Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Have any of you dealt w/ small claims court here in Charlotte?

I did three stories for a local magazine publisher. Sent first invoice in September . . . started working on taxes and my bookkeeper advised I had never received payment for those articles. Sent another invoice in December.

No payment

Now I am getting really peeved. Appears magazines have been sold to another entity and as of this minute, I do not know who the buyer was, but am digging on that. They should have assumed the debt, but again - appears to me my invoices were never on their books as payables.

What would you do? Write letters to the former publisher and new owners (if I can ascertain who they are) . . . or go to Small Claims Court, or what?

Any ideas? Former owners are located in Meck - I have no idea where new owners are located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:43 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Small claims court might be a waste of your time/money since the co. was sold. I would recommend trying the BBB or the attorney general's office. Even if the co. was sold, the co. that you wrote for is liable for the work. I assume that you have copy of the article as it was published? If sending a very stern "DEMAND" notice (by certified mail) does not work, I would send copies of it all to the atty general.

With small claims court, all you will get is a judgement against the co. which would be useless since it has been sold.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Small claims court might be a waste of your time/money since the co. was sold. I would recommend trying the BBB or the attorney general's office. Even if the co. was sold, the co. that you wrote for is liable for the work. I assume that you have copy of the article as it was published? If sending a very stern "DEMAND" notice (by certified mail) does not work, I would send copies of it all to the atty general.

With small claims court, all you will get is a judgement against the co. which would be useless since it has been sold.
Well, after doing more research (and getting some info from others who have also worked for this outfit) the guy that owned the magazines is still in business. In fact, it appears he just sold the magazine portion of his existing company, wh/ appears to still be in business. (He does videos and advertising, evidently) Who knows?

I am really aggravated. Yes, I can send the demand letters all over, LOL.

I also plan to call the Matthews Chamber of Commerce, BBB, and anyone else I can think to call if I don't get a check very quickly.

I was afraid Small Claims Court might be a big hassle.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:46 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Default Have you ever thought about this meet-up group?

YouTube - The GodFather - Theme Song

Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,716,789 times
Ani, was your piece published?
Just b/c the magazine was sold, doesn't mean you're not entitled to compensation. Keep at it. You know the sweaky wheel always gets greased.

good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Ani, was your piece published?
Just b/c the magazine was sold, doesn't mean you're not entitled to compensation. Keep at it. You know the sweaky wheel always gets greased.

good luck!
Yes, I have been able to prove that two articles were published. The third I don't know about b/c I have never seen that issue of the magazine. They were supposed to send me copies of the magazines w/ my published articles for my portfolio (wh/ was the only reason I agreed to write them - wanted some articles w/ my byline on them as most of what I write professionally is not attributed to me).

I found there was a website set up that has online versions of the magazine, but that one issue was not on the website (two different magazine titles). One is for the Matthews audience, the other is for the Cabarrus/Kannapolis audience.

ETA: The writer's guidelines state that they will pay w/in 30 days of receipt of invoice for all assigned articles, even if they are never published.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, I have been able to prove that two articles were published. The third I don't know about b/c I have never seen that issue of the magazine. They were supposed to send me copies of the magazines w/ my published articles for my portfolio (wh/ was the only reason I agreed to write them - wanted some articles w/ my byline on them as most of what I write professionally is not attributed to me).

I found there was a website set up that has online versions of the magazine, but that one issue was not on the website (two different magazine titles). One is for the Matthews audience, the other is for the Cabarrus/Kannapolis audience.

ETA: The writer's guidelines state that they will pay w/in 30 days of receipt of invoice for all assigned articles, even if they are never published.
Ani, interesting that this company is involved with video, as I've run into a higher than usual incidence of failure to pay with them.

I would try one more time to get paid, & clearly state that you expect immediate payment & will take action if not paid immediately.

On day 31 submit a complaint to the attorney general, with a follow-up with the (tv) consumer reporter of your choice (The reporter will keep checking with the attorney general's office.)

Reporters will want to interview you but will happily either digitize you or shoot you in silhouette & process your voice so that it is not recognizable.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, interesting that this company is involved with video, as I've run into a higher than usual incidence of failure to pay with them.

I would try one more time to get paid, & clearly state that you expect immediate payment & will take action if not paid immediately.

On day 31 submit a complaint to the attorney general, with a follow-up with the (tv) consumer reporter of your choice (The reporter will keep checking with the attorney general's office.)

Reporters will want to interview you but will happily either digitize you or shoot you in silhouette & process your voice so that it is not recognizable.
Well, I have written the owner at several addresses as of this morning. Luckily, another writer gave me what telephone numbers they have for the guy, as well. So I will also try those today.

If I do not get a response TODAY from him - either via phone or email - I am going to write the Matthews Chamber of Commerce, the BBB, the AG's office and anyone else I can think of writing.

Anyone know how I can find out who owns the publications now?

Last edited by brokensky; 02-09-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 AM

Update: Owner on phone and he is being very conciliatory.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Update: Owner on phone and he is being very conciliatory.
He should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte