Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
You are absoultely correct. That's why I send my son to a small-church-pvt school. Cost me $500 a month, but he's doing multipilcation in the 1st grade. A relative of mine in another state sends his daughther to public school and they doing 7+/-1=??? addition and subtraction in the 2nd grade.
You're making my point!
You could be driving a nice new Mercedes, but instead are investing in your most valuable asset, your precious son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You explain to me why it costs so damn much to educate kids. It is not like the teachers are raking in the dough.

We did a better job when everyone was in a one room school house. I swear.
People want to deny it or twist the fact, but some of the greatest Americans of all time were educated in a one room schoolhouse.
It worked. More money will not make a smarter child.
Regardless, things in the schools will not improve until people improve.
We must return to level of personal responsibility, personal accountability, and respect for oneself and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I agree Mull that the same people who are getting their kids on the free breakfast/lunch programs are living in Government housing on food stamps and are driving new 740's and S550's..When will that free handout stop???

Old 02-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I agree Mull that the same people who are getting their kids on the free breakfast/lunch programs are living in Government housing on food stamps and are driving new 740's and S550's..When will that free handout stop???
I am not sure I would go THAT far.

My grandfather worked until the day he died of heart failure (laundry service and short order cook).
My grandmother was a mill worker (worked nights).
Together they never made more than $27K (in today's dollars), yet never asked for a handout, never complained about working full time.
They raised two children who were always fed and clothed - my father and aunt had a great childhood.
When my father asked his parents one time if he could have a baby brother, their reply was they just could not afford it.
Imagine that!
Growing up, I remember my grandparents always having pretty new cars (1-5 years old), and when going through their papers settling the estate they actually left a small nest egg and zero debt.

I am not saying it is easy by any means, but I have seen it done.

My point, expanding upon an earlier post in this thread, is that we have enabled people to not be responsible for their actions.
Government and socialized programs, albeit great ideas on the surface, have spiraled out of control.

Last edited by mullman; 02-05-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 AM

47 posts, read 106,970 times
Regardless, things in the schools will not improve until people improve.
We must return to level of personal responsibility, personal accountability, and respect for oneself and others.

I can't imagine anyone would disagree with this, but how do you do this? Problems exist in the schools NOW, and changes in moral values aren't going to happen overnight.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:56 AM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
How much more can we be taxed?
Where does it end?
What if CMS buses did not travel over 100,000 miles each and every school day and we put that money directly into the schools?

Admit it, Johnson's Great Society is a total failure.
We have raised 2-3 generations of people incapable of supporting themselves or their offspring.
Ride by a public housing project and see how many cars are newer than yours and have rims and pumping stereos, yet these people need assistance from you to put a roof over their head. NBC6 just covered that 'poverty' according to CMS is a family of 3+ making under $28K per year. I know single people that do not speak english that make more than that, albeit they have 2-3 jobs. Our country does not know real poverty.
Our 'poor' people have iPods, and Playstations, and 6 pairs of shoes.
They are not really 'poor', just incapable of making sound decisions since someone else will always be ultimately responsible for their actions.
Gosh, Mullman, you sound so angry.

Join the club. What you described makes me sick. Although we are not rich by any standard, my son is going to private school next year, and I don't care what I have to give up to put him there. And I completely agree you on the fact that CMS is WAY too big, WAY out of control, and needs to be divided up into smaller districts.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM

355 posts, read 992,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So . . . do I understand this correctly? That these "poverty" figures are based on applications for free school lunches?

Do you all not see the game being played here?

They do not require proof that families are actually at the poverty level when they apply for free school lunches.

I thought one had to fill out all sorts of forms and IRS docs attached, etc. But turns out - NO. The schools actually ENCOURAGE families to say they need the free lunches, b/c every application represents FREEBIE MONEY from the Feds.

What a crock.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 AM

693 posts, read 2,175,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiker View Post
or just let it fail...

There's a great attitude.

Unfortunately, I think there are many other people with the same idea, and apathy surely doesn't help.

Everyone should ask themselves what they can do to help -- volunteer, spend time in the schools, encourage people in their neighborhoods to support the schools.

If everyone abandons the school system for other counties or private schools, it won't be long before CMS does resemble the schools in Atlanta and other large urban areas.

At least with private schools you get out what you put in to it. Throwing good money after bad at CMS just doesn't have as good a return. With private schools you get what you pay for, the same cannot be said of CMS.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Join the club. What you described makes me sick. Although we are not rich by any standard, my son is going to private school next year, and I don't care what I have to give up to put him there. And I completely agree you on the fact that CMS is WAY too big, WAY out of control, and needs to be divided up into smaller districts.
+1

There even a government handout to make sure everyone can upgrade to digital TV so they can continue to watch the flow of mindless dribble!

Fund the libraries so people can read, but when did watching American Idol become a Constitutional right?

Last edited by mullman; 02-05-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-05-2009, 11:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
This whole thing about 50% of the school children being at poverty level . . . now these stats get published and Charlotte is gonna be labeled as "at risk" blah blah.

That stimulus package has money for "at risk" schools.

How ridiculous. Let's get ourselves declared an "at risk" school district so we can qualify for more handouts from the Feds. And let's take it a step further. The education lottery money. A massive chunk of it goes to "at risk" four year olds. AT RISK FOUR YEAR OLDS???? What the hell is an at risk 4 y/o???? Oh, yeah. It is a child whose momma smokes crack and is living in subsidized housing and and is too stoned out of her head most of the day to notice what her kid is doing, so the state has figured it is better to have the kid in a program wh/ is essentially subsidized child care for gubment check recipients. And supposedly that will keep the child from being influenced by other crackheads at age four. I GUESS!

Shameful. What a society we have become - where it is a goal to get labeled AT RISK.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Exactly, Ani.
At the end of any mystery, is money...
CMS sees the writing on the wall, County and State budget shortfalls are a certainty over the next few years.
Nothing pulls on the heartstrings like parading out hungry children.
How else can we have another blockbuster bond on the ballot in November?

What angers me in a thread like this is the mantra of 'Save the kids, save CMS, we need MORE money, raise taxes!'
Truth is, more money is rarely an answer to any real problem.
mullman - Coming from NJ, I know the answer is not more money! The state throws nearly 7 billion into failing urban school districts and the test scores are still in the basement. More money doesn't seem to produce higher test scores, but "crying for more" is still the mantra! It may be time to give "teaching to the test" and NCLB the heave-ho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte