Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I already pay into a system that I do not use.
Isn't that helping?

The wife and I would consider CMS (and she has been a teacher for 15+ years) if it was broken into much smaller, accountable, and more responsible units.
What school district (i.e. HS) are you in? How is that district doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
What school system are you in?
Private.
My children attend my alma matter.
Private school is our largest monthly budget item and it is a sacrifice.
But we would live in an apartment, share one car, and eat noodles every day to make it work, if things came to that.

Last edited by mullman; 02-05-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-05-2009, 09:50 AM

69 posts, read 277,463 times
I was under the impression that a large part of the reason for the sudden leap in to the 50% poverty range is due to the recession. Families who have suddenly had their income greatly reduced due to layoff or a company's closing are applying for free and reduced lunch but are also looking for new jobs and are seeing it as a temporary need. So while there are many poor families in the CMS system, I don't think there has been a sudden leap in CMS poverty.

In addition, with the recession it would seem likely that more kids would return to CMS from private schools. I wonder if the next year or two will see a swing back to lower poverty levels for this reason.

By the way, people who actually work with the poor say that it is only a small group percentage-wise who abuses the system to buy fancy cars, clothes, etc. The vast majority of poor people work hard to provide for their families but they don't make enough money to make it through. You don't see them because they aren't doing anything that makes them stand out, whereas those who do abuse the system are easy to spot. Don't forget too that right now many middle class families are slipping over the line into poverty because the primary bread winner has been laid off and cannot find work in spite of much effort.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
So . . . do I understand this correctly? That these "poverty" figures are based on applications for free school lunches?

Do you all not see the game being played here?

They do not require proof that families are actually at the poverty level when they apply for free school lunches.

I thought one had to fill out all sorts of forms and IRS docs attached, etc. But turns out - NO. The schools actually ENCOURAGE families to say they need the free lunches, b/c every application represents FREEBIE MONEY from the Feds.

What a crock.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So . . . do I understand this correctly? That these "poverty" figures are based on applications for free school lunches?

They do not require proof that families are actually at the poverty level when they apply for free school lunches.

I thought one had to fill out all sorts of forms and IRS docs attached, etc. But turns out - NO. The schools actually ENCOURAGE families to say they need the free lunches, b/c every application represents FREEBIE MONEY from the Feds.
Exactly, Ani.
At the end of any mystery, is money...
CMS sees the writing on the wall, County and State budget shortfalls are a certainty over the next few years.
Nothing pulls on the heartstrings like parading out hungry children.
How else can we have another blockbuster bond on the ballot in November?

What angers me in a thread like this is the mantra of 'Save the kids, save CMS, we need MORE money, raise taxes!'
Truth is, more money is rarely an answer to any real problem.

Last edited by mullman; 02-05-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Exactly, Ani.
At the end of any mystery, is money...

What angers me in a thread like this is the mantra of 'Save the kids, save CMS, we need MORE money, raise taxes!'
Truth is, more money is rarely an answer to any real problem.
You know, it all comes down to federal money and how these public institutions can figure out a way to access more of it.

Same for hospitals dealing w/ medicaid and medicare.

Everyone is trying to figure out a way to get their reimbursement check.

This country has absolutely gone to hell b/c of federal monies being disbursed like candy.

My head is spinning thinking about the absurdity of all this. The day that the federal government obtained the right to dictate how individual communities will educate their children - and how that education will be funded - is the day that things started going to hell in a hand basket w/ education in this country.

You explain to me why it costs so damn much to educate kids. It is not like the teachers are raking in the dough.

We did a better job when everyone was in a one room school house. I swear.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
You know, it all comes down to federal money and how these public institutions can figure out a way to access more of it.

This country has absolutely gone to hell b/c of federal monies being disbursed like candy.

My head is spinning thinking about the absurdity of all this. The day that the federal government obtained the right to dictate how individual communities will educate their children - and how that education will be funded - is the day that things started going to hell in a hand basket w/ education in this country.

You explain to me why it costs so damn much to educate kids. It is not like the teachers are raking in the dough.

There was a report on a mid-western school district that conducted an experiment by going back to the one-room school house. Saw the report several years ago and it gave high marks to the experiment. No idea where it is today.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Quote:

You are absoultely correct. That's why I send my son to a small-church-pvt school. Cost me $500 a month, but he's doing multipilcation in the 1st grade. A relative of mine in another state sends his daughther to public school and they doing 7+/-1=??? addition and subtraction in the 2nd grade.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:

What a crock.
I would agree with you. It's a very simple process to cross check the guardians SSN against a federal tax return. The IRS does it all the time, and you get those "you haven't filed your return" notices in a split second.

As with all of these programs, the people that truly need it or now lumped in with those scamming it. That's the real tragedy here.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:

My head is spinning thinking about the absurdity of all this.

Nobody has made more sense in this thread.

This new stimulus plan reminds of a day after the WTC attacks when John Gambling, mid morning host on WABC radio at the time, became one of the first time bring up the "m" word. He said something to the effect of, "Folks, there's a ton of money that's about to be handed out in compensation. Who is going to manage this, how is it going to be managed, and how is it going to be apportioned?" He saw a disaster in it's own right and sure enough, it became a fiasco. When you're dealing with over 900 BILLION in stimulus, we're now left to worry not only about pork barrel projects on the state level, but now on the local level. This has the potential to be another disaster with too many people sticking their open palms out in the direction of DC looking for whatever their definition of "fair share" happens to be.

To add insult it's going to be given largely to the same people who supposedly f**ked up in the first place.

A mismanaged lunch program??????? Please... Tell them "we're letting it fail if need be" and watch how fast it becomes properly managed again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte