Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 AM

22 posts, read 75,895 times

Advertisements

This is a $40/year service, -Magic Jack-
I am looking for honest opinnions.
If you ever use it, could you please share your experience?
My current phone service is with Time Warners, which is about $60/month including international calls.
Thanks.

Last edited by Alexa_Alexa; 04-13-2009 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: wrong amount
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM

852 posts, read 2,459,643 times
I did some research as I was interested in the international calls bit. I decided against it as it was too much like skype and your computer needed to be on to receive calls. I did go the VOIP route but chose lingo which is about $27 a month and that included keeping my own phone number and they give you another number too. I don't pay any international fees now and I call the UK and Ireland about once a day and Australia once a week. Sometimes I get a bad line but I just hang up and dial again. TW do not like it and have told me in the past that it's an inferior product to their digital phone which they charge an international fee for. It has suited me for 3 years now and I am happy with it.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:13 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,844,763 times
It didn't seem to work too well in Mexico when we were there on a cruise.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,525,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
I did some research as I was interested in the international calls bit. I decided against it as it was too much like skype and your computer needed to be on to receive calls. I did go the VOIP route but chose lingo which is about $27 a month and that included keeping my own phone number and they give you another number too. I don't pay any international fees now and I call the UK and Ireland about once a day and Australia once a week. Sometimes I get a bad line but I just hang up and dial again. TW do not like it and have told me in the past that it's an inferior product to their digital phone which they charge an international fee for. It has suited me for 3 years now and I am happy with it.
This area needs major competition in this space. I wish Verizon or even windstream would step up the game a bit.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,858,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa_Alexa View Post
My current phone service is with Time Warners, which is about $60/month including international calls.
Thanks.
I use Vonage for $31 (including tax) per month including long distance and overseas calls. It is a good deal except I have had quite a bit of trouble with voice fading and such. When you call with a problem, it takes at least an hour. First, you speak to the first tier service employees. After 45 minutes, they decide that they can't help you and forward you to the second tier. The cost is good, but the quality is not the greatest overall. I find that when you use a service that operates off of your computer, there is never a concensus as to who houses the problems that come up. Vonage blames my computer service, visa versa. Sixty a month seems really high.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,858,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
This area needs major competition in this space. I wish Verizon or even windstream would step up the game a bit.

The problem is that they are available in certain parts of the city. Where I live in Cornelius, I am really limited. I use Mi-Connection and they aren't the best.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,444,222 times
My only gripe with VoIP service (specifically Vonage, but I assume all VoIP services do this) is the 911 service. It's not the same e911 you get with Time Warner. Vonage's 911 service goes to some command center in the middle of the country...you have to verify who you are and where you are, then they forward you on to your local authorities. Wayy too many steps in an emergency. I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,797,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa_Alexa View Post
Thanks.
I tried Magic Jack for 3 days and ended-up returning it for a refund (which they honored, no problem). The quality of my line wasn't great, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was caused by my inconsistent internet connection rather than the device itself.....and I have Roadrunner Turbo.

Several of my conversations I had to ask the other person to repeat themselves because the line went silent for, say, 1 second every 15 seconds.....kinda like when you have call waiting.

If I were on a tighter budget (or at college) I may have put up with it, but to me (along with the number change/having to keep the computer on etc) I decided it was too much of a hassle.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM

22 posts, read 75,895 times
I thank you very much for all the info.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM

87 posts, read 341,621 times
I've been using ooma.com VoIP service for a while and been very happy. No monthly service fee whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte