advocating diversity, you sure are quick to slap a label on others!!!!

And you are not very astute . . . cause labeling me a liberal white anglo saxon protestant who lives in an Ivory Tower and avoids anyone but other WASPs is not only inaccurate - it is very presumptive and arrogant on your part.

It's the 21st Century. "White Flight" is a 20th Century term and in no way describes why people choose to live where they live. We are all defined by our earning power and that is what defines where we can AFFORD to live. The term that best described America at the turn of the 21st Century was "aspirational." People seemed to aspire to a higher standard w/ lifestyle, wh/ included moving to new neighborhoods, wh/ by nature of being NEW means they are gonna be located in the burbs. Of course, some stayed closer to the city core, in neighborhoods wh/ were either already going thru/ gentrification or were on the edge of gentrification. This has nothing to do w/ race - it has everything to do w/ lifestyle (amenities in new home subdivisions) and earning power (what one can afford).
Exactly, It economics 101 in a 21st Century world! It more money-driven than race-driven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:56 AM

830 posts, read 1,315,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Last time I looked this was the CHARLOTTE forum...not the St. Louis forum. The situation you described above has nothing to do with Charlotte and is not at all what is happening in Charlotte.
It is exactly what is happening in Charlotte...it just happened in St. Louis and other "older cities" decades earlier than it is happening in Charlotte. Of course there are differences, as Charlotte doesn't have/didn't have as dense an urban core, but the underlying principles are still the same.

There is obviously also "middle class flight", regardless of race...what we have seen in other cities, and have started to see here in Charlotte as well is that as re-development and gentrification happens in the city center, it tends to push poverty out into the inner-ring suburbs. This in turn changes the complexion of some inner ring suburbs, and pushes people further out.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:02 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,311,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
It is exactly what is happening in Charlotte...it just happened in St. Louis and other "older cities" decades earlier than it is happening in Charlotte. Of course there are differences, as Charlotte doesn't have/didn't have as dense an urban core, but the underlying principles are still the same.

There is obviously also "middle class flight", regardless of race...what we have seen in other cities, and have started to see here in Charlotte as well is that as re-development and gentrification happens in the city center, it tends to push poverty out into the inner-ring suburbs. This in turn changes the complexion of some inner ring suburbs, and pushes people further out.
Don't worry. I think our intellect might be over their fantasy, liberal heads. Gauranteed, 10-15 years from now (or sooner) these same folks walk even travel to Charlotte. AND THEY KNOW IT. How many of them move to, invest in, and /or stay longterm in a predominatlely non-white area or an area with a minority growth rate that's increasing at an increasing rate. NONE. Even if the income's were the same. What schools - demographically speaking - would they send their precious liitle ones to? As you said, the principles are there. Last case in point. 4 years ago, I traveled to Charlotte and several real estate agents advised me not to move to meck country - BECaUSE OF THE DECLINING SCHOOLS. The areas that he recommended were majority white in the exurbs. THIS CAUSES WHITE FLIGHT. WHAT WERE CMS's DEMOGRAPHICS 4 YEARS AGO; 6 YEARS AGO; 10 YEARS AGO. SURELY NOT 34% WHITE. white flight duh!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Don't worry. I think our intellect might be over their fantasy, liberal heads. Gauranteed, 10-15 years from now (or sooner) these same folks walk even travel to Charlotte. AND THEY KNOW IT. How many of them move to, invest in, and /or stay longterm in a predominatlely non-white area or an area with a minority growth rate that's increasing at an increasing rate. NONE. Even if the income's were the same. What schools - demographically speaking - would they send their precious liitle ones to? As you said, the principles are there. Last case in point. 4 years ago, I traveled to Charlotte and several real estate agents advised me not to move to meck country - BECaUSE OF THE DECLINING SCHOOLS. The areas that he recommended were majority white in the exurbs. THIS CAUSES WHITE FLIGHT. WHAT WERE CMS's DEMOGRAPHICS 4 YEARS AGO; 6 YEARS AGO; 10 YEARS AGO. SURELY NOT 34% WHITE. white flight duh!!!!
My, my. What an ax you have and what a need to grind it!

We all know what you think. And disparaging our collective intellect still makes your opinions no more valid than ours.

White flight? Ain't nobody fleeing anything - unless it would be crime. And once again I must ask - only white folk know how to load up the truck and move? Only black people want to be in the middle of crime-infested areas? Come on. You are beating a very very dead ole horse here.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM

206 posts, read 453,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post

There is obviously also "middle class flight", regardless of race...what we have seen in other cities, and have started to see here in Charlotte as well is that as re-development and gentrification happens in the city center, it tends to push poverty out into the inner-ring suburbs. This in turn changes the complexion of some inner ring suburbs, and pushes people further out..
This is why your assessment is a bit ridiculous to many of us on this board.... Many already live in middle and upper middle class neighborhoods where the neighbors are white, black, Asian, Latino and bi-racial in Charlotte suburbs. Check Dilworth, South Park, Ballantyne Estates, Ardrey, Piper Glen, Myers Park, etc. (inner or outer ring?) subdivisions in Union County and Lake Norman. We are enjoying each other and just find it so difficult that such emphasis is being placed on 'complexion'. We are looking for good schools, safe neighborhoods and friendly neighbors. Many of us live like we've known each other for years even though many are new to the area. Yes, there are problems with proverty and all that goes with it in Charlotte - just like any city. Proverty comes in more than one color, so does wealth. And may I ask you, have you considered the growing Latino population, many have reached and surpassed middle class status? Where do they fit in? Last time I checked they make up most of the minority population and growing quickly (more than African Americans). And let's stay on point and avoid an immigration debate. The point is because someone is not interested in going down the black vs white debate with you doesn't make him or her out of touch?

Old 02-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,272,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post

Just a little message to you and your little buddy, once the both of you come out from necking behind the bushes...because, ya know, nobody here buys what you're saying. Beyond both of your little modus operandi of just stirring the drink in the forum, here's my humble opinion of everything you've typed in your posts....

http://s3.amazonaws.com/mmc-digi-beta-production/assets/1862/mmw_baseball_040108_article.jpg (broken link)

And one other bit of valuable advice that hopefully doesn't fly too high over both of your heads...

http://www.corestrategies.ca/images/Get%20a%20clue%20(2).gif (broken link)

Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
This is why your assessment is a bit ridiculous to many of us on this board.... Many already live in middle and upper middle class neighborhoods where the neighbors are white, black, Asian, Latino and bi-racial in Charlotte suburbs. Check Dilworth, South Park, Ballantyne Estates, Ardrey, Piper Glen, Myers Park, etc. (inner or outer ring?) subdivisions in Union County and Lake Norman. We are enjoying each other and just find it so difficult that such emphasis is being placed on 'complexion'. We are looking for good schools, safe neighborhoods and friendly neighbors. Many of us live like we've known each other for years even though many are new to the area. Yes, there are problems with proverty and all that goes with it in Charlotte - just like any city. Proverty comes in more than one color, so does wealth. And may I ask you, have you considered the growing Latino population, many have reached and surpassed middle class status? Where do they fit in? Last time I checked they make up most of the minority population and growing quickly (more than African Americans). And let's stay on point and avoid an immigration debate. The point is because someone is not interested in going down the black vs white debate with you doesn't make him or her out of touch?
I live in Dilworth. It's a great area...we moved here for the schools (AG, MP, etc), walkability, proximity to uptown, etc. I would consider Dilworth, Eastover, Myers Park, etc to be in-town neighborhoods more than suburbs, even if some of them grew up as "streetcar suburbs." I love the fact that there are safe and viable neighborhoods close to the city center.

The "inner ring" suburbs that are changing that come to mind are more Eastland area and maybe places like the South Blvd corridor, parts of Steele Creek, etc...

I'm not white or black, BTW...

Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Just a little message to you and your little buddy, once the both of you come out from necking behind the bushes...because, ya know, nobody here buys what you're saying. Beyond both of your little modus operandi of just stirring the drink in the forum, here's my humble opinion of everything you've typed in your posts....

And one other bit of valuable advice that hopefully doesn't fly too high over both of your heads...

Are you done?

Go back and read some of my posts on this and other threads? Where am I stirring the drink in the forum. I'm sorry if I have a different viewpoint and set of experiences than others on this forum.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 PM

60 posts, read 139,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
No....I'm not.

Look, all of the issues that you all are bringing up are important. BUT they are NOT the issue at hand. The issue was never what is CMS using our money for or what they are or aren't teaching our kids...I don't believe its a big scam trying to show that kids qualify for free lunch to get funding...
I believe the economy is terrible, here and elsewhere. I believe that a lot of these kids parents are out of work through no fault of their own and now these families have fallen below the poverty line.

I think this reflects terribly on our city. And I am mad that the bad economy is causing crime to go up in my new home. This is NOT and educational issue...it's an economic one. It's all coming down the the same lack of jobs that we have been warning people about on these boards for the last year.
DAMEMEOW.....I seriously think your very confused.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:43 PM

693 posts, read 1,954,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTIN7 View Post
DAMEMEOW.....I seriously think your very confused.
Maybe, maybe not...and I certainly have been revisiting the issue the last couple of days. Call it gut feeling...but I am just not so convinced the numbers are as artificially inflated as many others here seem to be. I suppose it's possible... and I'm smart enough to know that there are things I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte